Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just phoned a VW dealer re an R32 they are advertising for ?23.995, and they have just come back with a value on my car

Gti

Steel grey

6800 miles

leather

18's

centre armrest

The offered me ?17k so that's a lose of ?6.200 in 10 months ,WTF [:mad:]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
you lose 3k driving it out the showroom.... if you sold it privatly you will most likely get a few grand more but need to be prepared to clean it advertise and prep it...

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
when I had all the problems with my car, VW offered me ?14000. The car was 5 months old, with 9K on and cost ?23200. I told 'em "no", oddly.....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't get ne wrong, I know I was going to take a hit, as I have done in the past, but that amounts to ?620 per month or ?155 per week, or ?20.66 per day FFS.

And the Gti is supposed to be desirable, I'd have to think what I'd lose if it was a lemon.[:(]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Blimey! I thought the GTI's depreciated less than the standard Golfs.  So what would you lot expect to get back in three years time if you only get 17k for it now? I wonder if it will be still be worth more than Focus ST?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They will always try their luck...

But this is why I would never buy a new car with my money.
I agree, and have never bought new up until my GTi, but dealers were asking nearly new money for 1 year old cars, so they want it from both ends more than most.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Values seem to have dropped generally with so many more about.

Glass's is showing ?16,700 p/ex. value for a 06/55 plate. 3 door on 7,000 miles in excellent condition.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
BMW offered ?10750 for mine, that then increased to ?11250 but that was still a 7k drop in 14 months, as for a Focus it will lose more in % terms but in good old ??? it will lose a similar amount to a GTi if not less when you compare like for like base GTi v ST1 high spec Gti v ST3 (ST3 has leather xenons 6 cd etc as standard)

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Thats also the problem when you spec up a car you dont make it back sad fact it may be more desirable when it comes to sell, but in the world of dealers it makes no difference until they put it on there forecourt.

Thats why I cant understand why people have mkiv r32's up for stupid money 3 years or more old no warranty average miles yet they want 30% less than when it was new, standard depriciation on a ltd car like that is at least 50% in the first 3 years and lots more after yet they want in some cases 20-25% less than new for this muppets.

Rant over

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
This all goes to show why there is no point in speccing cars with options - at sale time the value in those options (even if it ?1,600 worth of leather interior) just disappears. The guides are only interested in how the car has de-valued from the new price of a standard car. In this case it is ( I guess a 5-door GTI). This can be bought new from a main dealer for under ?20k today so how can anyone expect more than ?17k for a used one in part ex? But its got leather and alloys and armrest and sound-pack? So what says the dealer, its still a used GTI at the end of the day and people will not pay a premium for optional extras when on a used car, anything like they are prepared to pay for options when its a new car.

This is why I cannot bring myself to order a new Golf as the car I would want will generate ?2.5k in options, including things that you should not have to pay for like 2-zone climate (it should be standard on a GT), heated nozzles for washer jets (which I do not want but have to pay for because they are in a 'pack' with the heated seats I do want), two extra doors I do not want (but have to pay for because you cannot order a DSG box in a three-door diesel) etc etc!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The answer is easy mate....

KEEP IT!

Keep it for another 2-3 years, yeah you will take a smack when you finally sell but at least you will know exactly what you will be loosing.

That is what I will be doing, I did not buy the car to keep for a year and then sell on - I would have got second hand if I were to do that.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Whilst dealers don't take into account the options, they certainly do when sticking them on the forecourt, otherwise GTis with options wouldn't be going for silly money.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whilst dealers don't take into account the options, they certainly do when sticking them on the forecourt, otherwise GTis with options wouldn't be going for silly money.
You got it in a nutshell Steve.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
thats true. With regards to my above post, my car has ?4500 of options on it - and according to the dealer, with the exception of the satnav, none of these counted for squat in terms of p/x as no customer would want a car specced like mine. I specced the car to a value I was allowed to spend, next time, I'll go for a lower spec car that is built properly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You have to remember when you buy a new car as soon as you drive out the show room you have lost the 17.5% VAT straight away, if you take that into account you haven't lost that much in terms of the actual price of the car minus the governments cut. The dealer has probaly offered you more than a new car would cost them from VW with the same spec excluding vat. Also any extras should really just be added straight onto the depreciation as you get very little for them at trade in. You would have probaly been offered ?16,700 for a standard car. VW dealers are also attempting to keep 2nd hand prices high you are very hard pushed to find a 2nd GTI outside the dealer network.

My plan is to keep the car for 4 years (depreciation in the 3rd to 4th year is very low in general) then sell it privatley I would hope that it keeps the trend of the Anni MK4 where a clean low ish mileage one 4 years old still goes for around 10k on the private market.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's fair enough, but if you consider they will mark it up to ?21k on  forecourt, I still think there greedy. when I traded my MK5 diesel, the sales person admitted it was in such good condition they wouldn't have to do a thing to it to sell it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts