Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is passionate about his 2.0 TDI Mk5 - aren't we all? However, when the windscreen is filthy, he refuses to use the windscreeen wipers/washer and would prefer to have impaired vision. His argument being that unless it is raining, the wipers are dry and the initial wipe is across a dry windscreen (before the washer fluid comes out) this will damage the wipers and reduce their life.

Is this reasonable behavior? You can guess my view, but if there is someone out there who can sell this idea to me better than he has, I'll be delighted to listen. Bare in mind that sometimes he drives for miles with a truly filthy windscreen!

·
Registered
320 Posts
LOL

I must say I get a little sensitive about using them with my xenons on, as the washer activates the jets in front of the lights, and washer fluid cant be good for the paintwork around the lights! However, if I cant see, then I would much rather change my wipers every month then crash into something or worst someone because of a filthy windscreen!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
He IS correct !

However there maybe a compromise.

If your quick and cunning, a very quick press on the washer should get some water up on the screen beofre the autowipe starts. You may have to do this several times to get it wet enough to cancel out the wiper blade wear behaviourable disorder.

Think of it another way...

Wiper blades are only 20 quid.

A far bigger danger is scratching the screen, which will happen in the end, again 50 quid via insurance.

However, I side with hubby and think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I too hold back on wiping a dry windscreen - its just not good for both the wipers and screen.

Only when it gets really bad will I eventually give in, but more often than not, I'm home again before it gets that bad, so I chuck some water on it first and then wash it.

If its just wet roads, if you get a truck to go past and spray you with water from his tyres, this can be a chance to wipe with minimised danger....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh no..this isn't another "Craig C" thing happening is it ??[:O]
Not sure who Craig C is but this is really me. Hopefully she has, ahem, got it off her chest now (the windscreen wiper issue that is).

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Craig's wife posted a reply when he had mentioned something "private" on here..not happy. He hasn't posted since[:(] but he's still alive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A car is an extension to your body. You should be able to relax and enjoy driving whilst keeping alert and excited.

If you are going to add extra stress about the wear and tear of it or increase the chances of an accident because of poor vision then the enjoyment diminishes immensely.

Good vision is paramount to good driving. I will wash my windscreen when I get the tiniest piece of dirt. I do not worry about wet and dry. I just get on with it and I usually change my car before the blades need changing anyway.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My husband is passionate about his 2.0 TDI Mk5 - aren't we all? However, when the windscreen is filthy, he refuses to use the windscreeen wipers/washer and would prefer to have impaired vision. His argument being that unless it is raining, the wipers are dry and the initial wipe is across a dry windscreen (before the washer fluid comes out) this will damage the wipers and reduce their life.

Is this reasonable behavior? You can guess my view, but if there is someone out there who can sell this idea to me better than he has, I'll be delighted to listen. Bare in mind that sometimes he drives for miles with a truly filthy windscreen!
I just checked on mine to confirm, when I acivate the screen wash , fluid comes out for a time before the wipers start moving, both front and rear, on the front there is another single wipe a few seconds after about 3 sweeps....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Avanti: Isn't that delayed wipe just a blessing! Thanks for your comment.

I guess those who believe Mark V is being sensible must think that the spray prior to the wipe is insufficent to alleviate the impending damage to the wipers. In which case, if there is anyone from VW design team reading this, there is opportunity for a design enhancement. Perhaps if wiper blades were cheaper and more easily replaced, we would not have to be concerned about their preservation.

Perhaps, if the insurance companies know that Golf drivers are more likely to drive with inpaired vision it could increase the insurance premiums considerably.

There is also the thought that Golf drivers use less washer fluid, which means the demand for it at the sales counter is lower, thus pushing down the price (basic economic theory). So a secondary benefit of not using the wash/wiper facility is to maintain a lower price of washer fluid. That can't be bad.

(Sorry chaps, you'll not see any marital desputes on the forum for us. How could I ever be angry with a man who cleans my wheels constantly. Wonderful!)

Mrs Mark V - this time correctly logged on!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Avanti: Isn't that delayed wipe just a blessing! Thanks for your comment.

I guess those who believe Mark V is being sensible must think that the spray prior to the wipe is insufficent to alleviate the impending damage to the wipers. In which case, if there is anyone from VW design team reading this, there is opportunity for a design enhancement. Perhaps if wiper blades were cheaper and more easily replaced, we would not have to be concerned about their preservation.

Perhaps, if the insurance companies know that Golf drivers are more likely to drive with inpaired vision it could increase the insurance premiums considerably.

There is also the thought that Golf drivers use less washer fluid, which means the demand for it at the sales counter is lower, thus pushing down the price (basic economic theory). So a secondary benefit of not using the wash/wiper facility is to maintain a lower price of washer fluid. That can't be bad.

(Sorry chaps, you'll not see any marital desputes on the forum for us. How could I ever be angry with a man who cleans my wheels constantly. Wonderful!)

Mrs Mark V - this time correctly logged on!
Are we both reading from the same hymn book? What is all this fuss about windscreen wiper preservation? Get replacements (Bosch) from Halfords, say, every 12 months or less, whatever is your want as they are only ?18 a front set, I believe. They are about the easiest wipers to replace and fit. Just put your wipers into the 'service' position and rotate each one through 90 degrees when they will then slide of their respective spindles - hey presto!

They could not be easier to replace - what on earth is all the fuss about????

[:(][:^)][:#]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marvin, its all actually rather 'tongue in cheek' and is really more about my other halfs amusement at my reluctance to use my wipers if the windscreen is dirty for fear of scratching the glass! She wants to bring this to the attention of the world in the hope that I will adopt a more cavaliar atitude to the act of windscreen cleaning. For my new year resolution, I will certainly try!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Marvin, its all actually rather 'tongue in cheek' and is really more about my other halfs amusement at my reluctance to use my wipers if the windscreen is dirty for fear of scratching the glass! She wants to bring this to the attention of the world in the hope that I will adopt a more cavaliar atitude to the act of windscreen cleaning. For my new year resolution, I will certainly try!
LMAO!

I'm with Mrs Mark V....

It's only a wiper damn it! You'll be selling the car before the wipers have done enough damage to the screen to warrant replacement.

And the wipers are only ?20 like someone has said.

It's designed to clean the windscreen when its dirty.

Imagine the damage a dirty windscreen with reduced vision could cause when you are driving especially in the current climate. It'll be a bit more than ?20 I think.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It may be a 'tongue in cheek' remark to you but my partner resolutely refuses to use her wipers and washwipe facility when driving her car in which I'm often a reluctant passenger.

She'll drive for miles with the windscreen getting dirtier and dirtier until I can no longer hold my peace and say something like "for goodness sake can't you clear the windscreen so we can see out" or similar remark, to which she might say "don't nag, I can't do two things at the same time" !!!

You might see, therefore, why it has exposed a raw nerve with me.

[:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I'm with Chungster and marvin. Keep it clean.

By the sounds of it I am the *COMPLETE* opposite to Mark!!!

I must get through an entire tub of screenwash in the engine every 10-14 days in this weather. If there's so much as a speck of dirt on my window, on comes the wipers and washers.

You get about 2 seconds pre-wash (which is enough to soak your lights, your windscreen, the sideo f your car, the back windscreen, and that stupid tw*t behind you who's tailgating you - it's a powerful weapon this screenwash stuff I tell yers!), and off it goes.

Now, I look at the other way. Because mine never gets absolutely filthy, whilst they get used more, they have a lot less "grit" to remove in one go. So I'm not expecting too bad a condition of the wipers, as opposed to a massive amount of grit at ONCE sliding across the screen, slowing the arm down, putting more pressure on the blade, and carving naughty pictures in my windscreen.

I've been anal like this ever since I started LEARNING to drive - driving instructor had a good sense of humour, but even he was aghast at how much his screenwash bill rose for those few months [;)]

Merry Christmas all!

C

·
Registered
524 Posts
I can't stand any blemishes on my windscreen - get it wiped for goodness sake!!!! Next you'll be walking to work for the fear of wearing down your tyres LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts