Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who is running lowering springs on original dampers, how much of a drop have you got how many miles have they done and have you had any problems. also any pics please.[:D]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Hi Rawtor.

Im running -35mm springs on standard shocks. Not sure what miles my shocks have done but they are holding out and ive done 6k on them.

As for ride then they are ok if you are driving on nice smooth roads but anything bumpy then it makes you feel sea sick , as the dampers cant cope you find the front ends always bouncing up and down with no control. Ive only put mine on til i can afford sports shocks. If you can afford it go full whack with dampers [Y]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I did for a while... not good IMO... the uprated springs killed the dampers in no time... handling was borderline dangerous... the nose of the car crashes and dives everywhere on bumpy roads... the stock dampers are just not designed to cope with the hight poundage springs...

·
Registered
579 Posts
i have to agree with the above comments mine was very bouncy when braking hard and the shocks where so far down they where nearly fully compressed.i would save some more money and get a proper kit

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ah, just do it man! I've been running H+R's on standard shocks for about, um, 15k, maybe 20k? Got to say that 95% of that was on the M4 mind! It feels fine but I generally just cruise my car around and have the springs for the looks not the performance benefit. That said, cornering is hugely improved over the standard set up.

I think if you push your car to the limits a lot you would be better off going for dampers but for me its just fine.

And, any excuse to have a couple of gratuitous pics of my car... here's how it looks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
84 Posts
who is running lowering springs on original dampers, how much of a drop have you got how many miles have they done and have you had any problems. also any pics please.[:D]
I have eibach springs on standard shocks and it's fine! 35mm i think looks ok to and get over most speed bumps in abz without scraping!

cheers

stuart

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I did for a while... not good IMO... the uprated springs killed the dampers in no time... handling was borderline dangerous... the nose of the car crashes and dives everywhere on bumpy roads... the stock dampers are just not designed to cope with the hight poundage springs...
Aye, it's really best to fit matched dampers, and this will really highlight how bad the original kit was. I'm addicted to driving my car since fitting decent aftermarket sports suspension, could explain why I'm on my 4th set of tyres in 5 years [:S]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks gadgees. its appreciated . i think for now i will just get springs and if nessesacery i will get shocks at a later date. but not sure i will need too.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I put on my Eibach springs with the standard shocks when the car had done about 25k miles. The ride was pretty good and wasn't that bouncy at all.

By the time I had done 50k the shocks were well and truly goosed and it was bouncing all over the place.

I replaced them with Bilstein B4's and the ride was transformed.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I ran my old Mk 3 Golf on lowered springs but standard shocks and TBH
the ride was a bit harsh. If/when I went down the lowering route
again I'd definitely get both.

·
Registered
874 Posts
H & R 35 drop, original dampers, no probs. yet in nearly 20,000 miles.(Total mileage is 42,000).
Paul, you'll probably get another 10-15k out of yours beofre they are knackered.

You've got a 115TDI too right? Mine went on at 25k and lasted about 30k after that so I'd imagine you'd be similar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts