Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not been around here for a while having defected to Skoda. Anyways ...

My Mum's Golf had the dreaded window regulator of doom fail yesterday. Nasty grating noise when she went to put the drivers window up and it dropped never to be seen again. It's a 2000X 5 door 1.6SE and is rather underused with under 30k miles on it.

I recall VW USA giving an extended warranty on the regulators, what are the chances of getting a gratis repair or a significant contribution from VW? The local dealer didn't supply the car but have serviced it for the last two years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car was registered in Sept 2000, it's one of the first with the 1.6 16v.

It went into the local dealer this morning. Original quote was for ?220. Queried with them at this point that it was a known problem to which they were surprised and could they do anything about this - said they'd speak to VW UK. VW UK wouldn't comment on it being a known issue and refused to contribute as the car is "too old". It was stated that a goodwill gesture would only be considered on cars under 5 years old. Dealer knocked some money off, final bill was ?190.

I'm disappointed by VW UK's stance on this The family have been loyal customers for years. I ran a Bora for 5 years and only recently defected to Skoda, Dad collected a new Golf Plus only last week and Mum's been very happy with her MkIV so far. Apart from regular servicing it's only needed a coolant sensor changing.

I can't fault the dealer - they've been courteous and efficient, booked the car in at no notice and have done everything we've asked. They didn't sell us this car, but we have used them for the last couple of services.

Is there anything from VW UK set in stone relating to the 6 years?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Go back to them and tell them that its for a car under 6 years old!! By my reckoning you still have 2 months before yours is 6 years old!

VW Capitol in Merthyr Tydfil double checked on Monday this week and were advised it was for cars under 6 years old! VW used to contribute 50% but have recently upped it to 100%.

I'd go back and argue and get your money back!

However, if I'm wrong please don't tell my garage!! and you're all welcome to visit them and get it sorted!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. We'll have another go at VW Customer Services tomorrow and follow it up with a "reasoned" letter.

I can't see VW being able to refuse on the basis of a couple of non-dealer services after 3 years as the window regulator isn't a serviceable part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the same problem with my Golf over here in the UK. Paid ?120 in repairs, ?75 of which was for the window regulator itself. I'm not exactly a mechanic and the garage I took it to was a local/independant garage. Does ?120 sound about right for this type of repair, or am I being ripped off?

·
Registered
841 Posts
before i found out about the free for cars 6 years and under i was quoted ?100 by my local VW dealer so I'd say ?120 sounds a bit pricey............[:(]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do the regulators have to be broken for VW to fix them? My anni is 3.5 years old and i would rather get them fixed before they break so to speak

·
Registered
841 Posts
might well depend on how friendly you are with your local service manager. i know from another post on here that someone is getting their windows done even though they haven't failed.............

basically the parts have to be broken whether they fail on there own or with a little help from you or by your friendly VW dealer [;)] they send the parts to VW europe to claim the cost back.

I've got 15 months and 3 windows to get 'fixed' [;)]

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
What year did they change them to the metal ones? mines a w 2000 so I guess mines got the plastic ones???

·
Registered
730 Posts
Believe it or not i have a 1999 golf that is around the 30k mileage mark ( i commute by motorbike)and my window dropped , and i'm sorry to tell you that you'll get nothing from VW towards the cost of repair, I paid ?130 for passenger side to be repaired, so ?120 sounds good to me. 

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it a definate VW warranty fix if you car is under 6 years old and the regulator goes??? Has anyone had this done out of std warranty?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
when was your car registered??

if its under 6 years old VW will pay THE FULL COST [:D]
And 90,000 miles.. I got mine done with 100% v.w funding and this was 5 days before i was out of my 6 years.

Jay

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I need to do this right away! My passenger side window has dropped right into the door. It happened tonight at 4am on the way to a house party in Hackney, of all places! I had to leave my car unattended and completely open having found a tall wall to hide it behind. jeez, what a pain in the butt!
I've now just come back and left the car outside my house, but someone's bound to notice there's no glass in the door. What can I do to secure it while I order a regulator repair kit? If I get the door card off will it be possible to prop the glass back up temporarily? It may take days to fix this after the weekend. What's a short term solution?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
It won't win any prizes in the aesthetics department,but tape around the top of the door frame and stuck to the glass inside and out,carpet or gaffer would be lot stronger and more suitable than masking tape.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Thanks for that.?it's a consolation at least that it'll be secure from the elements, if nothing else. So typical that this happens in the middle of the night at the start of a bank holiday weekend, miles from anywhere!
I managed to take it to VW Citygate this morning who, to their credit, carried out the above procedure at no cost as it was an emergency. (however they used masking tape so I've now got to go and buy some gaffer tape before the shops shut and do it properly).
But as for their diagnosis they've left me feeling a bit confused. They claim I need an entire regulator as the whole mechanism is broken.
W1J4 837 461 J? ?0901A1 LIFTERW3B0 051 750? ? ?0602H1 SPEAKER RIV
At a cost of ?81.36 with about ?250 - ?300 in labour!
I told them that it's surely just the clips that need replacing and perhaps the 'regulator repair kit' would suffice, but they maintained that it was the whole regulator. Is this really likely? Don't want to get burnt, and ?350 just to fix a stupid design fault???

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Do you have the car?

If so take the door card and have a look youself, i wouldnt go on what they say they just want your money, it'll take 10 minutes to check it out.

From the pics ive seen its easy enough to see if the regulator is broken and if its plastic i certain it will just need changing to a metal one.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
yeah, that's what i was originally gonna do. But having looked at guides I realised it was actually a fair few hours work and tools I don't have, like an 8mm tripple square tool, whatever that is. The fact it's a bank holiday means I can't do anything for a few days now. Anyway, I just got a load of duct tape so I'm going to get sticky instead.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Also, I had a bit of a dispute with the Service Centre rep who told me I was just outside the extended warranty on the window regulator replacement because my car is 2000/2001 and they only cover it up to 5 years. I insisted that he look again because as far as I know it's 7 years. One of the other guys went away and came back 10mins later and said perhaps it was 6 years but I was still not covered. It seemed a bit vague though becuase they said I should call back on tuesday when they can get proper clarification from VW. Seems to me they're trying to keep a lid on this and with enough pressure they'll do the work for free, as they should.
Then I found this in the US:
http://www.sshwlaw.com/results.php?cid=0233
Damn! We should do something like this in the UK. That'll light a fire up VW's arse! Anyone here had any experience talking to VW about this or have any other ammo?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts