Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There all

Just wondered if anyone else gets this??? My car gets so baldy steamed up at any time of the day and in the mornings its worse especially if it is a frosty morning coz the condensation gets icey. Its all the windows too.

Is it normal or just my car??

Any help wud be great.

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
My guess would be you have a leak somewhere.

Check your carpet (front and rear) and make sure it's dry.

My car did this when I left my window open overnight in heavy rain [:$] It steamed up inside for a few days until it had fully dried out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You might have a damp pollen filter too. Had that a few weeks ago and
all the windows on the inside would be wet in the morning. Chnaged the
filter and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi There all.

Thanks for your help.

Where would I find the pollen filter? and how much does it cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
pollen filter i would say aswell.it's just below the pasenger wiper blade there are 4 screws that hold the cover on

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
VW's are really bad for steaming up in my experience - my MkIV, my
dad's Passat, my friend's Passat, a friend's 9n1 Polo, an old Polo -
almost every VW I've been in seems to steam up more than other makes!

Pollen filter's only about ?10 from anywhere!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi There all

Just wondered if anyone else gets this??? My car gets so baldy steamed up at any time of the day and in the mornings its worse especially if it is a frosty morning coz the condensation gets icey. Its all the windows too.

Is it normal or just my car??

Any help wud be great.

Thanks

Jay
Certainley not normal, clean the interior glass all round with glass cleaner, but it sounds like the heater matrix may be shot

·
Registered
811 Posts
mine does this too, i thought it was down to good cabin pressure lol, ive had a new pollen filter laying around for a while now just not got round to fitting it in the cold [:(] i wonder if it is damp??

i very much doubt it is the heater matrix as mine gives out good heat, ive also checked all the carpets, all are dry.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Getting the same also - but the rents Passat next to it is fine! soo annoying when ya dont have A/c to get rid quickly! - likewise if ya find out what it is please post.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Me too, more this year than last. Cleaned windows, checked filter, put climate on, only way i can get rid is opening the windows. Another one of VW's great cockup's by the sound of it. And no  leak's either.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
put climate on, only way i can get rid is opening the windows. .
That was me until I changed the pollen filter, now it's much better (but not as good as any of my friend's non-VAG cars!!
I wonder if any of you have the internal rear vent obscurred???
Eh????? [:^)]
The rear vent is located right at the back of the car, just under the rear window (on the inside) although I don't know where it exits the car - any ideas Avanti?

·
Registered
233 Posts
put climate on, only way i can get rid is opening the windows. .
That was me until I changed the pollen filter, now it's much better (but not as good as any of my friend's non-VAG cars!!
I wonder if any of you have the internal rear vent obscurred???
Eh????? [:^)]
Gents until earlier this year I had a MK4 , occasionally the windows would steam up slightly unless the compressor was on, this uses more fuel and Ilm a tight wad!

I realised that when this occured , I got some glass cleaner (nothing fancy Asda 97p) and cleaned the interior glass, PRESTO the windows stayed clear, also if there are leaves or moisture in the air intake , then glass may steam up, I now have a MK5 at the top there are 6 rectangular slots the front 4 have air bag written on the escution, the rear 2 are hollow, the handbook indicates these are the cabin exhaust vents, IIRC the MK4 vents are in the boot, I will have to check in the RB manual. All in all the car is not designed to steam up, the above elements along with a heater circuit fluid leak will cause the symptoms, I am only trying to help,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts