Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
silly question but i have a extra key small and round with a socket in the boot for it to fit in...

any ideas

im thinking immobilizer but i dont know

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had the car 3 weeks with the main ignition key there is a small round key

round on the end with a raised point in the middle

in the boot on the drivers side there is a socket that it fits in

ill try and get some pics

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have one on my car now, but many moons ago I had a Polo with a Cat2 aftermarket alarm with remote c/locking. I never used the funny little key (my socket was in the glove box) but I was told that it was to be used should the alarm ever screw up.

Apparantly Cat 1 alarms can't have this lock by-pass thingy as it's a security issue.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
This is correct:

I don't have one on my car now, but many moons ago I had a Polo with a Cat2 aftermarket alarm with remote c/locking. I never used the funny little key (my socket was in the glove box) but I was told that it was to be used should the alarm ever screw up.

Apparantly Cat 1 alarms can't have this lock by-pass thingy as it's a security issue.
Our '97 Golf bought new had a pair of these and Vortex (or maybe Votex) written on them. My '02 Golf does not have this but I guess its got a more recent alarm.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I think I have one of those too.. is it like a black plastic circle with a metal recess in the middle ?  and you get a corresponding plastic key with a raised metal dot ?  says votex on it ?  I'll try and find the post about it last year.. sure Paul (Jazz Blue GTi) knew what it was.. probably another way of turning off the alarm.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It was an extra item on some early model Golfs.

Basically the original alarm was not CAT1 compiant as it did not have interior ultrasonic sensors. VW (or VORTEX) corrected this by adding the little sensors on the A pilars. The little key thing is simply to disable the interior sensors. You use the little key and the alarm should 'cherp' to tell you the sensors are off. Then when you lock the car with the key the deadlocks and alarm arm but with out ultrasonic sensors. Therefore you can still lock and alam rhe car and leave the dog in the boot.

Newer models came with interior sensors built into the interior lights above the 'B' pilar. They should have a lttle switch at the bottom of the drivers side 'B' pilar to turn off the sensors.

When you unlock and relock the car next time the alarm returns to normal with all sensors activated.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Correct, it is for the aftermarket Votex alarm that was fitted by VW UK on all of the early GTI's.  It will turn off the interior sensors, or turn off the alarm when it goes haywire, which was a very common occurance.  My September 98' GTI had one, so I guess the chnage over was a little latter than that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks to everyone

i finally just pulgged it in and it chirped so mystery solved

dont know why i just didnt plug it in in the first place lol

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
those early models must hagve been bloody early cos mine is a late 98 model and i;ve got the b-pillar switch
Aye.. my handbook shows date of delivery to the previous owner (before me) as 1st August 1998 !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wondered if anyone knew how to reactivate the votex part of the alarm? Having issues with my alarm system.. couldnt open doors of my golf ('98 1.6) on the weekend with buttons on key and had to open with key in the door lock. Alarm immediatly went off and thought that the votex thing would sort it out (by putting votex fob into boot socket) and shut the alarm down but in the end only shut down teh wailing part not the horn (which i assume is teh standard but not votex cat 1 alarm). Cut a long story short, sorted out the key and can now get in and standard alarm is activated, but when tested teh wailing (i assume votex) alarm doesnt get activated. Tried to reactivate by placing votex key? fob thing in boot socket but no beeping (which occurred when deactivating it) and doesnt wail like it used to [:(] Bit concerned after reading about how this votex alarm is to make up for deficiency in standard alarm. Can anyone help as vw tell me i may need a new alarm which at ?400 approx is something i really cannot afford right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
those early models must hagve been bloody early cos mine is a late 98 model and i;ve got the b-pillar switch
Aye.. my handbook shows date of delivery to the previous owner (before me) as 1st August 1998 !
I had one of these on my 98 GTI 1.8T (S147 BFW), it was one of the first 1.8T in teh UK and the utrasonics were retro fitted by the dealer about a month after the car was delivered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts