Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed, quite by chance, in the last few days that at the very base of the windscreen glass on the driver's side there is a wavy band of a white-milky appearance of between 1 and 2mm high. I am assuming that this is water ingress into the laminations of the windscreen glass/adhesive etc.

http://tinypic.com/2bwhog​

Has anyone else noticed this on their MKV's? I think that I'll keep a watch and see how it develops as a new screen might eventually have to be fitted.

[:(!]

·
Registered
263 Posts
I noticed that exact thing on mine at the weekend, when I was cleaning it - again on the drivers side. Like you, I will keep an eye on it!

Al

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'll look in the daylight but from your picture I can't really make it out other than could it not just be sealant?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looking at your picture - mine is exactly the same - don't know if it has always been like that, or if it has only just appeared though...!

·
Registered
101 Posts
That screens started to de-laminate.

It use to take years for this to start to happen. Infact my MK1 Golf GTI has just started to do this in the past year.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Mine is exactly the same all the way along the bottom, so 100% of people with mkV who have checked have this.

Can't believe it is a problem??????????????????????????

Come on everyone else - get looking at your car :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine has it from the middle all the way to the passenger side, about 1mm and the most but then a patch of 2mm at the end.

I bet if I pointed this out to my dealer they would tell me to shuff it! As anyone tryed to report this to VW?

·
Registered
313 Posts
May be linked to this or not ?

But, has anyone noticed that there screen is very easily chipped by small stones etc. Took mine to autoglass to try and get the chips repaired, but he told me they were too small to repair. There are loads of them - could be that these screens are 'weak'.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
mines got a very tiny discoulorattion... but its very very hard to see, its about 0.3mm big and only one one section

my cars only abiout 6weeks old tho

·
Registered
313 Posts
My screen has it as well. It runs the full length of the screen base and is very noticeable.

I checked and there are indeed lots and lots of very small chips. my feeling is that if a stone/object is so small that it makes a very small chip - then perhaps it should not make any mark at all. Does that make sense.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't told you all what happened on the way up from the dealer have I?!?

Well to cut a long story short I was driving up to Edinburgh from Newcastle and passed 2 gritters gritting @ 50 - MPH! well the next day I noticed scratches on the window ad a big fat chip! I am told that my claim for damages to them is in the hands of there insurers at the moment but am still waiting on a phone call!

Got a quote from VW and they quoted around ?400+ for a new screen plus all the rain sensors and labor.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have today, been to my VW dealers in Bromley and showed them the fault at the base of the windscreen. The warranty 'inspector' immediately acknowledged the fault and said that it was a known problem and a bulletin has been issued to VW dealerships. They are ordering me a new windscreen and will have it fitted by the RAC (apparently), on their premises as they possess the necessary window-fitting skills.

So all of you out there who have the same problem should report it and if you're worried get a new one fitted!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks for the update Marvin.

Did you get the impression that any new screen fitted now would not have the same problem or indeed what was causing the fault?

Did he say what would happen long term if you didn't get it fitted?

I'm worried obviously about the car not being the same after a new screen [V]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, thanks Marvin - I share Ken's concerns about the fitting of a new screen. Would be very interested to find out what might happen it it is not fitted - is it weakened? or will the white bit spread upwards?

Al

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a new screen fitted by autoglass (stone crack) and unlike ken and aeg say, the car is fine, they did an A1 job you wouldnt know they'd been there not even an oily finger print.

FTR my new screen has the whit bit as well, but i wont be getting it replaced unless it spreads

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You buggers! You've all frightened me now although deep down I know that I was not keen on having all that disruption and so I have told my dealer to cancel the order for the time being and I am going to to see how, or whether the fault progresses during the coming few months or so. After all the fault is now recognised by my VW dealer and recorded and I am covered for three years with their warranty.

However, when I informed them of my decision their reaction was somewhat muted as they said putting it off might jeopardise my chances of a warranty repair being done in the future if further damaged is cause to the windscreen by stone chips etc. which could be then used as an excuse for the windscreen's deterioration. However, I feel happier, for the time being, knowing that the windscreen is not being removed with the possible risk of introducing other problems such as leaks and especially squeaks etc.

I hope that I don't live to regret my decision

·
Registered
263 Posts
marvin,

Didn't intend to put you off having yours done...!

I don't think you should have problems with leaks or squeeks etc. - I have had windscreens replaced on previous cars with no problems - the windscreens are bonded to the 'frame' now with special adhesive, so the chance of if squeeking or leaking are fairly slim I would have though. I think if the dealer offered me a replacement, I would go for it - is they said, if you get stone chips etc. then they may try to wriggle out of the replacement! My concern is the rain sensor etc and the auto dimming mirror on my GT TDI, but as your sig says, you don't have these on yours [:(].

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote: posted by aeg on 29/03/2005 14:18:22

marvin,

Didn't intend to put you off having yours done...!

I don't think you should have problems with leaks or squeeks etc. - I have had windscreens replaced on previous cars with no problems - the windscreens are bonded to the 'frame' now with special adhesive, so the chance of if squeeking or leaking are fairly slim I would have though. I think if the dealer offered me a replacement, I would go for it - is they said, if you get stone chips etc. then they may try to wriggle out of the replacement! My concern is the rain sensor etc and the auto dimming mirror on my GT TDI, but as your sig says, you don't have these on yours [:(].

Too late now!! the deed is done at least for the time being. I expect it will be like the aching tooth syndrome etc. where you think the tooth has got better and you cancel dental appointment only to find that you now have raging tooth ache again -- Ahh well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Did anyone ever get the 'official' VW service note number for the windscreen issue - Mine is getting worse. I think it is an area where the water tends to sit after it has been raining.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts