Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, my front passenger window dropped :(. After reading on here I didn't panic as knew what the problem was and drove straight to Wayside VW in Milton Keynes. Obviously the service guys are off at the weekend and the guy I spoke to said that the Window regs could not be replaced free of charge unless under 3-year warranty. Mine's a '51 plate. Have VW changed their policy? Does anyone have a link to the thread I'm looking for?

·
Registered
911 Posts
My Window would go down, but not back up again. I phoned VW in WestonSuperMare who said they would look at it. I also emailed VW customer care who said that they think they could do something for me. Had VW replace my clips today to metal ones, they even offered to charge 1/2 labour to keep my business as I said I may do it myself, they also rang customer care who said it was covered!!! yay! Window now works and for free!

Maybe the same for the regulator?

I have a 01 Y on 69K miles, full VW history except one which was SEAT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just wanted to confirm what Bike_Boy said, as I am getting mine repaired for free on Tuesday.

I also wanted to agree with PowerHorse, as my dealer originally quoted for the work (can post the quoted ammount later). I am glad I waited. I was looking around for quotes and experiences and found that VW should repair mine for free. SO, after a short call to my dealers yesterday and a small threat of moving my service to somewhere else they said they would do as I asked and 'run it up the chain' to see what the official statement was.

Low and behold, I got a call this morning and was told that the work would be done under 'good will'. Not sure what he meant, but he probably did not want it to become official news that others could get the work done for free.

Jay

·
Registered
911 Posts
Check this!

Just had a call from my VW dealer that fixed my passenger side window, they said there is a chance the other one may break, so if you bring it on Saturday, we'll fix that one for free too!

I think that is pretty bloomin' good!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I went to my local VW dealer with a window reg problem today and I pushed for " goodwill fix" and Hey presto, quick phone call to VW CC and theyre paying the lot.

Just be persistent!

GTi TDi Anniversary 1396

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just been into my local dealer (Advantage Stirling) as my window cilips had broken.

They told me from June thru December anyone with a MK4 will have both sides fixed free of charge. Thats regulators and those shitty plastic clips!

You just cant beat gettin somthin for nothin!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow! I'll bear that in mind if my regulators go and the local dealers don't play ball. If Advantage do it for nothing that would be great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i saw further back on this that you had to have less than 90 thousand miles is that right? i have 130 on my y reg i have had to change my front passenger and my driver one isnt sounding great or my back driver one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if there's a limit on the mileage?

Mines has covered 87k.

Picking it up tomorrow from the dealer, so will ask when I'm in......

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is a mileage limit, its 93000 apparently (and under 6 years old)... I got a call from the dealer today, as they are going to refund the kit I bought for mine to do the repair myself (which was before I knew it was available for free! )

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys,

Just reading the thread and was wondering whether i should try get my regulator clips done for free (If i can). Although i don't seem to have any problems with them at the minute !! and its a five door ( thought they only really brok eon the heavier 3 door windows ??).

Do you think i would have any chance just ringing and saying can i get my clips to the metal one's for free ,,, ? or do you think they'll tell me where to get off as there is no problem at the minute ?

My tdi isn't 6 years old till jan and has 70k on the clock so im still in those limits !

Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
necromax

I to recently bought a repair kit and sorted out the window myself, (about 3 months ago) How long ago do you think they will entertain a refund for this?

·
Registered
841 Posts
GOLFTDITDI

I was in my dealership last week and they told me that when you car is in for a service they will look at the window clips and sort them for you. Admittedly they were only on about the fronts (apparently there is very little wrong with the back windows).

I'd go to your local dealer and haggle to get them replaced before its too late. I've had both front doors done in the last two months.

Make sure they do the work properly though! I had my passenger door done last Friday and its going back this Saturday because the regulator cables are out of sync thus raising the glass at an angle!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
RaT - no idea, its just over 3 weeks since I did mine. If you don't ask you don't get... might be worth a two minute phone call...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts