Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally off the MK5 topic i know, but...

Who is the guy that is on this forum a lot and now has a BMW in his signature pic?

I think its a 3-series, second most recent shape??

I've just got some questions for him as i'm looking into the possibility of a beamer myself.

Cheers

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
330 sport?

Bugger its a big expensive one.

Does anyone know if the 316 / 318 in that shape are any good?

Would the 316 be totally underpowered for such a big car?

I need a car that looks real professional that isnt going to cost me my house or any limbs to buy.

(i'm old and sensible enough not to worry *too* much about insurance costs)

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
330 sport?

Bugger its a big expensive one.

Does anyone know if the 316 / 318 in that shape are any good?

Would the 316 be totally underpowered for such a big car?

I need a car that looks real professional that isnt going to cost me my house or any limbs to buy.

(i'm old and sensible enough not to worry *too* much about insurance costs)

Any other suggestions?
I had a 318Ci E46 shape with a 2.0 ltr 143 BHP valvetronic engine, which was a great car for a 2.0 ltr, very smooth and quiet, looked the part with 18's on,but if I had another it would be a 6 ot.

See picture below, If you need more info email me.

Posted Image

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
no hidden costs provided that you buy a good 'un. I wouldn't go for a 4cyl though. I have an E46 320i sport ( 53 plate with less than 10K on the clock ) and I wouldn't go for that either - the 170bhp is let down by ( IIRC ) 155 lbft of torque so its not so fast.

Go for atleast a 325 if your pennies can run to it...or a 330 diesel

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Did the beamer cost a lot more than the gti to service etc? Tyres?

Are there any additional hidden costs to owning a SHand BMW?
The 318i gets a very bad rep, everyone looks down their noses at it as 'not a proper BMW' and 'should be a 6 cylinder'. Also with 143BHP its not going to be a quick car, weighing as it does about 150KG more than a MKIV. However as derv stated above, he enjoyed it and its still a bloody nice car, just not lightening fast. 318 Coupes are cheap too. Besides you can debadge it

[:p]

There is no 316i Coupe.

My choice based on your criteria though would probably be a 320D Sport (hugely better spec than SE). Rear tyres are a bit pricey as they are 255/45/18, roughly ?145 a pop for F1s/Potenzas, about ?110 each for Falkens. Servicing varies depending on engine, but it needs an oil service every 15k and an inspection service (About ?250 for the minor and ?400 for the major) every 30k. Im finding my 330 cheaper to run than the Bora V6 put it that way; fewer services, similar insurance, better MPG.

Hidden costs? Potential vandalism and / or constant jibes from BMW haters... [:p]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I've never seen a 320D sport, seen plenty of 330's and quite a few 330D's - must be quite rare
BMW make 'Sport' variants of every model, so a 318i Sport, 320D Sport, 325 Sport...all look like a 330D or 330 Sport bar the rear badge and exhaust. Same wheels, same colour options, same bodykit! Some have a very dodgy looking M badge in place of the normal badge, put on by a dealer in the UK somwhere who needs sorting out...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mikedav,

Just out of interest, what is the 'Mark number' of your shape BMW? (is it a mark 4 or something?)

It just helps when i'm looking around showrooms etc.

Also - the shape before yours - are they any good or are they getting too old now?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Mikedav,

Just out of interest, what is the 'Mark number' of your shape BMW? (is it a mark 4 or something?)

It just helps when i'm looking around showrooms etc.

Also - the shape before yours - are they any good or are they getting too old now?

Cheers
Coupes:

E30: 1983-1990
E36: 1990-1996
E46: 1998-2006
E92: 2006+

E36s are still good cars if you pick up a super clean, 100% original 328i Coupe or M3 Coupe, but they are now at an age where they fall into the hands of Chavs (happens to all BMWs sadly) and they get thrashed beyond an inch of their life / run on a shoe string / badly modified / crashed. Finding a clean one is harder and the design is much more dated, but still a lovely car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man, i've got my heart set on a E46. They look excellent.

You mentioned before potential vandalism because its a BMW.

Have you had any hassle?

Its would really cheese me off if anyone did something to my car.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
You mentioned before potential vandalism because its a BMW.

Have you had any hassle?
Yup, it was keyed down the passenger side...long story but I don't think it was just because it was a BMW. You see alot of BMWs/Mercs/Audis/GTIs etc getting keyed, think its a risk with any nice car and not just a BM.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Definitely go for either a 320D or 330D, otherwise the six cylinder engines 325 or 330. The 328 has more than it share of problems

1 - 20 of 21 Posts