Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iam thinking about putting some eibach -30mm pro kit springs om my tdi will there be a noticable drop on 18's from standard or does any 1 have any pics of the 30mm drop. cheers

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Personally i'm never very impressed with a 30mm drop. Just doesn't look much different. If you can stretch to a set of uprated springs then you can look at going 45mmish. Will look much better and still keep some of the comfort.

Also the fk coilovers are quite resonable nowadays

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Stevo - Have you just dropped 30mm on springs only?

I would like to lower, but cant afford a full suspension or coilover kit, but springs alone are quite cheap - are they good enough though, or does it cause probs with standard shocks?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by Benn130TDI on 14/04/2005 08:39:18

I would like to lower, but cant afford a full suspension or coilover kit, but springs alone are quite cheap - are they good enough though, or does it cause probs with standard shocks?

To save the companies having to make hundreds of different shocks they design then to take a variety of different heights. You can safely go 30mm without changing the shocks any lower will require an upgrade. Any lower will require and upgrade

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yep, just the springs only.

I was in a similar position to you- I got 18's and it looked rediculous on standard suspension so I needed to lower it sharpish. Unfortunately I didn't have the wedge for a full kit at the time (having just bought wheels!) so I just went for springs.

My car was only about a year and a half old at the time (as I see yours is) so the shocks coped fine. The ride wasn't particularly bouncy (no more than standard) and the handling was massively improved.

Two years and 25k down the line however and my shocks are starting to go. But I don't regret doing just the springs as there is no way I could have afforded a full kit at the time.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Quote: posted by zekegti on 14/04/2005 08:57:49

Quote: posted by Benn130TDI on 14/04/2005 08:39:18

To save the companies having to make hundreds of different shocks they design then to take a variety of different heights. You can safely go 30mm without changing the shocks any lower will require an upgrade. Any lower will require and upgrade

So -30mm would be fine with standard shocks, but -35mm would need uprated jobbies then?

Most spring kits seem to be -35mm though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
So -30mm would be fine with standard shocks, but -35mm would need uprated jobbies then?

Most spring kits seem to be -35mm though.

I had eibach -35mm springs on my old 1.8t. Drop was good, subtle but obvious too without looking slammed. Ran on standard monty II's. Handling improved too but the shocks on that car were in mint condition.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi as you can see with mine they do lower it abit but i also have the prodampers on and those with the balanced eibach springs it the best setup iv had for my mk4 so far and its lowerd 30mm at that and as 18" wheels

daz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.