Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out on the M1 today to run the car in.

10mins into the journey and i'm seeing girls in passenger side of cars going by turning round to give my car (obviously not me) a good going over lol.

Put a smile on my face that did! [:D]

Also had thumbs up from White Van man and nods from others.

Only saw a couple other GTI's - one sitting at a service station munching away. Same colour too 05 plate and 17's.

Also managed 350 miles on first ever tank of petrol. Lets see how the 2nd tank of Optimax does.

Not sure whether i should run in to 500 mile mark (per dealer) or 600 per friend.

Its soo annoying when u can feel the boost building up and u hit 3k revs so have to change gear!

Really liking the car and the Bi-Xenons are amazing. Defo speccing that on all future cars.

The drivers seat is a very nice place to be.

Lee

Here are some pics I took after its first clean. [:)]

http://www.chungstersti.f2s.com/GTI%20Right.JPG

http://www.chungstersti.f2s.com/GTI%20Left.JPG

http://www.chungstersti.f2s.com/GTI%20Front.JPG

http://www.chungstersti.f2s.com/GTI%20Rear.JPG

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol well they were prolly saying to their other half who were driving a fiesta and CTR "why can't u buy a nice car like that one over there"

[:D]

I thought the GTI was rather subtle in looks and not that much out of the ordinary but blimey the amount of people who gawped at it today was quite surprising!

It's just a VW Golf!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Heh heh , I don't know who said that, it's not true though.

When I got mine last March, I got stopped twice in the 1st week, I hadn't done anything wrong, the officers just wanted a look at the car ;-p

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got pulled over too at Donington Services. I was heading there anyway so slowed to 60 behind some cars on inside lane.

The T5 Cop car was bombing along on outside lane then it decided to cut straight across the motorway to the hard shoulder.

It stopped there and waited for me to go past.

Then it pulled back out again and behind me - at which point I thought uh oh they can't be after me surely!

Pulled into the services and the blues came on - oh bugger.

Parked it up...dropped the windows..."Afternoon Sir no need to be alarmed just checking your number plate as it belongs to a different car on our system".

It's a private plate and the transfer was only done on Monday from my old car.

Phew!

But he probably really just wanted a closer look at the car hehe.

Martin....car is fab mate thank god I didn't opt for the Astra VXR!

·
Registered
154 Posts
astra vxr = filth

I sat in the new breed of Astra a couple of months ago, man, waaayy too much silver coloured plastics. Just horrible to sit in, everything just felt cheap and tacky.

Some of the exterior things are nice touches, like the lights, but overall it's just a case of "mutton dressed as lamb", it's not all about the numbers, it's how it drives. All the reviews I've read about it complain about it's ability to put the power down, torque steer etc.. etc..

Maybe I'm a badge snob, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. [;)]

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL @ Filth!

It does have too much silver bits in it - especially the centre console bit. Looks well tacky and cheap when you see how nice it is in the Golf.

Also it was a Vauxhall...and I got a rollicking from some peeps as soon as I mentioned it.

At the end of the day I wanted a bit more class and under stated styling rather than the OTT MaxP type styling of the VXR.

The Golf GTI was the only answer.

Didn't even think about the Focus ST - the new shape does nowt for me!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Know exactly what you mean about the new Focus shape, it just looks bizarre at the back to me....

As for these not turning heads, rubbish... Mine gets clocked occasionally (normally when it's clean [;)]), but when I first had it on day 1 I started the running in on a 200 mile round trpi to Winchester... Dumped it at the top of the high street to go chat to the ONeills landlord, turned round and half a people were looking over it.

Freaked me out (never known stuff like it before, esp for a car of mine? Was just weird!)

It does intrigue the cops like you and someone said though... Was sat in a layby up the road having a *** before I got home (can't smoke @ home), coppers pootled up, clocked the car and stopped for a chat about it.

Maybe I under estimate the car - don't get me wrong, it's lvoely... But is it just a car, after all?? [;)]

C

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know what you mean by turning heads. I find still after a year people look. At the start when it one of the first on the road I had thumbs up kids people coming up to me at petrol stations. The best thing for me is it makes getting out of turnings much easier, people seem to be far more helpful and accommodating, even on the motorway people try and get out my way which was sometimes strange when I was running the car in and going slower than them.

It is a very nice feeling.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Humble 1.6 owner here, but when i see a GTI i normally give the nod to the drivers or a quick flash of the lights and a smile/// sad yes but i WILL OWN ONE (eventually) LOL

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Haha I wouldn't worry, I don't see that many of them yet - so a toot and a flash to other GTI drivers isn't uncommon if I spot them enough in advance.

Sad, but true, and what harm does it do?? [:)]

C

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just been down to the local Halfords for some cleaning bits.

Group of Focus owners parked there looks like getting ready to convoy somewhere.

And what did they do....yep all turned round to have a good look as I was cruising round to park my car.

He he.

There's a Silver GTI with colour coded bits few doors away from me. Don't think he's seen my one yet tho.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Haha I wouldn't worry, I don't see that many of them yet - so a toot and a flash to other GTI drivers isn't uncommon if I spot them enough in advance.

Sad, but true, and what harm does it do?? [:)]

C
Hehe, I do the same, and it usually results in a grin and a wave/flash back at me [:D] Again, it's lucky enough if you see one other GTI on the motorway during any given journey. Gotten flashed by a couple of mk4 GTIs too, which is nice [y]

Get quite a few peoples looking at my car, once got a massive grin and thumbs up from a 997 4S owner who I was able to keep close with (we both got some dirty looks from his wife though [;)] she didn't seem best pleased!).

There's a copper who patrols the beat in the town centre of Canterbury, tall guy with a beard, you'll know him if you've ever walked around town... soon after I got the car I was passing near town, and he started waving and yelling to stop so I pulled over and lowered my window... he sticks his head down and says "Is that the new GTI?!"
Also got some stick from a peugeot owner who was convinced that my car was just a Mk5 with a body kit. When the lights turned green he learned that the car was not!
Occasionally get some nice look-overs by appreciative girls (steady on!) which is always pleasant...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
On the way to Ultimate Dubs in Telford I had both Beddie and Curley in their red Mk5 GTIs in front of me and they turned plenty of heads. Its a good looking car, and better in pairs!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts