Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as tital says!

i dont understand why people remove these! i think they should stay! its part of the car! it is the car really! i think with the badges and emblem removed looks awful imo!

all u need to do to a golf is lower it, new alloys, and colour code if not got a gti gt-tdi spec and colour code the front and rear valances! nothing else needs to be done to the exterior! im starting to see many mk iv's ruined its a shame!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Well it's a very personal taste thing, a lot of the people who've done it will automatically say you have to do it and it'll look better, I think otherwise, as it makes the car look more complete (ditto model name and engine spec badges). Likewise with colour coding, some people think it's a must, some don't. If you think it looks awful, don't do it to yours, then feel smug when you see one without badges [:D]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
One mans pleasure is anothers poison mate [:D] I think the fact
debadging kits are freely available for very little money, make it
easier to de-brand a car.

Of course this is only for the front badge, the rear badge requires welding up and smoothing...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Personally, I think that the Golf MKiv has so much character and style in its design that making it look a bit smoother by taking off badges etc only improves !

I'm only into OEM styling, after market rims and extreme body kits are what ruin them for me.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Maybe they're worried that not all the Beastie Boys fans have been locked up yet?

(For those that don't remember,they use to steal VW badges from Beetles and Mk.1 and 2 Golfs and wear them as medallions.)

Chris.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ive debadged my car (well just the Golf badge), and IMO it makes it look visually cleaner whilst still retaining its VW idenity.

Just look at the pictures above.

TBH I have more of a problem with people putting random badges, which dont relate to VW at all (just my 2 pence worth!!)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Ok really simple question, which looks better.

When I got the car:
Posted Image

Couple of days later:
Posted Image
Looks much better debadged. Dont listen to Shuiming........ advertising what car you've got looks gay, even when its a V5 or V6, let alone a 1.6 or 1.4
Looks cool with just the VW badge.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have debadged mine, because it gives it a cleaner looking rear end and keeps people guessing as to what it is.

I'm not into removing the VW badges though, although I have colour coded the rear one. I suppose its a personal taste thing.

The whole badge thing at the back can be a bit overdone GTTDI for instance !! No offence intended chaps.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Not so keen on debadged VW emblems but each you their own...Opinions are like bumholes, everybody has one.

One thing that i absolutely hate, and there is a good example on E36`s picture above (blue bora), tacky number plates with symbols on etc....just dont get it. You see them with england flags, playboy bunny thing and i think wow what a great way to cheapen your motor.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Ok really simple question, which looks better.

When I got the car:
Posted Image

Couple of days later:
Posted Image
The V5 and the thing underneath aren't/weren't OEM were they, so they looked pants. I love my badges, especially the ones I've made myself, like a front TDI badge - I feel like Tony Hart! I had a rear GTD, but had to take it off as there is a MkV GTD on the way (I think) and people would think I'd copied that, when I'd actually I copied the good old days of the MkII GTD!

Looks much better debadged. Dont listen to Shuiming........ advertising what car you've got looks gay, even when its a V5 or V6, let alone a 1.6 or 1.4
Looks cool with just the VW badge.
Well than call me a raving ****! It's nice to see what others have got and compare/admire spec. Nothing wrong with advertising what you've got, that's why women often don't wear very much - to advertise what they have!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yer, the Bora and V5 are the OEM badges. The ABT badge wasn't. Also, forget the number plate, that just looked hideous anyway!

Benjie....you raving **** [:D][:p]

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
how do the rear badges come off anyway , i was thinking of taking the golf and 4motion off mine and leavin on the v6, are they just stuck on or are they through the panel

·
Registered
366 Posts
They're just stuck on, but you'll need an adhesive remover!

Often a good idea to warm them up with a hair dryer first, then I used some fishing line to 'saw' them off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts