Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just built a new pc for someone and its got a SATA drive which i've never used before

well the BIOS detects it and the Maxtor Maxblast software can find it and set it up but when i put the windows disk in it copies loads of stuff and when you go to install windows it says it can't find a hard drive connected

any ideas?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
you need the sata driver on a floppy disk, then when the XP install
starts from cd/dvd and says "" hit f8 to add aditional SCSI drivers" do
it hit f8 and push the floppy in the drive with the drivers in.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I did this just the other day mate! Make sure you have the floppy disk, if not, download the SATA drivers from the manufacturer website. On the first blue screen you get when installing XP, press F6, it will then copy a few files and then will ask you to insert the manufacturer disk. Depending on the disk there might be a few options, I used the VIA controller and all went lovely from there on in.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.

i just read as much from on the Maxtor site.

now i realise it wasn't such a great idea not to buy a floppy drive

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've never had to do the [F6] SCSI driver install procedure for SATA drives except for SATA RAID controllers. All the motherboards I've used have a function to make a SATA drive appear to the OS as another IDE device. In fact I've not had to do this more than three times - all builds I've done for the last 6-9 months installed straight onto SATA no problems. I use Gigabyte boards at work. What board are you using, Greenbeast?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Asus boards are my favourite, they had super attention to detail in everything way before the others. Even a graphics card manual from Asus was brimming with information and printed to a high quality, unlike the cheap photocopied looking and sparse manuals that came with a lot of PC components years ago. Sadly my current workplace can't/won't get Asus. Flirted with Gigabyte for ages but our current supplier can't get all the Gigabyte range, which is a total pain when you need to build something special. Another, more local supplier now can get us the whole MSI range, and we're using them, for servers at least. They do a fab dual Xeon board with more toys than you can shake a mouse at, but I still miss Asus. Had a great relationship with their main UK distributor years ago at another company, first-rate support and information, they'd bust their guts to get me any Asus product I wanted. I remember when the A7-N8 Deluxe was sweeping the nation, every allocation was pre-sold. My account manager asked me how many I needed, I only needed the one, and he nabbed one for me [:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ahhh mate, as your using an Asus board, the exact same one I was using, you may need to turn off SATA Raid to get it seen as an extra IDE channel. I found this when I was messing about. But I was trying to install a SATA as a primary drive alongside an IDE so was having differing problems to you.

Theres a very recent thread in this forum on it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i've always used asus board and they've never let me down and you're right they have great features and attention to detail.

well i've gone down the route of adding an ide drive to get me going and try it that way.

its actually a legitimate copy of windows with SP2 included (its the first time i've installed XP from a real windows disk)

the pc is now working with xp on an ide drive and the second drive (SATA) is showing up. i;ve just gotta take the next step of installing windows to it and booting to it.

will it be easier from the position i'm in with windows already on this other drive?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
yeah i've always used asus board and they've never let me down and you're right they have great features and attention to detail.

well i've gone down the route of adding an ide drive to get me going and try it that way.

its actually a legitimate copy of windows with SP2 included (its the first time i've installed XP from a real windows disk)

the pc is now working with xp on an ide drive and the second drive (SATA) is showing up. i;ve just gotta take the next step of installing windows to it and booting to it.

will it be easier from the position i'm in with windows already on this other drive?
Not really no. You still have to use the disc to boot from BIOS and then you will still have the problem of it not recognising the drive. The reason you can see the drive now is because Windows XP is clever like that.

Take it you haven't got a floppy drive then. Great that they are phasing them out isnt it and now you need it to install windows again with the new hardware thats coming out!

I'd whip a floppy out of another PC. It's the only way at the moment, you can't use USB obviously.

You will notice the difference in speed though with the SATA...or should I say....you should notice the difference in speed!

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
yep - u will need the driver for the sata controller from manufacturer, copy to floppy and boot the xp cd - pressing F6 when asked "do u want to install 3rd party drivers" when setup 1st appears

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh right ok then. yeah i'll take the floppy out of my pc and use that.

unfortunately the pc isn't for me so i won't get to experience the spped increase.

ok well i'll sort that out 2moro afternoon.

thanks guys

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
but xp installation will only allow 3rd party drivers to be loaded from floppy! usb drivers arent officially recogonised in the installation phase

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yer you can only do it from a floppy. XP is quite old now when you think about it, so they are phasing floppy drives out a bit to soon, but thi sis probably one of the only times you will use one!

Windows Longhorn will have all the new technology built in, and then when theat get's older we will be in the same position!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
but xp installation will only allow 3rd party drivers to be loaded from floppy! usb drivers arent officially recogonised in the installation phase
I think what Kieran means is that the board will take care of accessing the USB flash media with its own BIOS and presents it to the OS as a floppy drive. Modern motherboards can be clever like that, just like they can make a SATA drive "appear" as a standard IDE drive to the OS. So it's all transparent to the OS.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yup - this is exactly what I meant - I've never tried this with a desktop p.c. but I've been building lots of HP Blade systems recently and the blasted SmartStart CD's DON'T have the drivers for the mezzanine cards for the boot off SAN option when building BL25 and BL35 models... so you use the front ILO connector and drop a USB floppy drive on there and hit F6 when prompted.

It works but it adds AGES to a build when you're all set up for RDP :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts