Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Taztam - it was me !

I've just (yesterday!) re-ordered but this time went for 2.0T with DSG, Chicago 18" alloys, leather, dynaudio, muti-function s/wheel. Delkievery in Jan 07.

Got same discount as last time (£1100). No one else on the various forums appears to have had much joy getting money off so I'm well pleased.

PJG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep - loved the looks and the way it drove. Just hoping the leak at nearside rear window was a one off - the roof seals appeared to be mis-aligned in certain areas which probably explains it.

Loved my neighbour's new Mk V GTI DSG so went for same engine and gearbox - I realise the Eos will be heavier and not quite so sporty but that's not a big deal for me.

PJG

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've not got one but I saw one at the dealer with the roof down. It was metallic black with leather interior - absolutely fantastic looking car IMO.
Yes, quite a striking looking car and when I was booking my car in for its first service last week (at last!) the forecourt and roads in and around Beadles seemed to be full of them - all in Black!

Not so sure about the integrity of the multi-sectioned roof, though when it rains hard. I would think that there would be more likelihood of rain coming through than there would be with the good old fabric or double duck soft tops?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not so sure about the integrity of the multi-sectioned roof, though when it rains hard. I would think that there would be more likelihood of rain coming through than there would be with the good old fabric or double duck soft tops?
Doors don't though so surely it's the same theory?

I can't believe there's only one Eos owner on here though [:(]

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has one she traded her GTI for it.The car is great what suprised me is the handling and power I expected it to be too heavy but it drives like a dream and a measured 0-60 of 6.95 with a full tank drive one you will not be disapointed

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers MJ,

I managed to blag a drive a couple of months ago when they first turned up at my dealers.

Loved it, really nice to drive but I did drive it when it was in the mid 30's so thought I might have been swayed by the sun.

I did get another drive yesterday in the same demo for about an hour and twenty minutes...

Loved it again!

J.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Whilst I agree the EOS does look very nice so does the AStra twintop and after having a Renault Scenic as a hire car I would even consider the Megane, whilst the steering feel isn't that great and there isn't a match for the 2.0 T Fsi its certainly put together better than a GOlf and rattles less than mine. The EOS is hoplessly overpriced, the mony some dealers are asking 25k + is crazy money when an Astra will do the same for 12k less and you won't lose as much money on them, personally I would go for an A4 or a new TT. I will say tha the EOS is the best looker out of all of the latest generation of th CC cars, and where as a convertible can sometimes get you called a hairdresser I think the EOS could be used purely as a coupe.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you workout that the twin top astra is £12K I looked at the prices and yes it is cheaper by about £3K on list it will depreciate a lot quicker...

To get a leathered A4 2.0Tdi cab with some nice options you are looking at £32K and the A4 cab doesn't drive as nicely as the EOS IMHO, the interior space of the EOS is the same as the A4 and the boot space is about the same.

J.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I mean't the renault, but it would probably be an import. Depreciation is a strange thing it depends if you look at the % retained or the ££ lost, whilst VW's hold on to a greater % they do in fact lose more money. I reckon I have lost somewhere near 7k on my Golf in 14months, it took 3 years to lose that on my Focus and that was from new. The Golf if I had of paid list new (it was a year old when I got it) would have lost a further 5k so a total loss of 12k in 26 months is something you wouldn't lose on a twintop, you would lose..... 9k ?? at a guess. I won't be falling into the RV or better built VW thing in the future. However the EOS is still a very nice car and if you can afford it, then why not.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The demand for the EOS is outstripping supply at the moment which is going to be good for residuals. It's going to be like the mkV Gti was/is...

You can;t really compare an astra twin top to a run of the mill golf though, you need to compare a normal astra with the golf. No idea what the residuals are like on vauxhalls but guessing by the deals on new ones I'm assuming it's not that great?

Anyway... Not really an issue as I don't like the pug, the megane looks bloody awful as well IMHO. So my choices are the Vauxhall twin top or the EOS. Now while I know the astra is a reasonable car it's not for me, not keen on the looks, don't like the interior... So the EOS it is, I think, if they come up with the deal I am looking for...

J.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I reckon I have lost somewhere near 7k on my Golf in 14months, it took 3 years to lose that on my Focus and that was from new. The Golf if I had of paid list new (it was a year old when I got it) would have lost a further 5k so a total loss of 12k in 26 months.
Why would you lose so much, that sounds ridiculous to me, £12k in 26 months.

What model have you got? Are you including the amount of cash wasted on after-market add-ons - that always is money down the pan.

What car are quoting 60% retained value for the Golf after 3 years/36k miles. I think that is a bit optimistic (perhaps you could get near that on a private sale), it is probably more like 50%.

Even if you had a £24k list Golf (pretty unlikely), I fail to see how it would only be worth £12k in two years. A £24k Golf would be loaded with options, again a bad idea on re-sale.

So, please enlighten us on how you have lost so much. Also, how did you manage to find a 1 year old Golf with £5k off list?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was considering an EOS TDI...to cut my fuel bill and still have something a bit different. The key things that put my off were, I requested 2 dealers to notify me when they were taking orders and neither would take my money so when it came to it I thought what the heck - not my style and maybe I will put name down for A3 Convertible which is due out next year

That said, am still planning a serious test drive - ie no 10 min with the stealer beside you :) I tried to get the demo car as my courtesy car this week (cars in for 3 days so was trying for a 5day test drive, bit ambitious I know)

Keeping R until something confirms with R36 or IROC

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The Golf is a 140 TDi, it has the leather, sunroof, metalic lux pack 2, 17" alloys, 6 CD changer cruise, the list price so i was told was just short of 23k, I picked it up for 18k when it was exactly 12months old with 14k on the clock, it is now 26 months old and covered 34k according to trade in value its worth £11200 in excellent conditon, although I guess I could squeeze more, at the minute they seem to be dropping by £250 per month. Add ons don't count, they weren't included in the money lost on the Focus otherwise a further £2500 could have been added to it.

MB, the EOS does look nice and i like the way they integrate the sunroof into the roof, and the way the inside of the roof is lined makes it look like a proper fixed roof, but looking on the VW site the prices dealers are asking are stupid, your talking used boxter money. If I can ever make up my mind about the Golf I might consider the EOS but there is no way I would want to spend above 18k, there is the the Focus CC coming up and I think the diesel version of that will be better than the EOS diesel, the Ford TDCi is better and the handling is likely to be better too, but it probably won't be as well finished inside - ford leather looks like plastic and I'm not sure on the back end

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.