Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fitted one of these turbo kits with all of the appropriate goodies?

I will be fitting a new turbo soon if anyone wants a K03s.

I am looking for a very reliable turbo running sub 280 and ideally the package is for track work and long term reliability.

I have been looking at all kits available but I will be sticking with APR mapping like my current set utilising APR stage 2.

There is a new turbo design which will utilise APR mapping which will be fitted at Awesome. Myself and Jim will be looking at this new turbo and utilising APR custom mapping. This is not the GT28R kit but a simple bolt on upgrade.I am looking for a quick spin up turbo for track use out of corners it should be like the current set up which at present is approx 225-230 and 260lbs.

I will let you know when the kit is fitted.

By the way there is a load of us going to Donnington on the 19th of November on a trackzone day if anyone's interested.....only 99 squid.

Ian

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Sounds interesting Ian, looking forward to your results.
Cost/Performance is always an issue though as with sub 280bhp you're not going to see a staggering difference between your current and new setup but new turbo's and maps come at a heavy price.

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
an! I've bit the bullet and ordered a turbo for mine, so logging and mapping should come

round a bit quicker, give me a call for any updates!

Speak soon

Dean

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I am going to keep an eye on this as I am still fancying a bigger turbo for my car. Nice speaking to you just now Dean.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds interesting Ian, looking forward to your results.
Cost/Performance is always an issue though as with sub 280bhp you're not going to see a staggering difference between your current and new setup but new turbo's and maps come at a heavy price.
Thanks Gary.....I'll keep you posted on the development.

I've weighed up cost v reliability and simply there is no easy answer other than the OE spec tubo is blimmin reliable if not that powerful.

I don't want a laggy turbo but being in the track scene for some time you know who has reliability and who doesn't. Also the wife drives the car so a an OE spec delivery will suit her when she needs the car.

Big turbo's and there cost when pushed on track (prone to failures due to heat) can issues for some when weighing up cost and repair hence my decision for lower power but added reliability.

I expect a nice gain over it's current spec but exact figures are not known at his stage....myself and Dean are opting for this new spec turbo which will be a budget conversion for some. Anything above 260bhp will be nice with long term track reliabilty.

Keep you posted

APR I believe a writing a new code specific for this application

Ian

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Just so you know about other people with a K03s/K04 Hybrid turbo's, Star Performance have fitted the K03s/K04 hybrid as part of an upgrade on several cars. The info I got from Jim was that the Ko4 will be good for 260bhp. Your stock injectors will cope with this power and Jim reckons it might be worth fitting the ATP exhaust manifold with the turbo. Total from Star £1199 turbo fitted, £300 for manifold and remap price.

There is a lad on Seatenthusiasts who had this turbo fitted from Star and also has a a polished inlet manifold, ATP exhaust manifold, silicone TIP, FMIC etc, he makes between 280 and 290bhp. Another lad had this turbo and changed it to the GT2X because of "reliability issues" with the K04 hybrid and because the power was more available across the revs with the GT2X. Peak power on the GT2X and K04 is similar but the power is more widespread on the GT2X.

Star have supplied and fitted the GT2X turbo to several cars and claim the turbo will make upto 280bhp. It needs the bigger injectors, S3 intake & maf plus remap. They also recommend the apexi boost controller fitted price.

To be honest, knowing the price of injectors and boost controllers is the same as a FMIC, I reckon I would go with the Hybrid also as it will be a "safe" sub 300bhp figure and therefore not getting in to the 300+bhp danger zone on standard internals.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This new spec turbo will hopefully be the answer for me on a very tight budget to give a reasonable gain. I'm not looking for 300hp as the investment to that level is not what I want. Secondly long term track thrashing / reliabilty will quickly cause me problems on the marriage front!!

Therefore a 40+ bhp increase across the range with good torque and spin up is essentially what I would like to achieve.260-280 would be nice 'if' achievable with new injectors but keeping it looking OE will be a nice touch.

I'm not at all bothered in dyno figures other than how it performs on track in the long term. Awesome will develop the car. It already has all the hardware bar injectors so it will be a simple conversion.....hopefully

Keep you posted

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Ian,

Good luck with this. Which parts do you have fitted already out of interest and what figures does your car currently produce?

My car has Turbo Back Milltek (ultra 2.5" downpipe), silicone tip, K&N panel filter and forge dv and with a star map, makes 243bhp and 244ft/lbs of torque. If the figures on the K04 hybrid are correct, I would only be looking at 20bhp gain. However it would seem that with polished inlet manifold and uprated exhaust manifold, you can add 20+bhp on to the mapped hybrid total making the figure closer to 290bhp.

The only thing stopping me on the hybrid route is the potential lack of bhp gain over what I already have. To me, I would be disappointed if I spent all that dosh and only saw 25bhp gain but I know that is realistically what I would get.

I believe that adding the ATP exhaust manifold and polishing the inlet manifold will make the most of the bigger K04 turbo (add the 20 or so bhp) and would like to try it prior to upgrading the turbo on my car as it is. However, I am unsure if the K03s turbo will be beefy enough to take advantage of it. I have heard of this being done and a K03s car will see a reduction in bhp. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, does anyone know why, if the K03s shares the same internal parts as the K04 and the difference is the housing, why the lines need to be changed when upgrading to a proper LCR sourced K04 from K03s?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mycar is a AUM engine with K03s as standard.

RR is dyno lottery IMHO therefore figures only give an approx guide. My car has APR stage 2 mapping Neuspeed FMIC Neuspeed larger TIP Milltek 2.5 DP sports CAT and exhaust.

It runs a standard airbox and JR filter.

It also runs a Quaiffe diff and is Polybushed all round.

It runs Neuspeed ARB's Koni ride height kit

I upgraded the brakes to Tarox 2 piece 6 pot kit using Motul RB600F fluid. I run it on BBS CH alloys and Dunlop Inters.....goes well on track and still looks like a family car except for Oettinger bodykit.

At Awesome the car ran approx 225bhp and 262lbs before I drove the car and ECU adapted therefore it maybe slightly stronger. It may produce better figures at Star but dyno's a lottery and I feel Awesome's RR are pretty accurate from what I've seen around the country.

The turbo I'm fitting is a different development from the K04001 that APR originally marketed.Until the new unit is developed using APR software I won't publish figures but suffice to say I'm very looking forward to fitting this unit.

This unit is far cheaper compared to the bigger units and benefits from quick spool up and easy fitting utilising all original oil and water feed.

I will be experimenting with APR re injectors and possibly manifold

Ian

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Isnt this what AM motorsport were doing... well years ago? I know Mike from there has been running a 03/04 hybrid for ages because I've spoke to him on a couple of ocasions when I was considering this path.... hes even done the ceramic lined inards if I recall correctly...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isnt this what AM motorsport were doing... well years ago? I know Mike from there has been running a 03/04 hybrid for ages because I've spoke to him on a couple of ocasions when I was considering this path.... hes even done the ceramic lined inards if I recall correctly...
I don't know TBH.

There has been some development of the old K04 APR turbo details to follow when it's fitted to my car and Awesome's car.

We are hoping it will fill the gap between 230/240 to 280+ at a reasonable budget. I know it won't produce IHI power but it will be a simple bolt on for those who have reached the end of KO3s mods.It may very well produce suprising results!

It should be fitted in htis month when Jim arrives back from US.

Ian

·
Registered
680 Posts
there are less of these around than the fingers on one hand..

question to ask is are these units new or remanufactured units and come with what warranty.

I drove mikes ibiza and it went well, but was mapped or 25psi boost level.

Wondering how long on track (for ianb benefit) one of these would last. Road use is not track use. 2 years on the road use vs a single track day use is no comparison for reliability. Track is extremely hard on equipment. I know how hard you drive Ian :p

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Hi Bill! hope all is well!

Good question though, the units are brand new not exchange and made

up from genuine kkk part and modified where needed

Speak soon

Dean

P.S mine still hasn't turned up, just chasing them up this morning!!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hi Bill! hope all is well!

Good question though, the units are brand new not exchange and made

up from genuine kkk part and modified where needed

Speak soon

Dean

P.S mine still hasn't turned up, just chasing them up this morning!!!!
hiya m8

I would expect something from you guys to be as you describe....

Not everyone is as open on what they're supplying, which is what I was trying to say. (albeit not very well - lol)

Be interesting to see something between k03s and BT

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Hi Bill! sorry didn't see this!!!!

Not been so god from our supplier, having issues getting hold of standard Ko3s's!!!!!

So looking elsewhere at the mo'! Been tied up a lot recently with research tasks! lol

Soon as we find something we're happy with, will post it up!

By for now

Dean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts