Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHY IS MY CAR SAYING NEXT SERVICE IN 17700 MILES OR 360 DAYS WHEN IT IS ONLY 12 DAYS OLD AND ONLY DONE 535 MILES.

I WAS TOLD BY THE DEALER IT WAS SET UP FOR TIME & DISTANCE, BUT WHEN IT WENT IN FOR A SMALL REPAIR ANOTHER DEALER SAID IT WAS LONGLIFE.

ANY THOUGHTS TO WHICH ONE IT IS SET UP ON..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.6 fsi sport, 3dr, diamond black.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Looks very much like it is set up for Long Life.  It would be crazy to set to time and distance initally as you have the long life oil in.  If you want to go to time and distance wait until your first oil change service.  TBH you are doing above average miles so sticking to LongLife would be best.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Looks very much like it is set up for Long Life.
Don't think so. It would be 730 days total (2 years) if it was set to long-life.

I would have a sniff around here (check the sticky thread at the top), decide which service regime suits you best and go into the dealer to get them to sort it correctly.

It may be, like for many other people, me included, that it has not been set correctly or needs the software bug sorted.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Assumin it is set to long life, dont chnage to time and distance until the first service is due, it would be a waste of money. You have already paid for the Long Life oil as part of the car, it would be a waste to change the oil prematurely.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Ahh the plot thickens. I think I am still right with my maths above though.
I think it may well be set for Longlife servicing as if it was time/distance it would not show a mileage figure above 10 or 12 thousand. This car is doing above average miles and if it keeps at this rate will have completed 18,000 miles in 400 days anyway.

I suspect the read out will adjust itself over the first few months though - just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I don't think the computer would work out on the basis that 50 miles/day = 400 days or whatever.

Long-life servicing is on the basis of a number of miles (dependent on oil quality) or 2 years, whichever comes sooner.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I don't think the computer would work out on the basis that 50 miles/day = 400 days or whatever.

Long-life servicing is on the basis of a number of miles (dependent on oil quality) or 2 years, whichever comes sooner.
Hmm - Ken its not quite so simple but it usually comes to about 18,000 miles. The computer knows the mileage the car has done so far, how old it is and can (assuming that the oil quality will remain good), work out that it will be about 400 days befor the next service, aiming for 18k. If the oil quality reduces as time goes by it will steadily reduce the the days to service as required, as it will if the mileage increases to more than 45 per day (or extend the period if the mileage rate reduces).

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Hmm - Ken its not quite so simple but it usually comes to about 18,000 miles. The computer knows the mileage the car has done so far, how old it is and can (assuming that the oil quality will remain good), work out that it will be about 400 days befor the next service, aiming for 18k. If the oil quality reduces as time goes by it will steadily reduce the the days to service as required, as it will if the mileage increases to more than 45 per day (or extend the period if the mileage rate reduces).
Sorry Mark, I disagree [:p]

There is no point in asdjusting the days to service. Mine has always just counted down the days. It is still saying total time = 730 days even though I have done 15.5k miles and the service is due in 3k. If you are correct it would be saying that service could be expected in ~90 days, not the 200-odd it is saying.

Perhaps 20valve would like to comment?

Cheers,

Ken.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You have lost me now Ken, 200 days, do you mean your car or the thread starters car (which we are all talking about and is showing 360 days to go, ie; near the 400 days that his current daily mileage would take him to get to 18,000 miles)?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You have lost me now Ken, 200 days, do you mean your car or the thread starters car (which we are all talking about and is showing 360 days to go, ie; near the 400 days that his current daily mileage would take him to get to 18,000 miles)?
I'm confused too [:$]

I was referring to my car which is now 16 months old and has covered 15.5k miles.

If the days were converging on a point in relation to the miles to go mine would show 90 days (time it will take to cover the 3000 miles to go to service) rather than 200-odd which is the days to go until my car is 2 years old.

Does this make sense [:D]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts