Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then guys.

As some of you are aware I was looking out for a Anni TDI, however after a lot of consideration I have decided against it and gone for something totally non VAG, it?s a shame because I have had VWs all my life and will miss them, but times change and I want a car that will put a smile on my face.

I have decided to buy a Mini Cooper S, in black. Not a brand new one mind, but with a budget of 12-13k with all the options I can get ! not really all that concerned with mileage, I have seen a few around but all too much, but will keep trying ? black seems to be quite rare. I am sure I will revisit the VAG brand in the future, but I want something that will put a smile on my face every time I get in it and the golf just is not doing that for me. The 167bhp supercharged cooper s will cost the same in petrol than my 2.0 GTI. I just don?t need the extra space in the golf.

Don?t get me wrong I still love my car, but it is time to move on and the time is right.

I need some help with pricing!

Here is the spec:

Black (solid black)

Vreg 1999 Golf GTI 2.0

5dr

AC

Single CD player & 6 CD Changer

Red sports interior

Montreal II (A1 condition) wheels 16? with P6000 tyres with loads of life

Rear polo MK5 wiper

Front Aero Wipers

H&R -35 mm springs

V6 4motion Front Valance

FVWSH till last year, FSH for the past year

123,000 miles (high, but sound engine)

Cam belt changed on 99,000 miles

New OEM exhaust 3 months ago

New wishbones, and seals

New Radiator and water pump

TAX till 03/05

MOT?d 2 weeks ago.

Will be serviced before it is sold.

I have washed this car every week without fail, waxed every 2 week at least. Drives wonderfully, fantastic condition.

I am thinking around 5999 mark? Could be less, I am not sure. I need to get as much as I can for it.

EDIT: 5000 mark just to make Mikedav happy [;)]

Here are some pictures that I am sure you have seen before!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let me know if I am pricing it right! Or indeed anyone is interested in it. It?s a wonderful car and has been well loved, - people that have seen it will vouch for it.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 25/10/2004 13:19:51

I am thinking around 5999 mark? Could be less, I am not sure. I need to get as much as I can for it.

You won't like this...Glasses guide online @ 126,000 miles prices. Your car is mint of course so you can ask towards the top end

Retail value Garage/retailer's selling price ?4,895

Trade-in values

Mint ?3,750 Fair ?3,250 Poor ?2,750

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I did pluck that figure from the top of my head... so it was bound to be too high. But the latter figures are too low and I will not be trading it in.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will try my luck, with all the options it has on it and the condition I think 5000ish should be achievable, I would buy it!:

Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

2.0 GTi 5d 1999/V

Average mileage: 50,000 miles (yes I am aware it says 50,000)

Cost New ('99)

? 16575

Dealer Retail

? 6785

Private Good

? 6265

Private Poor

? 4930

Part Exchange

? 5510

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Good luck with the sale. Anyone who comes to see it will it has been very well cared for, it will just be a case of getting them there in the first place due to the mileage.

Good choice of replacement IMO too.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Agree with O2, I would say ?4,995 is a fair sticker price and will get people interested. Try higher if you like, its just a lot of people would be put off by the fact its not only exceeded the psychological 100,000 mile barrier, but done so by another 26,000 miles. As its mint once they are in front of the car its probably ok, but getting people round will be the problem.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

Really looking forward to the mini, but will be such a sad day when the golf goes! think I will cry! love that car.

Thanks for your support and guidence on the price, will keep you updated.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dave, I've not seen the autotrader links but bear in mind that those cars are for sale and won't necessarily sell for the asking price or anything near it (if at all!)

If my experience of trying to sell a Golf is anything to go by, your biggest problem will be in getting anyone to even come and look at it, nevermind actually haggle over the price. You'd do better to pitch it based on the book price and get people interested enough to come and look at it in the first place.

So you enjoyed your test drive then.......................

Chris

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats fine to have that opinion, but you may as well back it up when you say so! [:)]

I have had to put it on hold for a few months while I sort my work situation out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
just a thought, but have you considered a Lupo GTI as an alternative. It will be cheaper than the MCS, but a pretty good std spec incl. xenons.

I assume the Lupo is slightly lighter, it is uses the 1.6 125bhp n/a engine from the Polo Gti. Might be worth a test drive, just to rule out the option. I personally would love one.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I always tought they were ok, but pretty much got my heart set on the MCS. The other cars I would consider at the Leon R, A3, S3, Anni etc etc - but I really would like to try the MCS for size. If I dont like it in time I can always sell it on! -

Will be all black and those are fairly rare so if I needed to the resale would be ok.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mini cooper S good choice mate. Fantastic handling cars out of the box no having to mess about with it unless you want to unlike the MK4 whose suspension we all know is badly lacking in positives. Hope you find a nice one.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Ok the reasons:

1) it's tiny

2) poor interior

3) no boot (no matter how much someone doesn't need a boot this one is just mad)

4) will not feel anywhere near as solid as the Golf

5) every guy I've seen driving one looks like he's gay (seriously!)

6) It's a girls car

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I respect your first 4 comments, although I dout you have driven one, if you have then fair enough.

BUT wow, I am astounded by your gay stereotyping!!!!

I actually wish I was gay just to rub it in your face!

How do you tell that a person is gay anyway? Because he dresses well? - you really are very homophobic.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ricardo - thanks for your comments chap, I hope to find a decent one too!

Sem - will consider it, would need a test drive!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I dress very well myself Oxford - I'm not gay. I don't mean gay in the homosexual sense anyway, I know a few gay men and I doubt they'd want a Mini simply because of my reason for number 5!

Anyway it's your money and it's my opinion, no point losing sleep over it!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts