Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted the following ad - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-V5-BLACK-RARE-BOLF-CONVERSION_W0QQitemZ250026503728QQihZ015QQcategoryZ9873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On ebay at least 6 times now and nobody has showed much interest in the car at all. It has been on numerous other GTI and VW specific websites and still no interest. Can anybody recommend what I am doing wrong or offer any advice on how I might sell the car?

There is nothing wrong with the car but I need to sell soon. I have already reduced the price considerably and don't want to go below £6,500.

Any help appreciated. Ta.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Parkers puts a standard V5 good private sale at £5160 with 60000 on the clock. Problem is, you're over that by about 2 years worth of driving and all the mods will only appeal to people like us on forums like this, you're selling to a very small market. The majority of us love our cars and, whether one car is better to own/drive than the other, we still love our own cars best because of the effort we've put into it. Hope that made sense.

I should add though, that I don't personally think 6500 is too much, especially considering the climate rebuild, but again, people don't care that much about stuff like that when they think about the asking price.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Its too expensive... full stop. Book price for AVERAGE mileage is 5k, average mileage is 10-12k a year, the car is 6 years old so has done 30k more than average, cap and glasses trade guide all say you should knock of 3-400 quid for every 10'000 miles over average.

So if it was standard it would be worth about 4k book price... mods DO not add value unless you are very very lucky to sell to an enthusiast.

IMO your car would have to be priced around 4.5k to sell, dont forget there are 2 year newer V64motions with a higher spec and only 7ok floating around for 6k... so I doubt you will sell it at that.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but seriously you need to research what V5's and V6's are fetching the trader (nationwide) to see that gas guzzlers are not popular ATM

I would like to think mine is worth 8.5k but realistically know I wont get much more tha 6k for a w reg v64motion with 80k, leather recaros r32 trim, r32 wheels, fk konigsports, etc etc..

And when it came down to cutting a deal i would probably get bid down to 5.5

Sorry to be harsh but youasked [:O]

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
find someone you can swap front ends with and get some santa monica alloys

the car will defo sell that way and you will get your money back too!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Agreed with Andy. Far too expensive. I bought my (newer) V5 (ok it was a bora, but good comparison as it had loads of mods on it) with 43k miles on it for £5500.

You'd need to reduce it to about 5k to sell it I think. I know you had it up for 10k on ebay! Your wasting your time advertising it by doing that.

Hope you sell it soon though if you desperately need to sell, though I think your in for a shock at the actual price you will get.

·
Registered
602 Posts
find someone you can swap front ends with and get some santa monica alloys

the car will defo sell that way and you will get your money back too!
Thats some good advice as its a popular conversion at the moment.

Selling a more standard car will apeal to a much wider audience, maybe spend a few quid on new number plates always makes a car look a lot better, and make sure at the very least the wheels, tyres and windows are clean when someone comes to view it.

But if your like most people on here your car is probably detailed to mint condition anyway [:D]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its one of the facts of life that standard cars will always sell better than modified ones. In the past ive actually converted cars back to standard just to sell them, then sold all the performance/mod bits seperately to get the cash back.

Also, at the moment performance cars are not selling very well. A friend of mine had a mint 96 3 door RS2000 for sale earlier in the year. Absolutely mint. Full history, only done 40k miles from new. Cost him about 8k a few years back. Great car, quite rare, supprisingly quick compared to a lot of hot hatches. Only problem was, it was insurance group 20 which put people off and its an enthusiasts car. The average joe would rather buy an xr3i for next to nothing rather than a RS2000. And with so many dodgy high mileage ones around cheap, a suprising amount of people would prefer to buy them, than pay more for a decent example. My mate tried to sell it for 8 months, starting off at 4k (average price people were advertising them on autotrader at the time) and ending up selling it for cash to a dodgy trader for £1400.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Yep standard all the way. My Anniversary is going back to standard and the suspension is being sold, You've got to think about the target audience for the car you're trying to sell - not many people want modded cars - whereas most folk would want a standard car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agree, Market for modded cars will be small, loads of people will be turned off by anything that has been modded. Might be worth trying to go to a VW meet and see if you can get interest trest there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Which ever way you look at it I dont think your gona get more than a standard car is worth, you cant just add the money the conversion cost you to the book price and expect to get that figure. You do a conversion like that purely cos thats how you want your car to look, bar an engine conversion mods can never been seen as an investment and even then you dont get your money back.

Theres a 350+ brake fiesta been knocking around ebay recently and the conversion cost somewhere near the 30k mark (custom 2L turbo engine), the car sold for less than 8k and the engine hasnt even done any series miles yet!

Finding someone who wants the conversion done is about your best bet of recouping some of your costs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i cant see you getting much more than the car is worth (market value) i have spent countless pounds on many cars over the years and they have never sold for more than the value of the market . you will never get money back unless you get someone who is looking for this type of thing

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the honest feedback guys.

Its broken my heart, but have knocked another grand off the price to £5,500.

That will definately be my last reduction though.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Is too expensive, milage is high and mods dont add anything to the price.

Mods tend to put people off tbh.

Id be suprised if you get an offer anywhere near £5500.

Even though you car may be in mint condition and have nice mods there are 2 major things that spring out when looking at the advert from a non car enthusiast point of view.

The fact its got so many mods and a different front end on (will only appeal to car enthusiasts, so you limiting the amount of people who would otherwise be interested) and the fact its done close to 100k.

Most people presume that a car is past its best when its done 100k even though the truth of the matter is it may be good for another 100k.

I reckon you'll get between £4000 and £4500.

If it were me id put it back to standard and sell your bits on here.

not meaning to offend you with any of my advice.... [:)]

·
Registered
72 Posts

Gutting init. Another thing which might put people off is, if its had a different front end put on it, they might wonder if it was put on for a reason. i.e. maybe it had front damage etc... so id stress that its hpi clear & you`ll take any inspection etc...

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Mate, I've just struggled to sell my Golf for £5500, and that was a 2001 V5 170 with less miles, FSH, just serviced, Santa Monicas, premium audio etc. I was lucky that after 2 weeks of not a stiff a local guy saw the ad on ebay, came round next day and paid me what I had it up for, £5500. It cost me a grand in depreciation in 8 months, plus all the money I had thrown at it for new bits which comes to another £500...

If i'm honest, I did have a chuckle when yours first went up on ebay at £10k. £5500 is more reasonable, but with the mods you have narrowed down your prospective market big time. Considering its a 2000, nearly on 100k, I think you would be lucky to get half of the initial price you had it up for.

Best of luck anyway, hope someone comes along soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Trouble is that you've personalised it - made it your own. People want a blank page to play with rather than one covered in someone else's doodles. A couple of subtle mods can be overlooked, but a major overhaul like yours is going to put people off (even though I'm sure it's beautifully done).

Russ

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Selling it won't be a problem. A Golf will always sell, regardless of condition and mods and the fact that you have narrowed down your potential market. Its just how much people are willing to pay, and £5500 may be a tad optimistic unless you get lucky.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
On ebay you'll be lucky to push past 4 i feel, you only ever get trade price. As you're car is so special the add could do with more pics and closer up so people can get a clearer view of it from all angles.

I would suggest thought that to really sell it a return to standard would help

·
Registered
72 Posts
On ebay you'll be lucky to push past 4 i feel, you only ever get trade price. As you're car is so special the add could do with more opics and closer up so people can get a clearer view of it from all angles.

I would suggest thought that to really sell it a return to standard would help !
When i was looking for my golf, I found that cars on ebay actually sold for more than they were making on autotrader at car dealers!!! I guess it must be because more people see them on ebay & get into bidding wars. I couldnt believe some of the prices things went for.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Take ebay prices with a pinch of salt. Alot of it is hoax bidding and timewasters. Cars that are in demand will always get good money on ebay, all it takes is 2 people with the money who have to have the car and you can let them play each other for it.

That said, I had no interest on my V5, apart from timewasters who wanted to p/x their car and wanted full retail prices for theirs against mine which was already very well priced. The local guy who bought it got a bargain at £5.5k. I still think it was worth £6k, but I needed the cash more than the car so cut my losses.

It always seems to be that when you are looking to buy, there is never the perfect car at a 'good' price, yet come sale time, that same car is often struggling to get its true value.

Its all down to how desperate you are to sell the car too...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts