Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This is my first winter with the Golf, and since the weather has turned cold (3.0 degrees here this morning!), i've noticed that the windscreen is misting up really badly on the inside. Does anyone/everyone else's do this, or am i doing something wrong like not closing off vents for exmaple?

Also, the climatronic seems really bad at clearing it - is this something that we've all to live with?

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
398 Posts
the joys of an oil burner! my TDi is also pretty crap at clearing the windscreen when it's really cold - the engine doesn't heat up very quick so only cold air is blown

at least the heated seats kick in after a couple of mins so i get warmth from them

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at least the heated seats kick in after a couple of mins so i get warmth from them
Ha ha, i'm with you on that one, will be nice when we get to having to scrape ice off the outside and something to thaw your fingers out with!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ha ha, i'm with you on that one, will be nice when we get to having to scrape ice off the outside and something to thaw your fingers out with!
haha yep - i wouldn't like leather seats without heat in the winter

·
Registered
398 Posts
i've got climatronic and it's left on auto all year round but in the winter the engine takes so long to warm up being a diesel it doesn't clear the screen very quick as it's only blowing cold air

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Providing its not frozen, which at 3 degrees it won't be, the humidity of the aircon should clear a misted screen virtually instantly.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Use the recycle air button. I find that this cleans the windscreen quicker than using just normal air con or climate.

Hope this helps cause it does for me

Tam

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use the recycle air button. I find that this cleans the windscreen quicker than using just normal air con or climate.

Tam
I'll give that a go then, as I was having to resort to wiping it off with hand this morning, so there's going to be paw prints all over it once it drys out! LOL

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Hi all

This is my first winter with the Golf, and since the weather has turned cold (3.0 degrees here this morning!), i've noticed that the windscreen is misting up really badly on the inside. Does anyone/everyone else's do this, or am i doing something wrong like not closing off vents for exmaple?

Also, the climatronic seems really bad at clearing it - is this something that we've all to live with?

Cheers [Y]
Leave climatronic to auto (or defrost for a few mins). The air con does not kick in under 5 degrees C regardless of if its climatronic or manual, you won't hear the clutch for the air con kick in.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What about those of us without climate or AC? [:$]
I don't know what you can do. Air con works whatever the temp is set as it dries the air (as well as cooling it, but then its heated up again if needed).

Keep your glass really clean, that helps.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Some say applying a small amount of fairly liquid or RainX or antifog solution for bike helmet visor on the inside of the windscreen might do the trick.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

Tam
Aye.. I don't have ac or climate and my recycle button doesn't work when the windscreen vents are used ! Just have to wait til it's warmed up or use my megs water magnet (like I did this morn) to soak it up !

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

Tam
Aye.. I don't have ac or climate and my recycle button doesn't work when the windscreen vents are used ! Just have to wait til it's warmed up or use my megs water magnet (like I did this morn) to soak it up !

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leave climatronic to auto (or defrost for a few mins). The air con does not kick in under 5 degrees C regardless of if its climatronic or manual, you won't hear the clutch for the air con kick in.
Surely, you'd think it was better to press the button and direct the flow of air at the windscreen? In which case, it turns auto off immediately.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts