Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Thinking of getting a dump valve. Will this produce any chatter? Whats best DV to get for the golf?

Will it help fuelling?

As i have a faint bit of chatter on my car now , very faint but u can hear it.

Wouldnt mind having it sound like this.....you can just hear the chatter, bit louder than average

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~bprocter/bens/chatter.avi
That chattering sound, although it sounds quite cool and sort of wrc/rally-x, is actually the turbine stalling.. not a good sound in reality.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Will a new DV cure it then ??
Well, you tend to get the fluttering sound if the dv is knackered. however the chattering sound in the file clip above is a more pronounced sound, it'd be difficult to tell unless you could hear it in the flesh, so to speak ! I would say that if it is a standard turbo, then his dv is knackered

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has no-one got a DV on their car then?

Ive seen golf videos with turbo chatter before. That proper fast black golf in Germany for example

·
Registered
557 Posts
if you wnat to sound like that proper fast black golf, then you need to mod it like his. Get your self an inline 5 cyl audi S2 engine and mod it to the max! The chatter on standard golfs is bad and will wear the turbo. All golf 1.8t's have a recirculating DV this can be made loud and sound like a punto if you want by putting on an open elememnt filter (k&N and the like) or a CAI. If you want one to dump to atmos then you MAY get fueling / running problems. Have a search of the site you will find LOADS on recirc DV's vs Atmos BOV.

Happy reading

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Has no-one got a DV on their car then?

Ive seen golf videos with turbo chatter before. That proper fast black golf in Germany for example
That depends if you mean dv as in diverter valve or dv as in dump valve.

Some people have dump valves, but, iirc, it's only the earlier cars (i.e. non-dbw) that can use these without throwing codes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
chatter wont harm the turbo its only the sound of air going through the blades in the turbo, so unless air can damage metal you be fine, ive had chatter on every turbo'd car ive had and not once had problem with a turbo, or ever heard that it wil damage turbo,and you will get chatter from a induction kit than from a dv which wil only make a pppttshhh sound, hence why most cosworths run massive air filters instead of dv and chatter like mad and i think it sounds cool, i have forge diverter and pipercross and sounds nice,

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok im gonna get one. Heard that Forge sell the best dump valves for a Golf?

Any recommendations would be helpful

cheers

·
Registered
518 Posts
if you talking:

- Diverter Valves - most people opt for the Forge 007 (IIRC)

- Atmospheric Dump valves - try a search. think there are a few post around with people that have had them on AGUs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts