Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of putting in a jl audio 12w6v2 sub and a 500/1 amp.

Will my battery be ok seeing as there is a lot of power coming out of it.

Will i need a new battery or a seperate one for the audio.

I think my battery is very tempermental.

Please give me some advice

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
you can go for a seperate battery.. but get your original battery tested first to see if its workin 100% anyway.. also could go for a 2 farad power cap..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I run a 300/4 and 1000/1 off my r32 battery fine (mind you i don't play with the engine off much) if yours is a bit old maybe a new one is in order or upgrade to an optima/stinger or similar deep cycle one

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys what would be the best option for me.

What would i gain from having a power cap?

Is there much to fitting a power cap?

Is there much to fitting another battery

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Car
Audio Capacitor Installation

There is often a lot of confusion on how to wire a car audio capacitor
(a.k.a. power capacitor or stiffening capacitor). There are two terminals
on a car audio capacitor. A positive and a negative. The negative terminal
is connected to ground. The positive terminal is connected "in-line"
with the car audio amplifier +12 volts terminal. See the diagram below.

Car Audio Capacitor Installation

Ideally the power capacitor should be as close as possible
to the amplifier. Within a couple of feet is acceptable.

Here's how to wire two capacitors in a system.

Car Audio Capacitor Installation Two Capacitors

Hope that helps

and btw the power cap holds extra charge for when your giving your system top whack and the juice is there ready for the amp..

Sat [y]

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
When your engine is running,ALL the power for everything in your car comes from the alternator,the batterie(s) do absolutely nothing,in fact adding a second battery in the boot could make things worse at is now another load that needs to be kept charged.It is your alternator that might not be up to the job,but if you start drawing so much current from it (typically 90 amps max on Golfs) that it's output voltage starts to drop,then your already maxed out battery won't be getting any charge as it will start having to power everything in the car.This is under extreme conditions though,but the power caps will only help providing the alternator is still producing enough voltage to keep them charged up,rememeber you will only get the voltage out that you put in,and you need to keep the voltage as high as possible,because if you don't,the amps will try to draw more current to compensate.In wattage terms,your alternator can provide about 1300 watts,some of that has to go to run the car.

Chris.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I get away with no capacitor or extra battery but I do have a zero gauge supply to the mono and four gauge to the other
What amp rating fuse are you using just out of interest.. as the wiring sonny needed for his audiobahn earthquake setup was a 0awg wiring kit with 300amp fuse.. it was mad i tell ya.. also he used a 5 farad power cap.. and that was stupidly loud.. lol hes now thinking of installing it in his jag [:|]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Its what he needed as with his amp audiobahn monoblock it was like the more juice is available the more power the amp will produce or something along those lines.. is was a mental amp cost him about £700 and its just sitting there.. he offered to stick it in my car but i cant justify having no boot space lol..

Sat [y]

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Dale R32,that link is to your empty shopping basket,not to a product.You need at the very least 4 AWG cable for your proposed system,and an ANL type of fuseholder,the AGU style just won't handle constant current nearly as well.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
That kit looks just fine to me,but 3 farad is a bit over the top,the normal rule of thumb is to use about 1 farad/1000 watts,and that sounds way too cheap for a 3 farad,expect to pay that for a good 1 farad.

Chris.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imagewerx can you recommend a make of cap to buy?

Will i be ok fitting this myself?

I will be building a custom box for it all too.

How do you connect it all to the battery, you are probably laughing after hearing that but im a total novice on audio.

Dale

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I bought my 1.5 farad cap for £35 from Ebay [y] i know its a rubbish make and poor made but i dont have a mega install yet!

Btw....insure your sound system too [:p]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[:D] will do trollgeddon

this is what i wanted to spend the money on [:(]

I will be installing very very soon though.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Thanks Sat,you'd think I'd want to have a rest from it after work wouldn't you? No peace for the wicked I guess.

This is how I do it on mine,that Macaudio power cable has been in nearly ten different cars now,and the fuseholder was free with a Kicker amp that didn't get used (don't tell the boss!),need to replace it ASAP with a better one,works ok for now though.I drilled a 6mm clearance hole through the corner of the busbar that connects the +ve battery terminal to the fusebox,and bolted the connector on the end of the 4 AWG cable to it with a 6mm bolt,I guess you could be cheeky and use one of the spare positions in the fusebox,but you'd struggle to get that size cable in there.

(I guess next you'll be asking how to get the power cable into the car?)

Chris.

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 27 Posts