Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much should they be fed? I have 2 in a bowl and on the 'aquarian' food it says feed them a few flakes each 2-3 times a day. The pet shop I got my second fish from said 1 flake once a day each?

My pet shop fish has a longer tail than the other one and has white spots on it, whats up with my fish?

I did add stones to the bowl over the weekend, have they introduced bacteria to the bowl?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a pic of it... you can see some of the spots on its tail hopefully.

Posted Image

This fish is bloody scabby LOL, I can't figure out whether its a bit of fungus or just a patch of white fin on top of it and its tail/a few fins are a bit raggedy. From what I've read though it could be down to fighting rather than rot.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
he doesn't look scabby, you should have seen my goldfish after a fox dug it up out of the garden that was scabby!

i used to feed my 2 fish about 78 flakes a day but one died after a year or so and one grew massive and wouldn't die for ages, so I think they're pretty hardy[:)]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It's hard to tell much from that pic, one from the side would be better. One possibility is white spot and you will need to treat it or they could die. I lost a load of fish through white spot. It usually occurs with poor water though when I checked out mine I couldn't find anything wrong with it. If you've basically bought the fish and put them in a tank then it won't have had a chance to go through the nitrogen cycle.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sounds like the white bits might be 'Whitespot' (aka "Ich" after the causing fungus) and is a fungal growth. Raggedy and/or blood streaked fins is usually a sign of 'Finrot'

You can get remedies from most pet stores to add to the water that will usually clear them up. Though I'm no expert, so not sure wether you can mix two medicines at same time, as you usually get one treatment for one disease.

Someone else may know more....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the replies guys!

Nik,

Do you have a definate answer for the food situation?

Here is the best pic I could get of the tail, hope it helps.

Posted Image

So am I right in thinking then I'll need to get something to treat the water, treat the 'white spot' (if thats what it is) and also something for fin rot incase this is a problem?

Whats the score then for cleaning out the bowl in future? Leaving water overnight then swap it over?

·
Registered
162 Posts
As they say im pretty sure its ich and i have a fairly good knowledge of fish. You can add multiple treatments at one but no need just for whitespot mate. will take around a week to clear up and its nothing you have done wrong, just a bacteria that gets under the scails and when it "hatches" it makes a litte hole which is then covered by a cist. The Cist is the "white spot" on the skin. Treat it fast before your otehr fishy gets it. Nothing serious if treated properly.

As for feeding i would say 2-3 flakes each once in the morning and once in the evening. If they are leaving any scoop it out because it will rot and cause bad water.

HTH mate

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I May be able to help ....

I Know a fair bit well i did a degree in aquatics and owned a retail aquatic outlet

first off it seems ya fish bowl isnt filtered ?

when you change water do you treat it ie with a conditioner (aqua safe ) to neutralise the contaminates plus coat the fish in a protective coat

sorry have to ask the stupid questions as most people think its a case of just add water

sudden changes in water parameters can cause Ich Protozoan Parasite (white spot)

and when treatment is required nine times out of ten its due to high levels of

nitrite , nitrate , ammoina or sudden changes in water temp ie

fish waste not breaking down (filter not working or no filter or over feeding

bad water conditions are norm the result , therfore this needs to be corrected before any medication is used otherwise it will not work and prob cause the fish to die sooner

only when this has be done medication can be used

the life cycle of the parasite is around 6 days there fore treatment is to be carried over a 7 -10 day period to ensure it has been delt with and completly clear

there are many medications on the market and your local dealer should be able to advise you the best ones they stock , there are a few i could recommed but your dealer prob wont stock them

oh and if ya can get some aeration into you tank while treating that will help

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
With regards to feeding

i would say 1 small pinch in the morning and one at night , try to do the same times of day as your fish will learn when its feeding time

also a tip to remember is ...............A hungry fish is a healthy fish

Been keeping and breeding fish for 25 years all types

any other info ya need drop me a pm mate and im more than happy to help ya [:D]

Edit

just see ya bit about changing water , never change 100% only ever do max 30% unless there is a serious problem

also best day to do water changes is wednesday ie

the waterboard load up the supplies with tons of chemicals to clean the pipes out on a friday

ie people at home using water more at weekend hence the pipes get flushed and buy tues , wens they are back to normal levels

so best to get a container fill on a wends morning let it come up to room temp during the day then just before ya added it to the bowl add ya water conditioner

PS. Ya would be amazed what crap is in tap water ......if ya wana know just phone the water board and ask for a spread sheet of whats in your local water .............

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry have to ask the stupid questions as most people think its a case of just add water
[:$]

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Nosaj, what do you recommend for keeping them in? Is a Biorb a better idea? I'll get some water treatment and something to clear the ich in the meantime [:D]

EDIT: did a bit of reading and it appears a biorb is not a good idea for goldfish as they are messy? Does anyone know of any other 'good looking' tanks that will make my fish a bit comfier?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
[:$]

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Nosaj, what do you recommend for keeping them in? Is a Biorb a better idea? I'll get some water treatment and something to clear the ich in the meantime [:D]
didnt mean it to sound that way , just had a fair few peeps in my shops over the years and some people never knew to add treatments to make the water safe ....it was only when i realised there where certain people purchasing produces that they didnt need due to water quality issues ...

no worries i do apoliges [:)]

thats a good fish bowl but expensive to a certain degree

you should be able to buy a small internal filter for about ?15 that will filter your fish bowl , and ya can hide it with a small rock or ornament [:)]

with regards to water treatment your local dealer will prob tell ya to use Tetra Aqua safe , cost around ?3.50 and treat about about 40 gallons

a cheaper way and just as good is buy buy a produce called Fresh Start you will find it in the pond section cost about ?5.00 but will treat 500 gallons

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Top man Nosaj, hopefully my fish will be better soon!!
no probs mate glad i could help [:D]

Biorb are good little tanks , but it all depends if ya wana spend even more money considering ya already have a bowl for ya fish

But if ya go for the internal filter for your exsisting bowl the fluval are about the best ones [:)] and if its the sponge foam based one

Tip for cleaning , do once a month but only in water collected from the fish bowl never do with fresh tap water , as tap water will kill the filters bacteria [:)]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm looking after a goldfish for someone. I've been given the fish, a tiny bowl and some food. I know nothing about fish.

I have have following questions:

How often do I change the water? It doesn't have any sort of oxygen bubble machine.

Bearing in mind it doesn't have a bubble machine, is it getting enough oxygen. I was changing the water every day just incase.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Top man Nosaj, hopefully my fish will be better soon!!
no probs mate glad i could help [:D]

Biorb are good little tanks , but it all depends if ya wana spend even more money considering ya already have a bowl for ya fish

But if ya go for the internal filter for your exsisting bowl the fluval are about the best ones [:)] and if its the sponge foam based one

Tip for cleaning , do once a month but only in water collected from the fish bowl never do with fresh tap water , as tap water will kill the filters bacteria [:)]
Do you know if the tropical ones heater can be turned off?

Was thinking this may be a good idea (incase I want to change to tropical later) as at the mo my bowl is old and scabby, no air pump, filter, light etc. The more I look into it keeping fish is pretty interesting!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.