Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously a lot to do with the drivers but I would have thought they'd do better.

Any ideas? I don't know much about it so laugh at me if it's obvious!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
TO HEAVY may have had the big power but when you compete against a lupo with a tuned 1.8 turbo lump it aint going to do you any favours.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It got a great lap time at the Nurburgring and by the Stig on Top Gear though...?

Is the R32 standard and the others cars heavily modded?

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Don't they have to add up to a power/Weight ratio? and the R is near enough there? as the others have less power but less weight to throw into the corners?!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think (but may be wrong) that 240bhp is max power.

Not a lot for a 1500kg car, but plenty for one weighing 900kg.

I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I thought this year you had to run original style engines for the chassis, so no 18T transplants? The Scirrocco that jaba prepped for Rob Carvell ran a 16v on carbs didn't it?

There are different classes for power to weight or at least max power I believe too. Dunno why the r32 did not do better, maybe a similar powered 18t 2wd was just quicker on the track due to less trans losses?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Matt you are correct when you say the maximum power output is 240bhp. As you say ample for a car weighing as much as the R32 does, but when it's competing against cars that weigh around 1000kg and have almost as much power, it loses its edge!

Jeffers

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I now that the lupo was pushing out nigh on 200bhp with under a ton in weight, so I am not sure how much weight the r32 would have shed.

Checking the regs there is something in there about making the power to weight ratios similar but I can only imagine the lighter cars would come out better due to less wear on tyres fuel etc.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
cos they're lardy arsed and rubbish[:D]

Even Tabs 414 would beat them.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Come on Henry we've not had some good R32 baiting on here for ages.

It probably didn't help that they had to stop for fuel every couple of laps either.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yep, Agree with Wilko. Way too heavy.

They were never any good on the road, never mind a track!

They only come in to there own on a motorway !

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'm sure when at Donington earlier this year there was a Bora 1.8T?? you could hear it whilsting away clear as day, and it wasn't no diesel!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
..and yet again the 1.8T brigade all pile in and have their two penneth forgetting that as standard, their cars are about as interesting as a washing machine and forgetting also that an R32 with a few quid spent on it is faster.

..and that they can only put down their 3435545bhp in Arizona like conditions on a track coated in non slip...

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 01/12/2004 18:50:13

..and yet again the 1.8T brigade all pile in and have their two penneth forgetting that as standard, their cars are about as interesting as a washing machine and forgetting also that an R32 with a few quid spent on it is faster.

..and that they can only put down their 3435545bhp in Arizona like conditions on a track coated in non slip...

Don't take it so serious Matt!!

BTW, its common knowledge that a remapped 1.8T is quicker than an R32[:D]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.