1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... in comparison to other cars. I would say a impreza wrx sti is in
the same league as an R32 (??) but theres like 7-8G different ince
price. Whys this ?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
two reasons the cost of pruduction of the vw is higher due to european /laws/employment/wages etc and try insuring one!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Subarus have massive insurANCE COSTS AS SO MANY HAVE BEEN WRITTEN OFF. andin the late 90's they wer the car jackers favourite

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Check out the interior of one as well, you might be in for a shock. OK that's not all of the price difference, admittedly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got offered a mate's WRX STi so I looked at insuring it and most places wouldn't even quote me because it was an older one, and so an import (though they are all technically imports as they are made in Japan). The cheapest quote I ended up being offered was ?2000 which in my mind is just ridiculous. Though what I find strange is I could insure a modded Supra worth the same for just ?750.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vw interiors are not the best ... having had to take off bits and piece
here and there, ive found out its all show and not exactly tough
wearing.

I just got a few quotes on myself to get insured on an sti ....... ?5000-9000 !!! I didnt even think that was possible.

If I get my dad as first then me as second then around ?800 which is more like it !

As for the supra, i know what you mean ... companies work in silly ways ...

·
Banned
774 Posts
Re: why are subarus so inexpensive ...

Probably because they are relatively undesireable to anyone not interested in performance. A WRX is about the same price as a MKV GTI new. They spent the money on trick diffs and the AWD rather than nice materials for the cabin. Regarding insurance the premium for my diesel MKIV is the same as it was for my modified Impreza Turbo!

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
From what I've heard, once the miles are clocked up the repair bills can sometimes start to mount considerably. So, bills, image, insurance, it'll have been caned...... would you pay R32 money for one?

Tony

·
Registered
166 Posts
This kind of thing might be part of the reason? [:O]

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=459813
OMG...

(quote)

Two youths as i was getting out of my car at my home came up to me, one stabbed me twice with a screwdriver in my belly (lard saved me) and i was bashed over the head 3 times with apparently a claw hammer. while on the floor i was repeatedly kicked and stamped on.

(quote)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The real reason is the number of Scoobs on the go from UK garages and the addition of cheaper imports from Japan which makes the Subaru a lot more common than an R32. That plus the relative similarities between the various fast Sooby models from WRX's, STi's, WR1's etc etc.

A WRX with PPP is a performance match for the R32 (out the box) but an STi is a faster beast again (although a WRX with PPP is not a million miles away from a Standard STi).

The number of cars stolen add to insurance as do the fact the older ones are now affordable to biy racers who invariably prang them. They are Subaru Impreza's the same as the new ones. In addition because the Impreza is Turbo'd there are a lot more easy tuning options available for them and "chipping" is very common as are big exhausts, dump valves and inductions kits. These all add to the insurance cost.

People keep slating Subaru interiors and I cannot understand why. My MY99 model had much better seats than any VW I have been in and the dash was a lump of plastic the same as any other VW I have been in. I think a lot of people have not forgiven Subaru for putting in the park bench seats and shiny plastic 1970's style dashboards as fitted in the 1st Impreza's.

Pound for pound the Impreza is a much better buy in my book.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Reading that thread,some of the stuff thats going on is crazy,has this
kind of thing started happening with GTi's??? and seams to be a few
comments on there slagging off Tracker systems,i always though it was
meant to be a good system.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've decided that my next motor is going to be the Sti version impreza, Quoted 479 for insurance on a twelve grand car ! Thats without a tracker , Bargain. The interiors tho arent a patch on the golfs in my opinion.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't forget the terrible mpg they return, coupled with the current cost of petrol is putting people of buying and forcing used prices down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts