Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just have been thinking to myself and i would have spend lover 4k on mods by october:

alloys
suspention
CAI
ARBs
Turbo back
312mm DIsks & red stuff pads
4 bar FPR
revo stage 2 remap
koni sports suspention kit
dog bone bush
Tyres
4 mo rear vanace

Eliminator turbo up grade (should be done by the end of sept)
turbo kit
high flow mani
3 inch intake
injectors
3" MAF
Gaskets and extra parts in aid of the upgrade.

really i should be saving my money for a mortgage to get on the ladder. but instead i spend shit loads on my car when i do get allot of fun out of driving. all my mates also love coming in my car when we go places too so we all do get allot of fun out of it, but spending all thins money on something that is just loosing value day by day its craszy! im looking forward to breaking the 300bhp band soon which should be fun [:D]. not saying im going to stop buying things for it or having a go at people who spend all there money on there cars (as i am a guilty party for that!!) but damn i spend so much on this bloody thing that you will only get pleasure in return and no money.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Yes there are better things to do with your money ie invest it in bricks and mortar, but any car nut or performance junkie will tell you how they can justify buying the car they want and or modifying it! Everyone has a hobby/passion don't they.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah! this is a costfull hobby but the prob the only hobby i have taken dedcated interest in!

·
Registered
832 Posts
i just have been thinking to myself and i would have spend lover 4k on mods by october:

alloys
suspention
CAI
ARBs
Turbo back
4 bar FPR
revo stage 2 remap
dog bone bush
Tyres
4 mo rear vanace

turbo kit
high flow mani
3 inch intake
injectors
3" MAF

really i should be saving my money for a mortgage to get on the ladder. but instead i spend shit loads on my car when i do get allot of fun out of driving. all my mates also love coming in my car when we go places too so we all do get allot of fun out of it, but spending all thins money on something that is just loosing value day by day its craszy! im looking forward to breaking the 300bhp band soon which should be fun [:D]. not saying im going to stop buying things for it or having a go at people who spend all there money on there cars (as i am a guilty party for that!!) but damn i spend so much on this bloody thing that you will only get pleasure in return and no money.
Same boat mate! All my mates are saving for houses etc (I'm only 20) but every month all my wage goes on mods & insurance and what is left goes on motocross, DJing, R/C cars, clothes and clubbing! I literally save NOTHING every month and don't batter an eye lid, while I sit there and think of what to buy next! Quite worrying really...

But hey do it while you still can, enjoy yourself & blah blah !

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

alloys
suspention
CAI
ARBs
Turbo back
4 bar FPR
revo stage 2 remap
dog bone bush
Tyres
4 mo rear vanace

turbo kit
high flow mani
3 inch intake
injectors
3" MAF

Same boat mate! All my mates are saving for houses etc (I'm only 20) but every month all my wage goes on mods & insurance and what is left goes on motocross, DJing, R/C cars, clothes and clubbing! I literally save NOTHING every month and don't batter an eye lid, while I sit there and think of what to buy next! Quite worrying really...

But hey do it while you still can, enjoy yourself & blah blah !
yes thats right! also allote goes on petrol and booze lol

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Enjoy it while it lasts guys. Trust me it will end all to quickly.

I used to do exactly the same 10 years ago, and i'll not saying i wouldn't do it all over again but eventually you realise you have nothing to show for your money. Its an age thing i guess, and just another way of thinking. Once you get past the mid 20's you will feel abit of a dipstick still living with the parents and that pushes you to look for bricks and mortar. Then come along the kids and you just know there are nmore important things in life.

So your young with plenty of money to waste. Great., go for it. Theres plenty of time to get tied down with a morgage, no reason at all why you can't do both in a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enjoy it while it lasts guys. Trust me it will end all to quickly.

I used to do exactly the same 10 years ago, and i'll not saying i wouldn't do it all over again but eventually you realise you have nothing to show for your money. Its an age thing i guess, and just another way of thinking. Once you get past the mid 20's you will feel abit of a dipstick still living with the parents and that pushes you to look for bricks and mortar. Then come along the kids and you just know there are nmore important things in life.

So your young with plenty of money to waste. Great., go for it. Theres plenty of time to get tied down with a morgage, no reason at all why you can't do both in a lifetime.
lol indeed, bu the annoying thing is i still want so many more things, r32 front bumper, anni side skirts, anni rear spiler, brembos, uprated clutch, polly bushes, pull out some dents and respray some parts, smoked front lights, RBBR or RWWR rear lights. might also need rods depending on the torque spikes of this new turbo setup! oh well heres to many more grands to come!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
wish i would have bought a nice/quick car when i lived with my parents.....

i blew all my money on beer, going out, holidays and cloths.... and drove about in a 4 grand Punto GT

I could have quite easily afforded to buy, run and insure a Mitsubishi evo 7 looking back at how much disposible income i had back then[:'(]

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
lol indeed, bu the annoying thing is i still want so many more things, r32 front bumper, anni side skirts, anni rear spiler, brembos, uprated clutch, polly bushes, pull out some dents and respray some parts, smoked front lights, RBBR or RWWR rear lights. might also need rods depending on the torque spikes of this new turbo setup! oh well heres to many more grands to come!
Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking it. Infact its probably best that you do waste your money now. Cos you won't be able to mrgaged up to the hilt. The amount of times i've told my GF "no more mods" when we buy a new car. Three weeks later and i'm going cold turkey for even the smallest little mod. I just can't help it [:$]

·
Registered
346 Posts
I always tell myself just this small mod and thats it, and i end up buying loads. When i purchased my bora it was going to be simple and a sensible car but i have already done stuff to it and ordered more stuff for it. I just cant help myself and i tell myself i will be keeping it for a long time, a very very very long time. So in that light I dont see it as wasting money.

Oh i also own my own property at 25, so i dont have to worry about selling it in the near future so i may as well keep spending lol

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Im in the same boat, plan on what im buying for the motor months before i recieve my wages, and when i do half the lot is spent on my motor. When i first had my Bora i just wanted tints and lower suspension, now im getting it remapped , looking into bigger wheels, ice, colour coded valances etc...in amougst these you have to give way to general service / maintaining costs, tax, insurance, fuel costs etc....

Its all fun and i know in a few years time ill regret it, but you live it and learn.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Regardless of a mortgage, you still have to have a hobby/interest. Yes, cars are an expensive one, but a very satisfying one!

As for wasted money, if I think back over the last 5 years what i've earnt and what I have to show for it, well not alot apart from some savings and a pile of cash for my recently departed Golf, but hey, I had fun spending it and enjoying life!

I now have a new hobby I have just taken up. Its called working my arse off to pay a mortgage. Hard work and a bit boring, and I had to take a big loan to take it up, but at least I have a project I can modify to my taste over time, enjoy and show off.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Spend it while you have it.You can only spend it once so put it into your hobby. If you like a drink it ends up down the urinal. At least you have something to see for your money the next morning.

When i look back over the years (and thats quite a few) what i have spent on motorbikes and cars i could have, if i had saved it all ,paid off my mortgage.You spend an absolute fortune on bikes and they aren't a necessity to most.In the space of two bikes over eight years(including loan interest) on leathers , lids , gloves , jackets etc along with fuel , insurance, performance parts etc, race meeting entry, trackdays and stuff i have blown over 30k.................................all on a leasure hobby.( and i'm a fair weather biker only too)

Then there was the modified boy racer cortina's and stuff when i were younger. Trips to Santa pod and shows in the early 80's before a lot on here were born.

In some ways i'm pleased i didn't keep an accurate tab on things cos it would be scarey. but in other ways i wish i had.

But i do have a lot of good memories.........................and they are PRICELESS

I am now, maybe unwisely, saving all my modifying receipts for future reference but these do not include accomodation when going to shows(can't be doing with camping at my age), show entry or fuel for things which if i weren't a car fan wouldn't cost me, cos i wouldn't be doing them.

But its worth every penny in my book[Y]

·
Registered
742 Posts
looking back i could have saved up now and bought a brand new fully spec'd mk5 r32 but at my age i cant because of insurance but in the last 2 months i've spent over £9k on mods alone! and have spent well over £20k on my bora but i wouldn't take back any of the mods i have put on or grudge the money because i get soooo much enjoyment out of it! although i dont like it when things go wrong (which is most of the time!  

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hmmm, I'm similar to you guys in that i should be saving for a house! However, my view is that modifications on a car are for personal enjoyment - in the vast majority of cases, we modify our cars for ourselves, and to improve (or address the shortcomings) of the car in its standard form.

Personally, i'm not doing it to impress anyone else. Whilst modifying is 'a slippery slope' (as my mates say) - it is human nature to want to improve on things.

Yes, I could have had a small deposit for a house by now with the money I've spent on my golf, but perhaps i would be sat in my little house perusing new car brochures and calculating a remortgage by now if I hadn't!! The way i see it is that there are not too many cars on the road i would upgrade to that are within budget. A new ASBO or Golf GTI would be great, but are tens of thousands to upgrade to, and the leap in performance might not be devastating.

Life's too short - as long as you are happy, and you're living within your means, then its no problem. However, there's is always something on the horizon that could change your priorities!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have spent loads since getting my 1.8T, and if i didnt have a mortgage to pay for, i would have a nice set of BBS LM's on a new mk5 GTI

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
if anything its a cheap hobby So long as it is your main one... i used to race karts now that was expensive and had almost instant depreciation ....

Howvere I worked with a trainspotter that easy spent more than that on travel and hotels ... just to spot trains

On the flip side I know people who blow the price of a used mk4 r32 on clothes every year.

Then theers the people that spens it on **** and booze.

So long as YOU enjoy iit dont worry

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont look back on any thing i have done to the car and i dont see it as a waste! its good fun and ill keep doing it till im satisfied lol.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
looking back i could have saved up now and bought a brand new fully spec'd mk5 r32 but at my age i cant because of insurance but in the last 2 months i've spent over £9k on mods alone! and have spent well over £20k on my bora but i wouldn't take back any of the mods i have put on or grudge the money because i get soooo much enjoyment out of it! although i dont like it when things go wrong (which is most of the time!
lol i always look at it like that, i could have baught an r32 by now but then i think r32's all look the same and for the same cash ive got a different lookin car, youve spent some serious cash on ya bora mate n when ya look at it id say its well worth it lol, just watch out for those bricks ;-)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts