Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Golf Mk4 GT TDI (130) 6 speed.

I have looked at all of the below companies.

The ones im interested in are:-

Superchips - 130 to 161BHP

Revo - 130 to 170BHP & 229 to 280 torque

Jabba motorsport - 130 to 181/195BHP & 310/320 torque (for the custom remap)

JBS autosport - custom code phase 1, 2, 3 any info?

The ones im not so interested in are:-

AMD - 30BHP gain....

Allard Motorsport - 30ish BHP gain...

Tunit Box - Bluechip tuning, look naff in comparison to the rest of the market. only a 20BHP jump....

Jabba look like my favorites at the moment. I have a full milltek turbo back non resonated exhaust (decatted), and a K&N panel filter.

Jabba's custom option on the rollers is set up perfectly and tweeked till its 100% perfect for each individual car.

Your experiances would be great thanks.

GT 130

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Im going for Chipped UK next week....Offer approximatly 42bhp on my 115. and sound like they know what they are doing, plus we have been looking after a few of their promotion guys cars. (something along those lines)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i voted jabba simply because of the power gains u get there! especially the torque! wow factor i think you will get when driving!

but i would also say revo are good! from what i hear they work fine and never go wrong!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
You can't judge from the final power and torque figures alone really, obviously customer service is important but in terms of the map itself, the two final figures tell you nothing about how the power is delivered or whether it's within hardware tolerance. As an extreme example any fool can just crank up the boost pressure to silly levels but a good tuner will advise and recommend uprated hardware to match. It's about the total package.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you'll find the boost pressures stay nearly the same, its all about the fuelling. Theres a hell of alot more to remap/chip tuning than just upping the boost. The boost pressure increase is nominal on many remaps. (you can read all the technical detail on their sites)

Boost

Boost refers to the increase in manifold pressure that is generated by the turbocharged in the intake path or specifically intake manifold that exceeds normal atmospheric pressure. This is also the level of boost as shown on a pressure gauge, usually in bar, psi or possibly kPa. Colloquially also referred as "pounds of boost". This is representative of the extra air pressure that is achieved over what would be achieved without the forced induction.

Boost pressure is limited to keep the entire engine system including the turbo inside its design operating range by controlling the wastegate which shunts the exhaust gases away from the exhaust side turbine. In some cars the maximum boost depends on the fuel's octane rating and is electronically regulated using a knock sensor, see Automatic Performance Control (APC).

Many diesel engines do not have any wastegate because the amount of exhaust energy is controlled directly by the amount of fuel injected into the engine and slight variations in boost pressure do not make a difference for the engine.

Dont forget mate, this is a diesel orientated thread..... I dont need to know about petrol octane ratings and upping boost! Its all about cetane rating, oh yes[:D]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So how do people decide? You cant very well have every company chip/remap your car and then choose to go with the best one.

You have to go on their graphs and advice and ask people who have had it.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't heard anything but praise for Jabba. I was going to go to get them to fit an uprated clutch before I had it replaced under warrenty.
Im the same - havent heard a bad word said against them from people who have done it.... this along with the service and power gains for my derv is why I like them best at the moment.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
So how do people decide? You cant very well have every company chip/remap your car and then choose to go with the best one.

You have to go on their graphs and advice and ask people who have had it.
I was merely commenting in reply to goldgolf1.6se "simply because of the power gains u get there!" - as an extreme example it would be not much use just going for the very highest power figure if that power was not delivered in a manner that is effective for daily use or if it compromised hardware operating tolerances.

Anyway I always thought your car was already remapped? I seem to recall you had some pretty high torque figure in your old sig?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.