Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only had the car a week and a half and I noticed the other day that the spare wheel is an 18 and the wheels on the car are only 16's. Does this mean the car originally would have come with 18's and somone's changed them and does it matter? (sorry if its a daft question!!)

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Ive only had the car a week and a half and I noticed the other day that the spare wheel is an 18 and the wheels on the car are only 16's. Does this mean the car originally would have come with 18's and somone's changed them and does it matter? (sorry if its a daft question!!)
Perfectly normal.

The spare wheel is only a space saver. The 4motion has a much shallower boot that 2wd golfs, so they could only fit in a space saver wheel. With such a skinny footprint, I don't think it would have been clever to use a 16inch space saver - the side profile would have been too sloppy, hence I guess thats why the space saver is an 18

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Perfectly normal.

The spare wheel is only a space saver. The 4motion has a much shallower boot that 2wd golfs, so they could only fit in a space saver wheel. With such a skinny footprint, I don't think it would have been clever to use a 16inch space saver - the side profile would have been too sloppy, hence I guess thats why the space saver is an 18

That seems spot on!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts