Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not going mad[:D]

I have one kerbed wheel that I want to get refurbed for the show season. I can't be without my car for too long (it took him 3 weeks to refurb my last set) but I don't have any spare wheels to put on.

PeteVR6 has very kindly said I can borrow his 16" Montreals now he has replaced them with RS4's but I'm not sure that they will fit on my car[:(]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Golfgirl on 02/03/2005 23:46:57

No, I'm not going mad[:D]

I have one kerbed wheel that I want to get refurbed for the show season. I can't be without my car for too long (it took him 3 weeks to refurb my last set) but I don't have any spare wheels to put on.

PeteVR6 has very kindly said I can borrow his 16" Montreals now he has replaced them with RS4's but I'm not sure that they will fit on my car[:(]

I think so yes.. the caliper on the R is not much bigger than the 4mo one, and they are standard with 16's... sorry cant be definitive cos I aint got an R!!![:eek:)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
If its a rear wheel then it probably will fit but if a front then I am not sure it will fit over the brake discs.

Anyhow, why refurb the whole alloy? and why do you need it removed from the car[?] There are several options where you can retain your OEM finish and simply have the damaged area matched to the existing alloy within 90 mins (depending on the damage).

Give me a call tomorrow (on the mobile) and I'll help you out.[;)]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by Doc on 03/03/2005 00:07:44

Anyhow, why refurb the whole alloy? and why do you need it removed from the car[?] There are several options where you can retain your OEM finish and simply have the damaged area matched to the existing alloy within 90 mins (depending on the damage).

I'm not getting the whole alloy refurbed, just the kerbed bit. And it has to be removed from the car because I doubt the place I use could do it there and then and would want the wheel for a few days (or weeks as it was last time).

It's the only place I know of in the area and he's cheap and did a good job of my old wheels. This one isn't as bad as the others though so won't take him as long to do, but he has a queue of wheels waiting for his healing hands[:(]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I know it's no the UK but I have a guy who is mobile and has done my car before. He comes along, takes the wheel off the car, does the work on your driveway and off he goes within an hour. There must be someone doing the same near you. 3 weeks for a simple kerb mark is crazy!

·
Registered
473 Posts
As far as I've heard, if its the front then no you can't put 16's on cause of the size of the brakes, you will have to put one from the back on the front and put the 16 on the rear.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by D17ONA on 03/03/2005 10:49:38

As far as I've heard, if its the front then no you can't put 16's on cause of the size of the brakes, you will have to put one from the back on the front and put the 16 on the rear.

ashamed of my lack of knowledge... [V]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
When I kerbed one of my BBs Ch's I had wicked wheels refurb it. The finish was spot on and it only took them an hour or so to get it done. Because of the finsih it was slightly dearer and they need to apply more coats of paint but it was still only ?65 all in. There mobile as well so will come out to your place of work or home.

J.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, I'll do a bit of research and see if I can find a mobile company then. Failing that i'll have to see if the other guy can do it when I have 2-3 dyas off work when I can manage without the car. At least I now know that they won't fit - I knew I could rely on you lot to put me straight[^]

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would chuck the 16" on the back, and move the rear 18" to the front if that's the case.

They definately fit, as I've put a 15" steelie on the rear of one before [:)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts