Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its been posted on here before.. many apologies

But about it enriching your laptop life... I dont know

Its just the new version of windows.. Remeber moving from Windows 98/ME to Windows XP

Its the same difference really. You do need a powerful PC to run it mind

Just giving it a download to see what its like

Chris

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sorry i should have made myself clearer, I have seen it mentioned on other forums not on here

Am i missing something or is Bill Gate$ letting people download this for free or is there another agenda in there somewhere

Jay

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sorry i should have made myself clearer, I have seen it mentioned on other forums not on here

Am i missing something or is Bill Gate$ letting people download this for free or is there another agenda in there somewhere

Jay
Beta means test software - you test it for free, it'll lock it self out
after a certain date - and it's not final quality code (not that MS
understand that definition anwyaya) - so basically it'll be full of
bugs and they want you to report them!

If its been posted on here before.. many apologies

But about it enriching your laptop life... I dont know

Its just the new version of windows.. Remeber moving from Windows 98/ME to Windows XP

Its the same difference really. You do need a powerful PC to run it mind

Just giving it a download to see what its like

Chris
No joke... The installer's been going two hours on a spare disk in mum's machine... I know it's only a P3/800 with 512MB RAM - but that's still alright you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:(]

C

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Do you have to run it along side your current operating system if not what happens when the validity runs out ?

Sorry for all the questions

Jay

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It runs untill next year sometime

You can duel boot with windows XP etc As far as i know.. but you dont have to,

You can wrie over your current OS and run Vista on its own.

most people will of purchased a copy of vista by time it runs out... or so M$ think LOL

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
"Enrich" is such a Microsoftism and one they will probably use in the actual marketing of this, at the end of the day it's another poxy version of Windows which will require even more horsepower to run, and we will still have newer hardware that doesn't feel much more responsive than the last generation [N]

Basically Uncle Bill wants a bunch of mugs to bug test his software then charge you for the privilege of the final version, Microsoft has been doing this for decades!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
"Enrich" is such a Microsoftism and one they will probably use in the actual marketing of this, at the end of the day it's another poxy version of Windows which will require even more horsepower to run, and we will still have newer hardware that doesn't feel much more responsive than the last generation [N]

Basically Uncle Bill wants a bunch of mugs to bug test his software then charge you for the privilege of the final version, Microsoft has been doing this for decades!
I'm with Shiu 99% of the way - the only thing I find amusing is that many many developers beta test... It's just MS are huge, and everybody likes to do it for some reason.

I just wanted to see what it looked like, and 3 hours in second reboot later and the loader's buggered. I'll be formatting that disk then until the next build appears!!!

C

PS - you can either dual boot alongside your existing XP or 2k or whatever... Alternatively you can upgrade your XP installation to Vista - however that means there's no real backout unless you've got funky disk image backups!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Not that i'm biased, but, i'm staggered by the 'similarities' between Vista and the now 5yr old Mac OSX.... the very fact that M$ are 'bigging up' some of Vistas features that are merely rehashes of Apples software is frankly unbelievable.

I know you cant take the BETA as how the final will be..... but boy is it a system hogger.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an old spare HD thats got nothing on

Installed Vista on the hd and its SOOO SLOW

Took well over an hour to install and its constantly reading from the HD

I dont have a great system but here are the specs:

Pentium4 - 2.8ghz with HT
768mb RAM
12gb Hard Drive (the spare one)
Some cheap geforce graphics card from a few years ago
Abit IC7-G motherboard

And it runs soo slow on this, dread to think what its like on other systems!! Wounder what you need to get it running well

Chris (using windows XP)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Not that i'm biased, but, i'm staggered by the
'similarities' between Vista and the now 5yr old Mac OSX.... the very
fact that M$ are 'bigging up' some of Vistas features that are merely
rehashes of Apples software is frankly unbelievable.

I know you cant take the BETA as how the final will be..... but boy is it a system hogger.
Yeah I thought exactly the same, however I really like the look and
feel of MAC's (not particularly the functionality though) and am quite
warming to Vista or Ultimate or whatever it will eventually be called...

When you work on PC's day in day out you tend to hunger for something
different and Vista is certainly that although I'm seeing a lot of
features ported directly from XP.

It runs very fast on a P4 3Ghz with a gig of RAM and i've already
optimised things a little by turning off some visual effects. The
constant disk access is due to 'Previous Versions' or Shadow Copies as
it is called on Win2003 Server so you will be able to turn this off if
required...

Its come on a million miles since 2 earlier releases I tried so lets
hope it can go another million miles before full retail release...

So, all in all I quite like it so far although I hope there is a lot of
work for MS to do before they release it as a full retail product.

·
Registered
752 Posts
See they still haven't sorted out the issue where if you s elect UK as a location, it doesn't match to your time zone, i.e. still defaults to 'Pacific/USA/Canada -8.00' and you then have to go and s elect GMT.. [:(]

Something I thought they should of thought about way back in Windows 98...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The constant disk access is due to 'Previous Versions' or Shadow Copies as it is called on Win2003 Server so you will be able to turn this off if required...

How do you do this? I might give it another go if this could be turned off to prevent the disk access.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The installer is slow because it is a temporary measure AFAIK I
know a while back that Microsoft were deperate to port it over to a
disk imaging type instalation as per some hp server equipment ..
partly for speed but also due to the better anti piracy ability
of imaging install methods.

Dont know if the plan is still out there though it alos depends on agreeing license issues with symantec (ghost)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dont know if the plan is still out there though it alos depends on agreeing license issues with symantec (ghost)
So they wont be buying a couple of copys of ghost.. reverse engineering it, changing a few bits making it less reliable and passing it off as theres..lol

Anyway been serious

How would this work? I can see it working for OEM PCs.. but a ghost on a PC that I have built myself... could cause problems... IE default drivers.. auto installing drivers that are no use etc etc
Could be interesting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts