Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after some help/guidance.

I've just collected my 04 plate GT-TDI, Fantastic car, great drive and all the trimmings. There was an additional triangular remote along with the keys - the dealer had no idea what it was and guessed it was for the alarm! However (with the help of this forum) i've identified it as being part of an auxillary heating system for the car - however there's no mention of it in the Manual or on the VW website.

Does anyone have the same system, and can give me some pointers as to how to use the system?

Thanks in Advance

James

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hello & Welcome! Looks like you have the 'weather pack' there. Not many cars have this as it was dropped as an option early on in the life of the Mk V and was about ?850 if you did go for it. This thread will give you a few clues - http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/54378.aspx

You should have the larger 'highline' mfd to operate its menus and timer (in other words its a full height display between the tacho and speedo rather than the normal split one which has a sort of black plastic bar across it).

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MarkV thanks for your reply.

Yep sounds like the option I have - Highline display, and an Aux-Heater option under the MFD settings

- I still can't figure out if it's working properly, if i hold down the "on" button on the remote, the led on the remote turns green, the Heating displays (dial,temp etc) in the car all light up, but then all switch off again - I was expecting the fans to start blowing and warm up the car to.

Am I missing a trick? is there something i need to be doing before the remote will operate the car properly, or do i need to contact the dealer?

Cheers

James

·
Registered
894 Posts
There are three pages of instructions in the Manual ( which you don't have ! ) on operating the auxiliary heater.

You need to get access to Booklet 3.1. Controls and Equipment ( my print date 04/06 ) Pages 107 to 109.

Maybe somebody on here with these and a scanner could oblige ?

Otherwise I would nip into a dealers & ask them to copy the relevant pages for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes My manual has no mention of the Aux heater function, although i have a feeling its one of the early versions

The Dealers about an hour away - can anyone give some basic steps just so I can test the system? (a scan of the manual would be fantastic!)- i've got a feeling the systems not working properly (i've tried every button combination i can think of and no joy). If I know it's not working then I can get the dealer to look at it while i'm there to collect the extra bit of the manual.

Cheers

James

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'd check in the meantime that you have actually got the system fitted to the car.

There should be a seperate exhaust pipe, to take away the emissions, ' located under the car in the middle of the vehicle.' quote.

Also have you an ' immediate heat button ' in the heater or in the Climatic or Climatronic air conditioning system ?

( its shown as a button with three swirly lines of heat rising vertically )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have that button (you've answered another question I have) - and i can see the extra exhaust pipe. I'm more convinced there's a problem with the system, when I press the immediate heat button, should  it stay lit? (i've tried with both the engine running and wthout and it goes out after a second or two)

·
Registered
894 Posts
It says....can be switched on using the immediate heat button.... A lamp in the button lights up. Press again to switch system off.

( doesn't say if it should remain lit but I suspect it should )

The system automatically switches off or can't be started if you're near reserve level in fuel tank by the way.

If you use the special remote there is a sequence of potential 'flashes' from the small green LED when pressing 'on' button.

One of which may be relevant.....'If display flashes green quickly for two seconds... The supplementary heating system is blocked, eg because the tank is nearly empty or there is a fault in the supplemetary heating system'

Normal LED sequence is 'Lights up green for two seconds' to confirm switched on.

Other sequences/colours in LED have other meanings.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

I have one of these thingys installed, it is really cool.

The computer isn't actually a full highline, only half of one, for instance, you cant change the security options, eg locks all of the doors above 9 mph. But what it does have is an extra menu called Aux Heating, I think, in here are can change all maner of settings. Including, switching between venting and heating (for summer and winter). When it starts, when it stops, etc.

What I think has happened, is that you have you activation time set to a really low value, I have mine set for 20 mins.

You are lucky that it is still working, mine developed a fault in the remote control, it turned out to be that a wire had corroded between the aerial and the actual control unit - which was fixed under warranty, thank goodness, since it took them 3 days of mucking about to figure 1. what the thing was, 2. If it had a problem, 3. where the circuit diagrams are! I did get an additional free remote for my trouble, cost to replace approx ?200

Mine didnt come with any instructions initially, but I did get VW customer support to fax me some when they became available, the quality is that brilliant, as I said, they faxed them to me, but I could did them out if you need them.

Its a fantastic bit of kit, especially now that winter is upon us, I have already used mine a couple of times, it saves you going out and scrapping your windscreen, all you do is press the button 15mins before you want to leave and when you come to leave, the car is nicely heated to 22degC and the windscreen is clear. It would have been nice to turn the defrost on the rear windscreen and be able to set the temperature other than 22degC - but you cant have everything.

When you press the "On" button, what happens is that the remote initiates a two way conversation with the car, it turns the aux heater on and then the aux heater send a signal back to the remote control to tell it that it has activated correctly, and the same for the off button - its quite important since the car actually burns diesel to heat the car!

Also, you might be surprised to hear that the remote is suppose to have a 0.5 km range! What I like to do in the summer is just before I leave the office is press the button and by the time I have got to the car it has vented some of the hot air (Obviously, setting the system to vent rather than heat!) The venting works, but if your car has been sat in direct sunlight the plastic dash has heated up considerably and no amount of venting is going to do much good, I started to use one of those sunscreens during the really hot summer just gone that we have and the dual combination works okay.

I hope that has helped you in some way, if not, and you need to know anymore, let me know.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
all you do is press the button 15mins before you want to leave and when you come to leave, the car is nicely heated to 22degC and the windscreen is clear. It would have been nice to turn the defrost on the rear windscreen and be able to set the temperature other than 22degC - but you cant have everything.
I thought the whole idea of these systems is that they operate on a timer. Whats the use if you have to remember to switch the thing on each morning?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's a menu option (in the MFD) to set it to come on in a timed fashion, as well as a remote control for ad-hoc switching on/off - so you can do both. It's such a great sounding feature that it's a shame I can't get it working.

I'm going to give the dealer a call this morning to see if i can get the instructions faxed through and maybe book it in for an inspection - I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all for your help so far, even though i haven't got it working it's been a great excuse to try the car and take it for some more drives.

James

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I'm going to give the dealer a call this morning to see if i can get the instructions faxed through and maybe book it in for an inspection - I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all for your help so far, even though i haven't got it working it's been a great excuse to try the car and take it for some more drives.

James
I felt sure it had a timer. If the dealer faxes the instructions to you I will be amazed. I would even be amazed if they knew what the system is let alone knew how to operate it (and a fax machine).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

In my first paragraph, i say "When it starts, when it stops, etc." So, yes in the menu, you can change what time it starts and what time it stops.

Its just that I actually dont leave the house at the same time everyday, so I just use the remote.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I felt sure it had a timer. If the dealer faxes the instructions to you I will be amazed. I would even be amazed if they knew
what the system is let alone knew how to operate it (and a fax machine).
Yes, it does have a timer, see my slightly earlier post.

I would concur with this, if the dealer actually know what it is, it will be quite amazing! VW themselves, said that it wasn't an option in this country, and refused to believe that I had it installed at first!

Make sure that you say that it is *not* the winter pack and that it is different to the weather pack on a passat, I think that they called the winter pack on a passat a weather pack

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If you think yours is not working, check to see if yours is set to cool the car down, rather than heat it up.  If it is set to cool, then it may not work because the AC does not work below 4 degrees.

·
Registered
894 Posts
dunno,

A useful piece of kit.

As a matter of interest as its a seperate diesel burner, that provides the heat, do you notice much of a change in fuel consumption in using it or is it negligible ?

Grate pity its not an option over here anymore.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If you think yours is not working, check to see if yours is set to cool the car down, rather than heat it up. If it is set to cool, then it may not work because the AC does not work below 4 degrees.
The problem is Jim does not have the instructions so trying to check or operate anything is, at best, guesswork.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well my first problem of not having the instructions has been solved - the Dealers happily found the correct bit of the manual and faxed it through to me (good service from VW Cirencester), but it also confirms that my auxillary heating system is not working [:(]. Hopefully this'll be sorted under the car's warranty, i'll give the dealers another call, and i'll report back on how it goes.

Thanks all for your help

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it booked in on the 5th of December - they're going to fix the "Weather Pack" (sounds like they knew it existed) under warranty, spoke to their sales team regarding this issue and they passed it onto the Service department who phoned me back within 15 mins - must say, i'm impressed with the service so far. (and thankfully i don't have to be without the car until december).

I'll let you all know when I get it sorted.

Cheers

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts