Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few issues in fitting my cat back Miltek and wanted advice from those that have DIY fitted them - or if there's any friendy tech's that want to share....

How far have you inserted the sleeved joints?

For instance the centre joint where the exhaust zags across the car on mine has about 1" inserted... Should it be pushed fully home?Same with the joint over the rear axle, mine is not pushed all the way in.

I beleive the front joint to existing downpipe is fine as the first hanger sits in the right place but the other joints are the ones in question.

Just looking for ideas to stop the damn thing rubbing/knocking etc before I lose my sanity!

Scott

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Right the problem I have had as I have chopped and changed round different parts on the milltek is that it is never the same on any car.

Sorry to say that it is really a case of trial and error as it took me at least 3 adjustments to get it sitting right on a CAT back, then I fitted a 3 inch downpipe and straight through cat bypass and it mark where the join came upto on the old cat etc and measured to the same point on the bypass pipe and now the rear back box sits further back.

As I have said just try to get both the connecting pipe to the rear box and the rear box pipe that goes over the rear axle as close to the centre as possible, also as I have found due to ride height if you load up the car with the rear low already it can knock / vibrate at this point.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Scott,

I fitted mine to both my golfs and both times I have had to fiddle with them to get them to sit right, and before anyone says anything about the exhaust on my R being squint that was all thanks to my local VW dealer who removed the exahust to fit the new fuel tank and after 3 attempts still couldn't get it to fit straight but seeing as I am removing it when I put the car up for sale I can;t be bothered to sort it! Anyway...

Anyway back to your questions, it is a case of trial, the problem I had was that the sleeve at the front that fits the cat didn't go on far enough which meant the rest of the exhaust never lined up properly and occasionally caught on the rear axle.

J.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The other way to know if it is fitted properly is to see if it lines up straight in the 4 mo rear valance, if it's not lined up right it's not fitted right...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Buy new clamps to! first big pot hole you hit and that pipe will be knocking a goodun! the steel staps supplied are hopeless... I went to GDS to get some decent ones and my miltek fits reasonably well now...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by marriedblonde on 02/12/2004 12:13:01

The other way to know if it is fitted properly is to see if it lines up straight in the 4 mo rear valance, if it's not lined up right it's not fitted right...

Will look at that when I get a 4mo valence... I have achopped standard one at the moment.

First time I have ever had so many problems with fitting an exhaust!

Cheers!

·
Registered
445 Posts
just so you know sleeve joints shouldn't be fully home, they allow some expansion of the exhaust when hot.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I fitted my own on the MK4 (bought from a 1,8T owner and fitter directly onto my PD130, no adaptation - Miltek said this was the same beast themselves too!)

Jammily i managed a perfect fit on first attempt but i did have to tweak the rear box for level of tailpipes.......within minutes of fitting tho.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Scott, which part seems to be causing the problem? Mine doesn't knock or vibrate any more but it's become more boomy than it was after it settled down. If you let me know some specifics about what yours is doing I may be able to make a suggestion or two after all the fitting difficulties I had with mine.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine fitted no problems, the only tweak was to lever the rear hanger open slightly, as the tail pipes sat too high in the valance, but apart from that no snags.

The only annoying thing is the amount the exhaust grows by when warm! It sits perfect when cold, but grows by 1/2" when warm, nothing I can do about it though - Physics at work.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never know other exhasts grow as much as this Milltek does though!

pope1 - I seem to struggle to get the middle box to hang in the middle, when I manage it the tail pipes sit wonky or the first hanger bracket knocks. Currently the tailpipes sit fine - if a little too far out but the middle box is jammed tight agaist the left side ( looking from the rear ) of the tunnel... vibration a plenty!

The real question I guess is the middle joint on mine is only inserted enough to stop the blowing sound.. should a push it in further and tug the reat about again?

Ta

Scott

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Scott, ignore the tail pipes for the time being even if they end up looking totally crap.

On mine, the centre section cannot be pushed all the way into the piece coming from the cat because of the cross bracket. It's pushed in as far as possible with about 1/4 inch or so between the end of the box and the cross bracket. Suggest you fit yours the same.

Next, you have to arrange the s shaped piece so the the centre box lines up with the centre of the tunnel with no tension in the system. THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT. That centre box is such a tight fit that if it's not dead centre it's going to knock/vibrate, as you well know! Here's the bad news. On my car the fitters had to heat and bend that S shaped pipe a little to achieve the centre fit that I've mentioned.

When you've got that mid section centred nicely, put some wedges in to keep it where it should be while you move backwards with your adjustments. That last bits are a "female dog" to do if you're on your own on your back under the car. My car was on a ramp up in the air and it took two fitters holding individual pieces to get the adjustments right. My suggestion here is to get some help if possible to hold one section while you try and adjust the section behind.

You may have to disconnect the rear axle hump piece in order to do the above. All of this is a right PITA I know, but I think that if you don't start with the centre box in the middle, it's very difficult to achieve otherwise.

PM me if you would like any photos and I'll try and get under there tomorrow and grab some snaps.

Chris

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers, Sounds like my front section is as yours so I need to start from there back. The otehr problem I hit is o matter how tight I do the front -> cat joint up ( i broke a bolt lasty weekend overtigtening it) it still moves when adjusting the rear box. WIll have to get some differnet clamps and see if I can get it to say still...

It's getting cold here for laying on your back under the car I can tell you!

May try again this weekend and will update with my efforts!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
last thing I will say is regarding the rubber mounts for the rear silencer, if you can get hold of a couple of heavy duty cable ties the ones which are about half an inch wide, I wrapped these around the rubber mounts that hold the rear box to stop it sagging worked a treat and helps when lining up the rear box.

HTH

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by Caged on 03/12/2004 14:09:21

Cheers, Sounds like my front section is as yours so I need to start from there back. The otehr problem I hit is o matter how tight I do the front -> cat joint up ( i broke a bolt lasty weekend overtigtening it) it still moves when adjusting the rear box. WIll have to get some differnet clamps and see if I can get it to say still...

It's getting cold here for laying on your back under the car I can tell you!

May try again this weekend and will update with my efforts!

Cheers!

Scott

If you want a hand over the weekend give us a shout as I'm only down the road. Also the only place I could clamps big enough for the exhaust was from B&Q.

J.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by Caged on 03/12/2004 14:09:21

Yes the standard clamps are crap. My bolts are all bent out of shape but I haven't found anything better here - the standard U shaped ones will just dent the pipe so are not recommended.

The problem of the box moving while you're working on another section - that's something I noticed too, hence, the need to wedge the mid section firmly when you have in in the right place AND get an assistant to hold things firm.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, got to the bottom opf it this weekend....

The front mount that is a bar across the exasut and itts in a cradle hanger has a couple of washers welded to it to stop sideways movement... They are too big and foul the cradle. I ground the bottom edges falt and refitted... jobs a goodun!

ONly knocks on the rear beam every now and then due to the car being low and the exhaust tube being fat!

Much happier, And it's quieter too!

Cheers for all the help folks!

Scott

·
Registered
336 Posts
when i put mine on i had to take all the nounts off then elongate the holes in order to push the system forward to enable it to mate up to my dp

1 - 19 of 19 Posts