Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, im upgrading next month to this setup, just looking for others who allready have this fitted.

Any feedback on peddle feel (compared to standard)?

Any feedback on the noise that people moan about at idle?

Anyone not happy with their Helix clutch and SMF conversion?

Approx what power/torque do you run on your Helix clutch and SMF?

Thanks, Jay [au]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi all, im upgrading next month to this setup, just looking for others who allready have this fitted.

Approx what power/torque do you run on your Helix clutch and SMF?

Thanks, Jay
Check this out >>

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive seen that you tube vid before, its not put me off.

Yes its louder when the clutch peddle is not down but seems the vid is a loud vid anyway!!!!

Take note on how loud the door handle is when he opens the door!!!!!

Also take note that he seems to be in some kind of multi story carpark, also its probablly a proper cold start. I believe that vid is missleading very much.It sounds like a tractor before you even hear the effect of the SMF!!!! .... very very loud recording in a highlly amplified enviroment.

That vid does not put me off, i dissmiss it allmost.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ive seen that you tube vid before, its not put me off.

Yes its louder when the clutch peddle is not down but seems the vid is a loud vid anyway!!!!

Take note on how loud the door handle is when he opens the door!!!!!

Also take note that he seems to be in some kind of multi story carpark, also its probablly a proper cold start. I believe that vid is missleading very much.It sounds like a tractor before you even hear the effect of the SMF!!!! .... very very loud recording in a highlly amplified enviroment.

That vid does not put me off, i dissmiss it allmost.
You're right, the video is quite loud but you can combat this and turn your volume down on you're speakers.

Either way the car sounds like a tractor with the SMF. It appears that you've convinced yourself that a SMF is the way forward. If you're ok with your car sounding like a farm vehicle then just fit it and see what you think.

Personally a change in driving style and a decent map on a DMF is the way forward. Hasn't Bobby's car gor a DMF and that on 300+. I have a friend on a SMF in his passat and he reckons he has to change gear more due to extra shudder in lower gears and he has to give it more revs when pulling away when he has to he'll be going back the DMF. The tranmission was designed with a DMF so why change it? Just stop flooring it in low revs and you won't bugger the flywheel and clutch.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I've heard a few octavia vrs at a meet before with a smf fitted and it sounds just like in the video he did say pedal felt pretty standard he just bought the smf as his dmf went but he was also saying he's on the look out for a dmf again as he didn't feel the smf was justified and the noise was bad as Xone said it will sound like a tractor and there are a number of people pushing very high torque figures on the dmf for some time now without so much a problem.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy on you tube, the volume at 14 seconds where he shuts his door is about the same volume as his SMF noise ...... i mean really how loud is a golf door being closed?

I dont think i would convince myself to fit close to a grands worth of clutch/SMF if it would make my car worse for me.

maybe its just because im used to my race bike which have a dry clutch, exposed on the outside of the bike ..... that guys smf sound is nothing compared to this ... i dare ya lol ..... and no hes not reving it high, hes just warming it up at low revs....

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think 9/10 times a DMF breaks its through aggressive driving styles. If you load up the torque smoothly it should take it.
I am an agressive driver, i dont want smooth gradual torque build up, i want pure voilence and agression ...... which is why the helix and SMF seems the correct choise for me. A bit of rattle seems like a small price to pay to allow me to drive my car how i want and have total peice of mind that my clutch isnt going to fail anytime in the nr future.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The guy on you tube, the volume at 14 seconds where he shuts his door is about the same volume as his SMF noise ...... i mean really how loud is a golf door being closed?

I dont think i would convince myself to fit close to a grands worth of clutch/SMF if it would make my car worse for me.

maybe its just because im used to my race bike which have a dry clutch, exposed on the outside of the bike ..... that guys smf sound is nothing compared to this ... i dare ya lol ..... and no hes not reving it high, hes just warming it up at low revs....

Ok, right, the engine isn't even running on that vid at 14 seconds. skip forward to 42 seconds when he gets out the car to open the bonnet with the engine running. Heres a proper dry clutch sound >>
Anyway, let us know how you get on with your SMF

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes i will post the results when i get it fitted, i will be bedding it in properlly so wont be putting it under massive loads for the first 500 miles or so. I will do a lot of stop start low power town driving that should do the trick.

I will post on peddle feel and noise increase over standard clutch/dmf as soon as its fitted.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Answered. No difference. Then ignored.

Answered - yes it's very loud. Ignored.

Answered - at least two people. Ignored.

Why bother posting a thread in the first place if you have your heart set on it?

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
I think 9/10 times a DMF breaks its through aggressive driving styles. If you load up the torque smoothly it should take it.
I am an agressive driver, i dont want smooth gradual torque build up, i want pure voilence and agression ...... which is why the helix and SMF seems the correct choise for me. A bit of rattle seems like a small price to pay to allow me to drive my car how i want and have total peice of mind that my clutch isnt going to fail anytime in the nr future.
Wonder how long before your aggressive driving wrecks the gearbox[snack]

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Why bother posting a thread in the first place if you have your heart set on it?
Very clever.......... pal ..... i noticed you missed the first line of my post out during your copy/paste rant ....... "Hi all, im upgrading next month to this setup, just looking for OTHERS WHO ALLREADY HAVE THIS FITTED."

I not only made it clear i was looking for feedback from people who have that setup, i ALSO in the first line of my post said i AM upgrading to it!!!

Is it not wise for me to ask for feedback from people who have what i plan to get? I have at least 4 week or so before i get it fitted so this is the wise thing to do ...... ask people for feedback who know better by their own personal experience.

And i dont have my heart set on it, i have my head set on it ... and im currentlly looking to change that choise if the right people come along and tell me different (those who have a helix clutch and SMF!!!!!!!!).

so during your copy and paste of my original post why did you leave out the 1st line and a VERY relevant part at that? Infact you dont need to answer it, i allready know why ..... well done congratulations on a great post.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wonser how long before your aggressive driving wrecks the gearbox
Lol yes thats something ive had on my mind a lot too that the SMF
puts more stress on gearbox. There is the chance that using a DMF could
lead to destruction also though simply because im more likelly to
destroy a DMF specially if i end up going for big power hybrid, i heard
if your DMF fully destructs when in action it can also destroy the
gearbox. i cant work out which 1 is the most likelly to happen!! Im
considering all possibilities options and most likelly scenarios.

I
think i cant really do anything about the gearbox, if it goes it goes. I
wonder if the quaife diff will make the gearbox last longer/less/the
same ... i have no idea.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
peace, love and unity.... It's only a forum.

Once you've had it fitted do a youtube vid of how it sounds. That way we'll all have a decent insight of how it sounds and performs.
I will do that no problem, i will make sure i do it in open space on the side of the street.

As for how it performs, well hopefully all you guys on this forum do some track days, we can do some direct comparisons then [:D]

·
Registered
247 Posts

Very clever.......... pal ..... i noticed you missed the first line of my post out during your copy/paste rant ....... "Hi all, im upgrading next month to this setup, just looking for OTHERS WHO ALLREADY HAVE THIS FITTED."

I not only made it clear i was looking for feedback from people who have that setup, i ALSO in the first line of my post said i AM upgrading to it!!!

Is it not wise for me to ask for feedback from people who have what i plan to get? I have at least 4 week or so before i get it fitted so this is the wise thing to do ...... ask people for feedback who know better by their own personal experience.

And i dont have my heart set on it, i have my head set on it ... and im currentlly looking to change that choise if the right people come along and tell me different (those who have a helix clutch and SMF!!!!!!!!).

so during your copy and paste of my original post why did you leave out the 1st line and a VERY relevant part at that? Infact you dont need to answer it, i allready know why ..... well done congratulations on a great post.
it made the message messy, i didn't fancy going through the effort of quoting your post either - the same completely applies however you have just chosen to ignore advice despite having just asked for it in the first place - why even bother with the thread?

don't take it as a personal affront, i'm just saying that from what you've posted you seem as if you have your heart set on it (it's a turn of phrase btw, not literal) - the fact you're arguing so vehemently against me is a good indicator that you are a person who isn't afraid to show emotion. you seem to also be completely disregarding what people are telling you, saying how despite never having seen one in person that you can tell (from a youtube video) that the clutch won't be loud/suitable for your needs despite other members telling you how they know people in the same situation as you who found the benefits of SMF did not outweigh costs.

as others have said before, go ahead and post up results. it's not my money, nor my car, but buying something and then asking how well it works is completely ridiculous don't you think? you're going to have it whether it's good or bad. on the other-hand, it seems you've contradicted yourself enough times to confuse everyone, have you already bought it? or are you planning on buying it? if you're planning on buying it, then this thread is an ace idea - but as you said yourself: 'I not only made it clear i was looking for feedback from people who have that setup, i ALSO in the first line of my post said i AM upgrading to it!!!' and if you've already bought it then this thread is unnecessary.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts