Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be finding that my fron windscreen is taking forever to demist, does anyone else have the same problem? I remember this being a problem on my mk iv too. I vaguely remember an "old wives tale" about putting vinegar on a windscreen to stop it frosting over, but don't know of any tips for the inside of the screen. Not having a/c on the s model, it probably takes a little less time to demist on other models, but does anyone have any advice on how to demist the screen any quicker?

I can safely say that the heated front screen is the only thing I'm missing about my focus! [8o|]

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I seem to be finding that my fron windscreen is taking forever to demist, does anyone else have the same problem? I remember this being a problem on my mk iv too. I vaguely remember an "old wives tale" about putting vinegar on a windscreen to stop it frosting over, but don't know of any tips for the inside of the screen. Not having a/c on the s model, it probably takes a little less time to demist on other models, but does anyone have any advice on how to demist the screen any quicker?

I can safely say that the heated front screen is the only thing I'm missing about my focus! [8o|]

Thanks.
That reminds me knew there was something I wanted to post about (VW Hayes mugs being the other thing!) saw in Halfords - rain X anti mist - no idea if it works but worth a go. My mk iv has a problem with misting when its cold enough for the air con not to kick in.

If you try this stuff post back with results

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
you could have a water soaked pollen filter!?!?! check it,make sure the weather seal around it is good,and replace the filter.it's cheap to do,and could be the problem!hope this helps

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Mine fogged over yesterday, hardly ever does it.

I think it was due to the fact that the AC compressor is switched off at low temperature to protect it from ice damage. Without AC you lose the effect of drying the air.

I had to turn the heat and fan up full blast to clear it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Are you refering to mist on the inside? If so I can't see rain x on the outsde being any use.
Its rain x 'anti fog' (not normal rain x) I assume it goes on the inside the windscreen

·
Registered
384 Posts
i get misting alot when i drive the car. when its parked it goes away.

i did try rain x. didnt work for me. i get condensation now on the windows and it happens a lot and is more worse. i could of applyed it wrong?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Make sure your air recirculation button is switched off, ie, allowing fresh air to come in to the cabin. Otherwise your windows will mist up from your own CO2. Do you ever see newish cars driving down the road totally misted up, that because no fresh air is coming in.

Another tip. When your screen is iced up in the winter, pour warm water, (NOT BOILING, not out of the kettle) but just warm water, use an old 2 litre milk bottle or better still, I use a water bottle that I use for cycling, so i can squirt the screen with warm water. Anyway, this will put a small amount of heat into the screen and it won't mist up. De-Ice and drive away in seconds, whilst your neighbour has been De-Iceing/scrapping for at least 5 mins with his enging running.

And before you say, "You'll Crack your Screen" I've been doing since I was 17, I'm now 42 and I've never cracked a screen. Remember, warm, not HOT water.

[:D]

·
Registered
384 Posts
^^^^ i heard by putting vinegar on your windscreen stops the windows from frosting on the outside and misting on the inside.

i have never tried it. i dont like the smell of vinegar but i still put it on my chips [:S]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use to drive a focus and it must be said i am very dissapointed with the Golf when it comes to winter equipment. The focus came with heated front windscreen which was fantastic in icy conditions, it took literally 1-2 mionutes to completly de frost and de mist. The windscreen on the golf takes a long period of time to actually de mist, and de frost which is extremly annoying when one wants to drive off ASAP. VW should invest more into winter equipment and maybe if possible addapt some of the technology used in Fords. Fords do seem to be far more advanced in technology terms than many other manufacturers, most probably because they own the other manufacturers such as Mazda, Jaguar, Austin Martin, Land Rover etc etc

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I use to drive a focus and it must be said i am very dissapointed with the Golf when it comes to winter equipment. The focus came with heated front windscreen which was fantastic in icy conditions, it took literally 1-2 mionutes to completly de frost and de mist. The windscreen on the golf takes a long period of time to actually de mist, and de frost which is extremly annoying when one wants to drive off ASAP. VW should invest more into winter equipment and maybe if possible addapt some of the technology used in Fords. Fords do seem to be far more advanced in technology terms than many other manufacturers, most probably because they own the other manufacturers such as Mazda, Jaguar, Austin Martin, Land Rover etc etc
The one most noticeable and disappointing aspect of my Golf's winter properties is the time taken for the engine to warm up so that the heater would output copious quantiies of hot air to do whatever job was asked of it. Thankfully I don't work now and so don't have to worry about the business of deicing the car whether it be snow or frost that are often present in the earlier hours of the morning and would have been a pain had I had to get my present car in a fit state for driving to work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As I said earlier.............. Inever have a problem with ice or misting, and haven't had in 25 years of owning a car, not even my MK2 1600E Cortina (1st car).

When your screen is iced up in the winter, pour warm water, (NOT BOILING, not out of the kettle) but just warm water, use an old 2 litre milk bottle or better still, I use a water bottle that I use for cycling, so i can squirt the screen with warm water. Anyway, this will put a small amount of heat into the screen and it won't mist up. De-Ice and drive away in seconds, whilst your neighbour has been De-Iceing/scrapping for at least 5 mins with his enging running.

And before you say, "You'll Crack your Screen" I've been doing since I was 17, I'm now 42 and I've never cracked a screen. Remember, warm, not HOT water.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The one most noticeable and disappointing aspect of my Golf's winter properties is the time taken for the engine to warm up so that the heater would output copious quantiies of hot air to do whatever job was asked of it. Thankfully I don't work now and so don't have to worry about the business of deicing the car whether it be snow or frost that are often present in the earlier hours of the morning and would have been a pain had I had to get my present car in a fit state for driving to work.
My 170GT has the quickest heater of all the Golfs I've owned. Infact I was really worried about not having heated seats in this car, and thought I'd really miss them, but this one warms up so quickly I've not felt I've needed to have heated seats so far. That may change as we get closer to February though.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The R32 takes forever to de-mist. I ended up taing one of those leather type things in it. Your talking 5-10 mins and standing until your able to see if the weather conditions have been enough for it to mist up inside. When I wipe it with the leather shammy thing it's fine, so that works for me and doesn't leave horrible smears when the sun streams through.

Find that when driving along I'm always misting up. Either open the window or turn the climatronic fans up. Always happens when it rains.

Haven't tried any products, though a potatoe would surely create a right mess inside of the windscreen?

As for vinegar, I'm willing to try it. I know mum's got some white vinegar at home which doesnt smell I dont think? She uses it for the windows and she does a damn good job with the white vinegar and she prefers it to any household manufacturd stuff. Must say, I used it hen I moved into my house, and it's a lot easier and doesnt smear, don't know why more people don't us it.

I wouldn't mind a heated front screen, I know a galaxy that's sorte within a minute and a half. However, they have knock on effects with GPS signals etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You have just answered your own problem and haven't realised it.

Quote,

Find that when driving along I'm always misting up. Either open the window or turn the climatronic fans up. Always happens when it rains.

It's your own body heat and CO2 that is causing your windows to mist up. Try turning the fan on to position one, and leave it there unless you need it higher. Never turn the fan completely off, that is what is causing your problem. You then use the heater control to adjust to your personal cabin temperature. And make sure that you are letting fresh air in through the button on the dash that stops fumes ect coming in. Again, if that is shut, your windows will mist up in minutes and will not de-mist until, as you say, open your window. That button is for short periods of time only, ie going through Blackwall Tunnel or sitting behind an old bus or car that is chucking out exhaust fumes, It shouldn't be on/shut all the time.

Job Done.

[;)]

·
Registered
384 Posts
hmm....i parked my car the other day, steam free windows, come back 2hours later all the the windows have condensation.

when driving, i do leave the fan on number one but the windscreen will still steam up. the rear windows are really worse. its annoying. is there anything i could try? ive tried rain x twice - didnt help.

would polishing the glass help?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought Rain X Anti Fog yesterday, not had a chance to put it on yet, but it is essentially polishing the glass, will post comments once it's on and had a chance to see how it works.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts