Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Having trouble with my driver's side front window. Gets about 50mm from the top then winds back down again. Eventually goes up but feels like it's gonna get stuck in the same place every time. Curiously, it doesn't seem to do it when it rains though, something to be thankfull for I suppose. [:)]

Does anyone else have/had this trouble? How did you fix it?

Cheers

·
Registered
875 Posts
Could be dry runners, i.e. when it rains they are wet. Or it could be that you window regulator is about to fail, use the search facilty on this forum and you will find a number of topics on the subject.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yer I have got this problem too, I only really noticed after when I brought my car back from a service I tried to put the window up and I heard a really loud crack noise...

Since then I have noticed that when ever i have tried to put the window up it get's roughly about 2/3 inches from the top and then goes back down. However when I try it again it works fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The cracking noice is almost certainly one of the two plastic clips breaking. I'd get yourself a metal repair kit pronto as when (not if) the other one breaks the window will fall into the bottom of the door. Leaving you with an unsecure car and a mess if it happens to be raining.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you get the metal clips from Mark? My window hasn't made a cracking noise yet but when it finally gets to the top, it creaks a bit for a couple of seconds as though it were settling into position. Cheers

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Might as well do both windows at the same time because they all seem to go eventually. Had my passenger one go last Dec 23 at night when it was pouring with rain and I went out to do some last minute shopping. I was as cheerful as the weather that night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WINDOW PROBLEM

DEPENDS WHAT YEAR YOUR GOLF IS AS TO THE PROBLEM BUT THE FASTEST REMIDY IS AN UPGRADE KIT FROM VAG THEY HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS PROBLEM FOR YEARS THE KIT COSTS ABOUT ?30 I THINK REPLACED MINE 2 YRS AGO NO PROBS SINCE IT STARTED DOING WHAT YOURS DOES THEN DROPS INSIDE THE DOOR NICE! ITS A BIT OF A JOB DONT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU LIKE SCREAMING AT YOUR MISSIS

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The job can be fiddly but is not difficult. I did the passenger one the same night (I'd bought a kit previously in anticipation of it failing) and it took me a couple of hours in far from ideal conditions. Get the dealer to do it if you don't like DIY and have difficulty figuring how things work. It helps a lot if you're not annoyed [V] to begin with because the stupid window has failed at the most inconvenient time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My mate had this on the passenger side door - it got to a certain point (slowly) then the rollback feature rolled the window all the way back down....turned out it was part of the motor that was knackered and he got it replaced under warranty... not so good if it's out of warranty, not sure how much a new motor costs?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds like a window clip problem to me. Mine did the roll back thing, then whilst driving at 40mph the window just dropped half way. Car is currently in bits as I took the door to bits, found one clip broken, but VW supplied me with the wrong side repair kit :(

D'oh shoulda checked before ripping to bits

Gonna be friday before i can fix, so driving my parents old merc about.

Not a happy chappy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know if VW actually ever sorted this problem. ie Does the same problem exist on newer (eg 52 onwards) cars ??

Also - if the clip does break, can the AA come out and just prop the window open until you get it fixed ?

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Finally fitted the new clips. Hats off to the guy who wrote the guide on vwvortex...simply amazing.

I have two mods on my golf now. 18" RS4's and aluminium window clips!!! I don't wanna rush things now, so it may be a while before i start the next mod!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts