Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pc keeps asking me to up date windows and its service pack 2 that it wants.

A few people have told me not to do this as its no good!,Just want to know your opinions on this.

Cheers Glen...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I updated to Windows XP SP2 a while ago. I've not had any problems with it; it fixes quite a few security flaws, and I like the additional features added to Internet Explorer, especially the popup blocker. I would definitely recommend updating to it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Same as Mark. I've had no probs with 3 PC's now running SP2. Just do it. Microsoft don't really support non SP2 installations anymore.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Before I installed SP2 my PC would crash/ freeze etc.

It is a little better now. I have also updated my NERO burn software as this caused major problems whilst burning CD/dvd's etc

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would recommend you go ahead and install it. It has some nice security features as well as those endless interim hotfixes that MS has released.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless you are doing a fresh install. A lot of people
had endless problems whilst sticking it on an already existing system.
I personally just haven't bothered.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've just rebuilt my pc and installed it first, what with the firewall and popup blocker it is much better than before.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Do it - installed it
on numerous occasions without any probs at all. Might be worth
downloading the full administrator install, but at 266MB it's quite a
download unless you have broadband...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers chaps think i will give it a go!,been told that any program's and games that lets say may be copied[:$] will not work when sp2 is added?

·
Registered
638 Posts
SP2 shouldnt cause any problems for gamers. It was jsut a few bespoke applications in the early days.

Get SP2 sorted. Once you have installed, RUN A DEFRAG. It helps no end, and you will probably find the machine much faster for it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless you are doing a fresh install. A lot of people had endless problems whilst sticking it on an already existing system. I personally just haven't bothered.
Ditto Nick. The twice ive installed SP2 over a fully installed pc its went up its own backside. When installed onto a fresh windows install it runs great though.... much quicker and more stable.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
when you say a fresh install do you mean after the system restore disc's?
If your experienced enought, then I think he means a blank install of XP, followed by SP2. However it may be worth trying it with your system restore discs if you have any trouble in its present state. I for one have had no issues, and indeed sp2 is excellent.[:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I slipstreamed SP2 into a copy of Windows XP Professional so it becomes just one disc and one install.

I then reformatted and installed from that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts