Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts?

My mate has just taken delivery of his new TT 3.2 DSG and took me out in it earlier today [H]

I was well impressed, it handles and stops like a dream, I love the styling too.

But i'm disappointed that Audi have just thrown the old 3.2 lump back into it, the same one that was used in the old TT, R32 and A3?

I'd still have one though!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I've been speaking to Ed at APS and they had one to take to the Audi Driver day at Castle Combe. They really rate it and say its a quantum leap from the old car for the reasons you state.

I also like the styling a lot, having seen quite a few around now (work v close to Aylesbury Audi they have a nice red one)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I've looked at the new TT and couldn't decide on it's looks. The interior is obviously gorgeous in typical Audi style but the outside from some angles doesn;t look right.

Saying that I did see one at my gym today and it looked spot on...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I saw a 2.0T TT earlier this week and wasn't impressed with the looks. It's lost something from the original. It looks too much like a Z4 from the front and like a Datsun 350z at the back. It was only on 17" wheels which looked pathetic and the twin exhaust was not even chrome tipped. It looked like it had just been hack-sawed off, - the sort of exhaust you see poking out the end of an old mondeo diesel. Oh, and it needs a proper spoiler on the back not just one that comes up when you start going over a certain speed.

Having said that I bet they drive well with that engine - my VRs with that engine goes like stink and the TT weighs a lot less...

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I really like it, much sharper looking than the old car and by all accounts much more driver oriented.

It also seems very good value, well equipped with reasonably priced options (Satnav for £600 etc)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have driven it and have the TTR on order well I have the deposit down and can spec it as of early December with May delivery. I want to go for the S Line spec as I beleive at this point that the RS4 alloys 19in will be part of that spec otherwise they are going on anyway. I'm going for the 2.0T which the dealer is going to supply chipped with warrenty, silver, red leather. I decide after driving the 3.2 and 2.0 (which I had in the Gti) that financially it was better going for the 2.0 and it still felt quite quick, I have just sold a 350Z as I was getting no more than 14 MPG around town which is more or less what the 3.2 Quattrio would average out. I thought the new car was way ahead of the MK1 in terms of driving but I actually prefered the dash in my old TTR, the options for Audi are pretty reasomable too but they have deleted a lot off the standard spec of the MK1. All in all I can't wait to get mine.

Heres a link to the S Line spec. http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_2724.shtml?page=2

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I have driven it and have the TTR on order well I have the deposit down and can spec it as of early December with May delivery. I want to go for the S Line spec as I beleive at this point that the RS4 alloys 19in will be part of that spec otherwise they are going on anyway. I'm going for the 2.0T which the dealer is going to supply chipped with warrenty, silver, red leather. I decide after driving the 3.2 and 2.0 (which I had in the Gti) that financially it was better going for the 2.0 and it still felt quite quick, I have just sold a 350Z as I was getting no more than 14 MPG around town which is more or less what the 3.2 Quattrio would average out. I thought the new car was way ahead of the MK1 in terms of driving but I actually prefered the dash in my old TTR, the options for Audi are pretty reasomable too but they have deleted a lot off the standard spec of the MK1. All in all I can't wait to get mine.

Heres a link to the S Line spec. http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_2724.shtml?page=2
Forgive me for asking - but am I right in reading the dealer is supplying the car remapped and will honour warranty claims?? Who's remapping it for them and do you have this in writing??

I've known Seat and Skoda dealers doing this, but VW and Audi as far as I know won't touch it (which is off considering it's a dealer option in Germany)

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
What are your thoughts?

My mate has just taken delivery of his new TT 3.2 DSG and took me out in it earlier today [H]

I was well impressed, it handles and stops like a dream, I love the styling too.

But i'm disappointed that Audi have just thrown the old 3.2 lump back into it, the same one that was used in the old TT, R32 and A3?

I'd still have one though!
I love them - but I'll be waiting for Quattro and 2.0T power before I take a serious look...

·
Registered
366 Posts

Forgive me for asking - but am I right in reading the dealer is supplying the car remapped and will honour warranty claims?? Who's remapping it for them and do you have this in writing??

I've known Seat and Skoda dealers doing this, but VW and Audi as far as I know won't touch it (which is off considering it's a dealer option in Germany)
My dealer who are part of HR Owen are doing it, I bought a Touareg last year that the dealer had had chipped and I had a letter to say it was still warented. Citygate (part of HR Owen) in Colindale definately sells aftermarket chips fitted. You will pay a premium but I think if you are spending 30k plus then it is well worth it.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
My dealer who are part of HR Owen are doing it, I bought a Touareg last year that the dealer had had chipped and I had a letter to say it was still warented. Citygate (part of HR Owen) in Colindale definately sells aftermarket chips fitted. You will pay a premium but I think if you are spending 30k plus then it is well worth it.
That's really good to know, and long overdue to be honest - there's been years and years of proof that remapping within a safe level has no detrimental affects on an engine... probably because VW de-tune them so much?

Oh, I'd forgotten the talk of diesel TTs - they'd certainly be worth a look too!

·
Registered
813 Posts

What was it like living with a 350Z?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I liked the 350Z it was the awful depriciation and MPG that has soured the ownership experience, I liked the fact that there is not many on the road as I had the Roadster, the engine is fantastic but I am used to turbos and never has that kick. I only sold it as we needed some cash quickly and I have the new TTR coming in the near future. I would recomend one to anyone but would definately say buy used. Here is a pic of mine.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The new TT looks great if you ask me but if definatly needs the bigger wheels,the wheels off the RS4 are the ones i would want but they are about ?1800 as an option on the standard car.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 19inch RS4's are ?1650 and I have ordered those as the others look too small.

Spec is

2.0T manual Brilliant black, red leather, Bose, Ipod connection, 19inch RS alloys, short shift, multi steering wheel, Tyre warning on DIS. should have May delivery TBC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Speaking of 350Z convertibles. I'm pretty sure that our old friend Felix (a blast from the past for those who've been around for a while) seems to be driving one - or at least his wife does as it has private plate on it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts