Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows why in my manual the pics show the button with ESP but the actual car it reads ASR?

The car is a Golf 1.8t(150) 5dr 2001 (AUM)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Your button says ASR because you don't have ESP!

The 2 systems are completely different, ASR being Automatic Slip Regulation not ESP which is the full stability control system. ASR is basically only a glorified traction control whereas ESP uses electronic control of the individual wheel brakes to prevent the car from becoming unstable under all driving conditions.

Chris

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote: posted by markymarkn on 22/03/2005 17:35:24

So how come my switch says ASR but I have an ESP light on the dashboard that comes on every time I start her up?

I think you might be thinking of the 'EPC' light which comes on when you start the car up.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Quote: posted by Paul 1.8T on 19/03/2005 08:35:45

Well thats me told then!!

Cheers...

The words hat and coat spring to mind!... And don't forget to shut the door on the way out! lol [;)][:D]

·
Registered
703 Posts
EPC = Electronic Power Control, or in layman's terms it is the drive-by-wire throttle system, ie there is no mechanical cable connected between the accelerator pedal and the engine.

Chris

·
Registered
752 Posts
Your car is the same model/year as mine. Mine has ASR, ESP was a cost option in 2001, but was made standard on later models as the mk4 neared the end of its run.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My 03 GTI had an ASR button but in also had ESP - just didn't ave a button for it.

In fact I'm nearly sure all Golfs had ESP from day 1 no?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Dunno mate, the Beetle must have got it before the Golf.

ESP definitely superceded ASR. Volkswagen made a big deal (lots of adverts) about the fact that all Golfs now came with ESP. This was at the time when I was buying my car. It was summer 2002, and ESP came standard with MY2003 cars. My 2001 car has ASR.

Plus the fact that ASR is just 'anti-slip regulation' which is a bog standard traction control, and ESP is an "electronic stability program' which as Chris says above is much more sophisticated and is supposed to sort you out if you get it wrong in corners.

I suppose a 2.0 Beetle doesn't exactly need traction control either does it?[:p]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Stevoraith on 29/03/2005 12:07:22

ESP is an "electronic stability program' which as Chris says above is much more sophisticated and is supposed to sort you out if you get it wrong in corners.

5th Gear demo'ed it last night, and its amazing TBH. Tiff took an X Type and went through two chicanes at 70MPH on sheet ice. With ESP off the car spun wildly out of control. With it on, you could see the wheels individually braking and maintaining control - completely without drama.

They also had a sheet of ice on a steep slope, and even with steady throttle control, it was impossible for Tiff to drive up it - the car just wheelspun and slid backwards. With ESP on, it went straight up, again no drama at all.

It confused me even further because I am sure advice here was to turn it off in the snow!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah it was on an hour ago, i just turned on to see the Jag hit the wall, very impressive once the ESP was turned back on. Give it a month and it'll be on discovery every other night!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts