Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out from the dealers today (Alan Day - Southgate) that VW have now decided to replace the window regulators on cars outside of their warranty period. I had just purchased a new repair kit but took it straight back and got a refund. Booked in for them to be replaced free of charge on Friday.

Bout time they sorted it out!

This might be old news but thought I would mention it incase others are spending their hard earned cash unnecessarily.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Does that apple to every car? Coz I just brought a set for £30 for my 98 (r) plate and could really do with that money at the mo.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
If thats the case im gonna pop down next week sometime as mines on its way out as it struggles to fully close...

Sat

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
heard about this the other week! upto 6 years old i think! mines 6.5 and i know the passenger one hasnt gone yet!! [:'(] always cringe when using it!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
can sum 1 find out the ages resriction! may 2000 first registered! rear passenger side made a big crack noise when undun a couple months ago! window and door hasnt been used since!

its anoying when putting windows up or down! u sit and pray! and when its shut a big sigh or relief!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
My car is April 2000, imagine how thrilled I was to learn of this news in June!

I expect 6 years ago is about the time they starting using the upgraded metal window regulators, rather than the plastic ones, so the "6 years free" thing makes them look good with relatively little cost

Or I could just be cynical!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi does anyone know if vw will change the regulators free of charge even if they haven't broken yet? My car is nearly 4 years old and the regulators have never been changed, just thought it would be a good idea to change them before they break if it's free.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
undo the window half way! then lean on it a bit! might put sum strain on the clip! and yeah keep using then like mad! obviously at decent times so u can get it down to vw!   when my passenger door went its was a friday evening about half 5 coming home from work! wasnt too please to say the least

·
Registered
730 Posts
what about cars over 6 yrs old who the owners have already paid top dollar to a vw dealer to fix the regulators?

will we get our money back?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Mine haven't broken yet but the two fronts (first driver side now also passenger) have a mind of their own with the one-touch function, driving me nuts, sometimes I'll close the window and it'll open halfway again, or just stop responding [:mad:] VW have had it in bits and can't replicate the symptom, typical!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
what about cars over 6 yrs old who the owners have already paid top dollar to a vw dealer to fix the regulators?

will we get our money back?
What do you think, realistically? A big company, not famed for customer service, who already has your money?!

BUT, it's worth a try! Even call VW uk?!

Shiuming - Could it be the convenience module that's causing your problems?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
What is the convenience module and where would I find it? I've replaced the switch module on the door as that was worn out anyway, but from what I gather from the (inexperienced) VW tech I spoke to, the electronics for sensing and controlling the windows are built into each motor, and he said he didn't want to recommend replacing that in case it wasn't the problem. It's seriously uncool for a German car and doing my head in.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm not overly sure about this, but I think it controls all of the 'convenience' systems in the car - the windows, alarm monitoring, central locking etc. A vag-com scan should show if it has a fault. I think it's located somewhere near the car's pedals, though I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Your handle to move the seat forward, is it smooth and in line with the seat plastic, or is it molded into the shape of a handle, sticking out a bit? If it's the latter, i think you have the metal clips. (wierd thinking/reasoning on my part!)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
@ Shiu, to gain acess to your conveniance module, take off fuse box cover (inside drivers door..) then take off the piece of trim surrounding the fuse box...this just pulls out of clips, if you look inside the hole now created you will see a module box, about 5" x 2" , mine had 2 plugs going to it and is held in place with 2 philips screws going through a bracket.If you were looking to remove the module id imagine you`d have to take a few of the pedal trims off. Id suggest trying one on from a fellow mkiv`r (if they let you [8-|]) , make sure the part numbers match!

[edit} not sure if these modules are coded for each vehicle btw

1 - 20 of 33 Posts