Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I have decided to finally upgrade my suspension! The first thing I want to do is fit a rear ARB and after some research on here, the Whiteline one appears to be very good. The question is, what is better for the everyday driver who occasionally has a bit of a blast and is generally a bit on the "spirited" side of driving? The adjustable or non adjustable version? I notice too that Balance motorsport guys seem to loiter around here. Do they do a forum discount?

Thanks!

Sean

·
Registered
359 Posts
You've probably read my posts raving about the Whiteline ARB. It's made the car so much more drivable. I wouldn't even consider the non-adjustable version. With the adjustable bar you have a choice or 4 stiffness settings to get it just how you want the car to handle, with the non-adjustable one you're basically stuck on the medium setting (which probably works fine but may not be optimal for your car/personal taste). Balance don't do forum discounts any more but they do have a referral scheme so do drop me a PM before you order!

Henry

·
Registered
405 Posts
You've probably read my posts raving about the Whiteline ARB. It's made the car so much more drivable. I wouldn't even consider the non-adjustable version. With the adjustable bar you have a choice or 4 stiffness settings to get it just how you want the car to handle, with the non-adjustable one you're basically stuck on the medium setting (which probably works fine but may not be optimal for your car/personal taste). Balance don't do forum discounts any more but they do have a referral scheme so do drop me a PM before you order!

Henry
Ive had one of these sitting in my garage for about a year now. Should get it fitted soon along with some R32 suspension. What setting do you have yours on?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mine is on medium-soft i.e. hole no. 2 out of 4 (4 being the stiffest).  Seems about right with my current tyres (Kumho Ecsta Spt fronts, Goodyear Excellence rears), I get loads of front end grip with virtually no understeer with standard suspension.  On a wet roundabout last night I managed to deliberately induce mild oversteer by lifting off the throttle mid corner at speed.  So I reckon soft or medium-soft is great for this time of the year, any stiffer may make the car too tail happy in the wet.  It really depends on your tyres though, particularly the relative grip levels of front vs back.  If for example your rear tyres are grippier than the fronts you may be ok with a stiffer setting without having to worry about losing the tail.  I'm going to leave it on hole 2 till the summer and then may be I'll try position 3 (medium-hard).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can anyone advise me on these? are they better than the eibach kits? What about the price for these? Where can i get 1 from?

sorry about all the questions, im new to looking at ARB's

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Less than ?140 delivered from Balance motorsport. Whether they are better or not is personal preference but then anything you put on will be a 100x improvement on the nothing you currently have and at half the price I think it's a bargain!

·
Registered
62 Posts
excuse that last comment, coz the eibach front arb is a tenner cheaper, but for the eibach kit, its only an extra 120 on top for the rear aswell as the front?

Sorry if i sound stupid, im just tryin to find out the best thing to go for!

·
Registered
359 Posts
excuse that last comment, coz the eibach front arb is a tenner cheaper, but for the eibach kit, its only an extra 120 on top for the rear aswell as the front?

Sorry if i sound stupid, im just tryin to find out the best thing to go for!
The mkIV already has a substantial 21 or 23mm front ARB, it's the addition of a rear ARB that it badly needs to reduce understeer. Some would say the Eibach kit is better because it's pre-tuned to give the correct balance (in an unmodded car running standard suspension, wheels & tyres), but to me it's disadvantaged because it's non-adjustable and therefore you can't tune it to suit your particular car or personal taste. For example the Eibach kit may still leave too much understeer in your car, and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it except to make changes to the tyres, springs, etc. With an adjustable rear ARB, I can change the stiffness setting in minutes to dial out understeer (or oversteer).

However, if your car is lowered by more than 40mm then you do need the front ARB to avoid rubbing. In that case I would still suggest getting an adjustable rear bar.

BTW all the above info can be found by doing a search of previous posts. Nothing original in what I just said.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you, that answered my question completely. Ive been doing searches but there is so many results its hard to find the ones that specifically answer my questions so thought id just ask. Well you have made mymind up for me, i was gonna buy the eibach kit, but now im just gonna buy the front, as im about to order my coilovers, so need a new front so thought i would get rear at the same time! But now after your advice im gonna get the front and then get the adj rear.

Thanks again, much appreaciate it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been told by a reputable company (one you have all heard of and many have used) that only putting a rear ARB on a golf will make the car somewhat dangerous if you are an inexperienced driver. the understear is there for a reason i was told as a safety margin. I dread the thought of the back stepping out on a sweeping bend and me not having the skill / power in my 1.6 to catch it. is this an irrational fear?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
youve got me worried now.. cos im about to get one... im assuming itll be like spinning out a beema, rear wheel drive and all... oversteer rather than under?

anyone else contribute..im sure it wont be that bad, in fact it will balance rather than actually create oversteer?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have been told by a reputable company (one you have all heard of and many have used) that only putting a rear ARB on a golf will make the car somewhat dangerous if you are an inexperienced driver. the understear is there for a reason i was told as a safety margin. I dread the thought of the back stepping out on a sweeping bend and me not having the skill / power in my 1.6 to catch it. is this an irrational fear?
At the end of the day it's all about balance. With the standard setup the front end is stiffer than the back and it understeers (too early and too much). Stiffening the back with a rear ARB will reduce/eliminate that unwanted understeer. There comes a point when you stiffen it too much and cause oversteer. That's why I think one of these adjustable rear ARBs is great. You can set it on soft and it will reduce understeer a bit/a lot without causing oversteer provided you have decentish rear tyres. If you're braver then you can set it on hard or most likely somewhere in between for optimal balance. If you're worried then don't get a fat bar like a 28mm, instead opt for a 22 or 25mm adjustable. With my 22mm Whiteline bar I've been hurling the car into wet roundabouts at previously unthinkable speeds without loss of grip at either end until I REALLY push it but that's just plain silly on my behalf!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
im thinking of getting the whiteline one too, 1 cos its quite a bit cheaper than the rest, problem is, not many people have em..

does yours show from the back (highly visible like other brands?)

i think ill go for a 22-25 mm.. but now...its just choosing which one !

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Steve,
Remember what i was saying the other day about when driving round bends and sharp corners.
What i was trying to explain is that the car will feel normalish when driving normally, but throw it into a bend and the rear just grips.
the quicker you turn in the more grip you get from the rear.When you get used to it you can feed in the amount of roll/grip you want by how
agressively/sedately you steer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts