Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mk V is having it's windscreen replaced by AutoGlass on Saturday after developing a crack after a stone hit.

I had a windscreen replaced on my previous car but didn't pay much attention to how it was done. Is it a messy job? I wondered if it might be worth taping over the vents on the top of the dash with masking tape to prevent bits of glass falling inside. Worth doing or unnecessary?

Any help or tips appreciated.

Thanks,
Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Stuart,

I've never had it done but have seen it being done to a car outside my work and these guys are good. Unless your window has a huge crack I'd think they will suck the glass out in one piece.

Might be worth mentioning if you have the rain sensor as the windscreen "may" be different - anyone know?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi Stuart

If it's only a crack then being a laminated screen it should come out whole,you might find the dry glue that bonds the screen covers the dash a finds its way into the vents

It wouldn't hurt to cover them.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Stuart,

I've never had it done but have seen it being done to a car outside my work and these guys are good. Unless your window has a huge crack I'd think they will suck the glass out in one piece.

Might be worth mentioning if you have the rain sensor as the windscreen "may" be different - anyone know?
Of course as some of you might remember, about this time last year, I was bemoaning that my windscreen had developed a whitish uneven line at the base of the same, indicating some ingress of dampness into the laminations. Many people on this forum told me of horrors that ensued when having to have their windscreens replaced as it had to be cut around the periphery and then the remains heated to soften the adhesive, which may be of the thermoplastic or thermosetting variety.

Others reported of some damage to the interior trim etc. all of which put me off and in fact never had mine replaced. When the warmer weather came last year, with the onset of Spring, Summer and Autumn this damp line disappeared and has only appeared again over these last winter months.

All of which does not answer your question however, save to say that many screens are replaced successfully as long as you make sure that it is replaced by one of good quality and have it done by a reputable firm. There have been problems associated with tint matching, ripples in glass and making sure that your new glass does have the necessary IR sensor built into it. I realise that your position is quite different to mine in that yours must be replaced - hope I haven't sounded too pessimistic.

Nick

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm reassured to hear that they should be able to remove the cracked screen without breaking it and consequently it should be quite a mess-free job. That said, for piece of mind, I might still just quickly tape up any obvious openings on the top of the dash on Saturday morning.

I was asked when I phoned AutoGlass whether the windscreen had a rain sensor which I know it has. I was also asked if it was tinted. Apparently the options were green, blue or no-tint. I wasn't 100% sure but I faintly remembered hearing that all Mk Vs were green tinted except GTIs which had a blue tint (the R32 wasn't around when I heard this) so I said green. Checking today though if it is tinted green it's very very slight.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'll report back after Saturday.

Stuart

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the windscreen replaced on Saturday. AutoGlass appear to have done a good job. Unfortunately I didn't stick around to watch how they did it and also didn't bother taping over the vents either but it appears to have been a relatively tidy job. No damage or marking to interior trim. Slight mark on each of the exterior black side trims (maybe where they've had to be prized off) but nothing to worry about.

They've put in Pilkington glass which does not appear to be the original VW brand but everything else appears identical to the old windscreen. The new glass looks to match the tint of the other windows perfectly but as I've said before, must be a very subtle green tint.

Stuart

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the rain sensing wipers working as before?
Bit too early to tell.

I am a little concerned though because the auto lights were on a couple of times yesterday when I wouldn't have expected them to be. Also, if you look at the sensor from the front , it looks like they've used a few large dobs of a clear adhesive to secure the sensor to the glass. I imagine that a lot of daylight will now have to pass through this adhesive before it hits the sensor making the lights come on more.

Anyway, I'll see how it goes. Even if this adhesive does prove to be a problem it should be possible for AutoGlass to try again at securing the sensor without having to replace the windscreen again.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I was under the impression that the auto dim mirror slid onto two slides as it were that are embeded into the glass.??

Chris

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was under the impression that the auto dim mirror slid onto two slides as it were that are embeded into the glass.??

Chris
Blimey this does nothing to boost my confidence, I was going to help mine along a little to get a new screen as the screen is the only blemish to date on my 'mint' car, think I'll stick with the little crack for now Ooh errhh [:$]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had my screen replaced under warranty at a VW dealer although I believe it was carried out by the RAC.

I now have large blobs, which I first assumed was trapped air, covering my sensor and don't find the auto-wipers work as well as they used to.

I'll inspect them further this weekend when I clean the car (weather and will permitting!) although can see another trip to VW coming up.

Stu

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It turned out my auto-wipers and auto-lights weren't working as well after my windscreen replacement and so I took it back to AutoGlass on Friday. They were very helpful and checked it out for me and I discovered the "large blobs" are not adhesive but rather a thin piece of flexible plastic which fills the gap between the sensor and the inside housing fitted to the windscreen. Autoglass thought the problem might be due to an air bubble getting between this piece of plastic and the windscreen and so gave everything a good clean and put some silicon gel in there to hopefully irradicate any air. This appears to have helped but it is too early to tell for sure.

I did take a few pictures of the sensor both assembled and whilst in pieces and will put them on my website when I get chance.

Hope that helps.
Stuart

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stuart

Did they have to take the screen out to put the silicon in?

My auto-lights seem fine but the auto-wipers definitely aren't working like the used to.

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did they have to take the screen out to put the silicon in?
Nope.

I imagine the screen just comes with the surround for the sensor already bonded to it. It's just a matter of disassembling the sensor from the old windscreen and refitting on the new.

I still don't think my sensors (rain and light) are working as well as before. I'll wait and see and maybe give AutoGlass one more try because they said to ring back if it was no better and they'd contact VW. Failing that, I'll just have to live with it.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Stuart,

Was it your insurance company who arranged replacement of your screen? They are obliged to correctly fix your car so you don't have to live with it. Might be worth you calling your VW dealer and asking if they have technical advice on how to properly fix this problem. The Autoglass people may not have had the correct technical advice.

Perhaps your insurance company would agree for VW to fix it correctly and the dealer bills the insurer?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Stuart,

Was it your insurance company who arranged replacement of your screen? They are obliged to correctly fix your car so you don't have to live with it. Might be worth you calling your VW dealer and asking if they have technical advice on how to properly fix this problem. The Autoglass people may not have had the correct technical advice.

Perhaps your insurance company would agree for VW to fix it correctly and the dealer bills the insurer?
Kenl, you sound like an optimist in assuming that a VW dealer could fix it properly [:D]

However, they could at least perhaps supply a new IR sensor unit if the 'old' one had been damaged in some way. I know it doesn't help matters here, but I must admit now that I'm glad I did not get those useful optional extras in view of difficulties experienced in having something as basic as a windscreen replacement carried out!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Agreed Marvin - these new fangled gadgets can be a problem when they go wrong.

You would "hope" that a VW dealer would have a better chance of a correct fix than the window replacment people. There should be a technical bulletin describing how to assemble the module correctly to the screen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't hold out much hope, mine was a warranty fix carried out though the dealer however they just got the RAC in to replace the screen.

Stu

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick update on this.

Maybe it's just me but I do think the rain/light sensor is becoming more sensitive. Could it automatically adjust its sensitivity over time I wonder?

Anyway, I've updated my website with details of the windscreen replacement and there's a photo of the new sensor at: http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/vwgolfmk5_wearandtear.php#windscreenreplacement

Not on the website but I also have some lower-quality (camera phone) photos of the sensor detached from the windscreen. If anyone would like to see those, contact me via my website.

Stuart

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I had my cracked Windscreen replaced, I asked my insurance company where could I take it, and they replied anywhere you like! (VW Insurance) So, I took it to my local dealer, because in the event of a dispute I?d rather deal with a mediocre VW Service Receptionist than Autoglass etc!

I believe you can insist on where your car is repaired within reason, and not where Tesco?s or Directline etc insist you take it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts