Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I see less and less of the mk4 Golf on the roads, when I see one now I get excited! Strange! I also can't justify buying a new car. I look after mine and everything works and has done for the past few years - looking after your own car really gives me great pleasure. While all the neighbours are keeping up with the Jones I'm just loving and appreciating what I have, what more could one want? I mean look at my example, my car shown here. Just taken a picture this morning after washing it on a summer evening in June 2019. The cars stock standard too, anyone else into this? Thanks to all you guys who have helped me over the years also. Feel free to share your great experiences and/or post pictures of yours...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
55b6269c6aaa408c0f679516f28788b5.jpg

b4fec81b6b04256ffc53663bc4907e6c.jpg

·
Registered
720 Posts
I Love my Mk4's for different reasons..

My PD130 daily duties, i give this thing a hard life, country lanes every day driven hard, its on a stage one map and about 245,000 miles... i purchased it 2 years ago and it just keeps going for pennies.. in 2 years ive thrown almost no money at it.

My AUQ's i enjoy repairing them and making them better, one is in great condition that me and the family can go out in, and the other is my road trip car which will be hitting the Swiss Alps then the ring in September (once ive put the engine back in)

The PD150 my wife uses daily, its been written off 3 times and still keeps trucking with 208,000 miles, shes uses it for work and is almost faultlessly reliable considering how mechanically unsympathetic she is with it.

·
"I'm not modding this one"
1,735 Posts
That's a very nice example mate, looks really well looked after. I've also noticed there isn't as many on the road as there used to be, maybe the latest scrap-age scheme removed a lot from the roads.

I'm on my second mk4 now (first being a TDI that I ruined) and I love them, they're new enough to be nice and pleasant to drive, but old enough to still be able to work on it by yourself with a basic tool kit. The noise the 2.3 V5 makes is really nice as well.#

This is how mine looks now...

46646382505_555a79aa08_k.jpgLRM_EXPORT_133650672400952_20190407_181026542 by Adam Jones, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
I'm still enjoying it a year after selling it.The money I got from selling it means I get to go on better holidays than when I still had it :D .

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I still have my R32 . Had it since new June 2003. Just about 130,000miles on it now. It's still great fun to drive and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Deffo don't see MK4 golfs anymore. The odd silver TDI on the motorway now and again, and surprisingly a lot of 1.6 driven around by boy racers . Thought all the 1.6s died from split gearboxes by now

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I still have my R32 . Had it since new June 2003. Just about 130,000miles on it now. It's still great fun to drive and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Deffo don't see MK4 golfs anymore. The odd silver TDI on the motorway now and again, and surprisingly a lot of 1.6 driven around by boy racers . Thought all the 1.6s died from split gearboxes by now
I have 1.6 works fine at 290000km. Why should my gearbox split? Is that something I should keep an eye on?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That black Golf OP owns is an absolute beaut. I agree that there seem to be much fewer MK4s about. My 1.8T 150 is starting to show its age. A few spots of rippled paint work just above the doors, rear wiper has not worked for about half a decade, the drivers seat has a few rips and the gear gaiter is wafer thin. I do fancy something slightly newer (a luxobarge GS300 or a W211 E class) but given I cover so few miles it cannot be justified, and no doubt they would cost more to run. However the main reason I want to keep the car running is because when it gets replaced, I want to retire it on the drive and one day in the future get it restored to as new condition. However her indoors isnt very keen on that idea, so trying to delay that as long as possible.

At what point does it become acceptable to acknowledge other Mk4 owners? if at all?

Edit, when was the last time anybody saw a MK3? The forum seem to have ceased activity.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
We see easily half a dozen a day if we go out, sometimes more. Not always the same ones either..

There's a few mk3's locally too..

As for acknowledging.. Not something I'd do.. Too many 'erberts driving them..

93/93

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
That black Golf OP owns is an absolute beaut. I agree that there seem to be much fewer MK4s about. My 1.8T 150 is starting to show its age. A few spots of rippled paint work just above the doors, rear wiper has not worked for about half a decade, the drivers seat has a few rips and the gear gaiter is wafer thin. I do fancy something slightly newer (a luxobarge GS300 or a W211 E class) but given I cover so few miles it cannot be justified, and no doubt they would cost more to run. However the main reason I want to keep the car running is because when it gets replaced, I want to retire it on the drive and one day in the future get it restored to as new condition. However her indoors isnt very keen on that idea, so trying to delay that as long as possible.

At what point does it become acceptable to acknowledge other Mk4 owners? if at all?

Edit, when was the last time anybody saw a MK3? The forum seem to have ceased activity.
Whenever I'm out in the R32 I refuse to acknowledge boy racers revving their 1.6 chavved up golfs. It's sad.

And it's always somewhere in a town centre too.
On the country lanes you wouldn't see which way I went.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts