Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its especially bad where i live..... (BRADFORD).... and it really fecks me off.

The majority of Pakistani's i come across will always speak to one another in their 'home' langauge to each when im in their presence...... even though for the majority of them the only home they have ever known is the UK. So why not speak ENGLISH ALL THE BLOODY TIME or at least leave the urdu for home!!!

If every time i came across a pakistani, i started speaking a different language to people around me who understood it, but the pakistani didnt, would i be classed as racist/disrespectfull by them?

Probably.....

Surely it would be more respectfull to leave the Punjabi, Sindhi, Siraiki, Pashtu, Urdu, Balochi, Hindko, Brahui languages at home and speak in 1 language that everyone understands in the room??

What do you reckon??
Do you live anywhere where there is a large pakistani population that dont seem to want to integrate ?? If so where?

Why do Indians integrate very well with the british society and the majority of pakistani's dont??
Is it anything to do with religion???

Dont want to start a racist thread, just looking for other peoples views on the matter

·
Registered
143 Posts
Its probably intentional. Integration would be easier if provisions weren t in place to allow this, e.g multi lingual leaflets, availability of translators, etc. When in Rome, ........................................

I think a major overhaul of political correctness thinking is on the cards, rightly so!

·
Registered
573 Posts
totally agree

the UK have taken this political correctness too far. In Bridgend we don't have Christmas lights any more we have festive or holiday lights - so we don't offend any other religions.

if you go out to another country we respect their customs and religions, just keep your head down and be respectful. and don't make a fuss about your a guest in there

in work (civil service) cant send out retirement cards for all to sign as some one may take offense (ageist)

asre if you ask me....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Are you for real? Its not secret code, if you wanted to understand what they were saying you could learn the language! I don't see why you should be bothered anyway, its likely their conversation doesn't involve you.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you for real? Its not secret code, if you wanted to understand what they were saying you could learn the language! I don't see why you should be bothered anyway, its likely their conversation doesn't involve you.
DOH!!!! You really do not have a clue where im coming from.....

Why on earth would i want to learn a language that would be of no use to me anyway??

Their conversation may not involve me..... but it would be classed as disrespectful if the boot was on the other foot.

Why would they speak in a different language they both understand but the third party doesnt .....when they can speak perfectly good english anyway??

you tell me!

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
What's the problem with them speaking in another language if that's what they find easiest?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What's the problem with them speaking in another language if that's what they find easiest?
because it can make some people feel uncomfy. we have to do things to make them feel comfy esp at this time of year, so why cant it work for us too?

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
because it can make some people feel uncomfy. we have to do things to make them feel comfy esp at this time of year, so why cant it work for us too?
I don't do anything to make anyone comfortable that is beyond normal polite behaviour.

Here's a hypothetical question for you:

You and your mate are on holiday in France, you're both fluent in French but you both have English as your first language. What language would you speak to your mate?

·
Registered
924 Posts
totally agree with you mate, am chinese and i speak to my family in chinese, and my girlfriend white, she doesnt seem to offended at all. and better still we have been together for 4 years now and have learnt the language!!

by saying you are fed up of people talking a different langauge, if you go abroad are you going to talk there langauge?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I follow some of the racial integration posts on this site but this one is taking things too far.

Language is only a barrier if you make it a barrier. Is it the language that is the problem or something else that bugs you?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Difficult one this, very interesting to see peoples views though. I do not consider myself racist in anyway and have had a very open upbringing. Despite growing up in "middle suburbia" where a black/asian family stand out a mile I have not been drawn into the closed mind attitudes that sadly still exist. I do also, however, live about 15 minutes from middlesbrough where there is a very large indian/pakistani population. It is quite apparent that many of them choose to integrate successfully, but others do not... why???

Could be several reasons... Religion is possibly the biggest motivator, but with religion comes many strong values and morals This is why I choose not to follow a religion. In any type of community though you will have people that choose not to integrate anyway, whether, white, black or any other form or race or religion. I know of a bloke down the street thats basically a mute and very unsociable.. He doesnt offend me, I find it strange though. But hes white and English.

I think it is also important to consider the nature of the situation and whether you feel threatened by the fact you do not understand. It can be intimidating. I have several black friends and have never seen them as anything other than just friends as are my white friends... however when I was in the gym, I was the only white guy around with about 5 or so black friends. On no level whatsoever did they change the situation or make me feel threated, we laughed and joked as normal... BUT, and this is the important thing... I felt out of place. Its purely how you percieve things...I suppose that was the closest experience I will get to recieving anything in the form of "racism"... and believe me it wasnt. So what it must be like to experience genuine hatred and racism appauls me!

What I am trying to say is that, if you allow yourself to, you can become paranoid about things and assume that people are being deliberately disrespectful, when in actual fact they arn't. For me manners and respect are something that change in everyone... I would never deliberately exclude someone from a conversation etc through language or identity, but others will not see it as a problem.

For me its more about cultural and society upbringings and morals... unfortunately there are people out there of all races that lack respect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is going abroad temporarily (whether on holiday or for any other short term reason) comparable to choosing to reside somewhere permenantly?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
DOH!!!! You really do not have a clue where im coming from.....

Why on earth would i want to learn a language that would be of no use to me anyway??

Their conversation may not involve me..... but it would be classed as disrespectful if the boot was on the other foot.

Why would they speak in a different language they both understand but the third party doesnt .....when they can speak perfectly good english anyway??

you tell me!
I don't get where your coming from, if one of the party doesn't understand the chosen language then surely its not much of a conversation? Or they aren't involved in the first place? Point is they are probably comfiest talking their own language so thats what they choose to do.

Do you get annoyed when you see people talking in sign language cause you don't understand it??

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't really understand where you are coming from either... are these people you actually know? were you involved in the conversation? If not, you shouldn't be listening in anyway so it's irrelevant what language they are speaking in! Also, if everyone involved in the conversation understands the language they are using, and it is the language they are most comfortable with, then what's the problem?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with your point Mmuuzzyy in that if it were the other way round we would be (according to the Media and overly politically correct persons) insulting and disrespectful to them,

However i am sure the average person on the street English, Indian, Pakistani etc etc wouldn't really care...

It is a handful of people who cause a fuss which the media gets wind of and then makes an issue of..

This in turn causes the government / local councils to be overly politically correct and alienate everyone...

There is a thread about one of W36 EJO's friends getting points and fined for moving out of the way of an emergency vehicle..

Again someone somewhere has decided that this is best for the country, yet in practical every day life it isn't....

Everyone should live and let live....

That way maybe this country might be a slightly nicer place to live.....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
It can be rude, my gaffa is chinese & some of the staff are too, they speak in their dialect in front of me, but thats only cos the gaffa's english isnt too great.

I have one of these now though..........

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 139 Posts