Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else going to the Le Mans 24hr endurance race next June.

Im most likely going 15th-19th June. Its 8 months away but books up fast.

Just wondered if anyone else been planning on going from this forum?

GT 130

·
Registered
837 Posts
Was a Le Mans virgin last year and am deffo going back again for 2006. Should hopefully be taking the R32 this time too (unless I sell it). We'll probably have an R33 Skyline GTR V-Spec in the convoy too. Can't wait.

Think we'll be staying Wednesday till Monday and staying in Expo again. The pig-sheds made a fantastic sheltar from the heat this year.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im trying to get a feel for the experiance, iron out any concerns etc by reading anything possible about the camping etc...

Any info would be great. Are the cars ok whilst camping then? Bit concerned. Glass on floor everywhere etc... drunk campers acting up or damaging the car. Any of that?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well, a damn good place to start would be the Le Mans forum on www.Pistonheads.com (shortcut http://www.lemans.org.uk). Loads of people on there who have been going for years. There is also some info on the http://www.the-twats.com/ website (apologies mods for the T-word like twits - but that's what they call themselves !).

Didn't really see any trouble while I was there this year, but have been warned to always lock everything away or take it with you as there are quite a lot of pikeys about. On the Sunday evening we watched some old bag and her husband fill up a battered Citroen ZX with 18 tents (yes really!). The campsites within the circuit are probably a bit safer since I think you have to show your ticket to get into them.

Will this be your first time? If so, one of the best pieces of advise I was given was to just go and work out what you forgot/did wrong afterwards. If you forget anything, you can always find a hypermarket and buy it.

It is a long drive. It looks like 4 or 5 hours but it WILL take you longer, especially if you are in a convoy and are on the alert for Gendarmes. Also, depending on how far you have to drive through the UK on your way back, some people recommend booking into a cheap hotel near the port (in France or England) as you will be knackered.

Oh and if you are convoying, take some 2-way radios. Damn useful and much better than flapping your arms about [:D]

·
Registered
316 Posts
hey spanner was you in Red Expo this year? if so were you the guys in the large shed with the hammak etc? if so im not sure if you will remember but i was the guy who came over asking for some jump leads.. ??? does this ring any bells?

le mans is an experience.. but i went down with porsche and well apart from the camping lived like a king..

free beer and food while there and also met a few stars and also the drivers wifes :)

i basicly recommend booking everything in advance..

ill be going with the same guys from this year..

check out our pics from this year..

www.vagowners.com/nu/gallery

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would be well up for going in 2006 i meant to go last year but it crept up and before i new it it was le mans weekend, where do you stay as in the past i have stayed in a hotel about 20 mins out side the circuit to enjoy a blast to and from the circuit is great fun, so let me know as i think it would be cool to organise a group bash and convoy [:D]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im planning on going with a few cars in convoy, sorting it out at the moment. just trying to decide on a support vehicle! theres so much to plan, but lots of time. should be awesome. Bring on the Le Mans 2006.[:D]

GT 130

·
Registered
837 Posts
@ Richie : We never made it into the sheds properly as the only bit left had a concrete base. We got lost on our way down and ended up begging the Danes for a pitch on the grass in the middle. We had 2 Mk3 GTIs and a battered Mk2 GTI in our group.

·
Registered
316 Posts
lol you big wuss. the danish were funny..

the only reason they didnt want peeps camping in the middle was it would have ment no room for the peeps around the tent at night..

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyone used speed ferries? and what camp site you rate for the best, im interested to hear oppinions on this one.

GT 130

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Will be there again. Failed to meet up with Spanner but was in the same campsite. 6 cars and a support vehicle - massive gazebo, gas BBQ, TV/DVD/PS2, sound system and a fridge.

Another good site for research - http://www.beermountain.com/ for a flavour of how childish it can get.[:D]

Posted Image

I think we are going to try and get the cars liveried this year. The Pistonheads "RAF" TVR's were a sight to behold.

·
Registered
316 Posts
we went with a few cayennes, 911's, 'rarris,m3's a lambo and austin heeley last year... was awesome fun..

think were all going again this year.. but more of us this time.. and doubt were staying on camp site due to a couple of complaints

·
Registered
401 Posts
We aint stopping at a campsite either, which is bit of a shame as it sounds like a right load of banter. What happened last year to put you off?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Really want to go but looks like it might be myself and poss a mate as no one else can give me answers but early days, so wait and see but deff want to make up a convoy if poss, depends if people are up fot it?

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem is its still a good 6 months to go, organising convoys will be tricky this early maybe. But it would be well good to convoy down with some other golfs!! It also depends on the dates people have/are booking to go down there, personally were going down on the thursday before the weekend race.

I will be interested to see if many Mk4 modders go there from across Europe, I will be constantly on the look out for that euro styling. [:)]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not been before and have booked it for full six days until the Monday - can't wait. [:D] Only thing I need are 2 grandstand tickets in the ACO grandstand, anyone have any contacts for this and an idea what the price is?? Ta.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
grandstand = ?85 each

i was quoted by "team lagoustine" - where we get the tickets etc.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts