Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just ordered an adjustable one from?Julian?at?Balance?Motorsport who was very helpful over the phone. ?Price is ?128 delivered (direct from Whiteline).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Had mine from balance, yes, Julian is very helpful![Y]
Hi there. What setting is yours on and did you fit it yourself? Julian suggested I start with the softest setting to get used to the change and then go stiffer if the car still understeers. Sounds like good advice.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
anyone got a pic of how it adjusts? is it the droplinks that you adjust? also do they do a rear ARB and how much or would i have to get a neurspeed ect? but there a bit pricey....

one other thing. do they come with new droplinks and bushes or would i just get some new genuine ones.?

·
Registered
359 Posts
anyone got a pic of how it adjusts? is it the droplinks that you adjust? also do they do a rear ARB and how much or would i have to get a neurspeed ect? but there a bit pricey....

one other thing. do they come with new droplinks and bushes or would i just get some new genuine ones.?
The rear ARB is what I was talking about, yours for ?128 delivered which seems very good value to me compared with the Neuspeed ones.

See here for fitting instructions and what the kit comes with:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/instructs/Z337_BWR15.pdf

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
oh ok mate thats cool.good price too.

so do they do a front bar then and how much? does that adjust and does that come with droplinks or is that a seperate part to buy?

gray

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
so on the frond AND back it just adjusts by choosing one of the three holes soft ,medium,hard. how much does this affect how bumpy the ride is and surly it would be best to be on hard?whats the downside? cant belive my years of being with this golf iv never seen these i must have missed them.

cheers mate.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Unlike springs and dampers, anti-roll bars do not affect the ride quality at all. ?From all the reading I've done, the general consensus is that the mk4 would benefit most from an after market rear ARB while keeping the front one standard. ?It's all about balance, in stock form the mk4's front end is stiffer than the back andit understeers badly. ?Adding a rear ARB (even on softest setting) stiffens the back end and reduces understeer and body roll. ?You don't want to make it too stiff though as you can easily push it the other way i.e. oversteer,?losing?the?back?end?and?going?sideways?in?a?roundabout! ? I'll probably end up using the soft setting in the winter and medium in the summer, or may be just leave it on soft all year round. ?There's LOADS of info on this topic if you do a search.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Copy and pasted from the Balance Motorsport website:

"Uprated anti-roll bars are one of the most effective ways of improving handling of a car. The majority of cars produced today have some form of anti-roll bar. The biggest advantage of the anti-roll bar is that you can limit roll in corners whilst still retaining suspension travel and a good ride. Uprating the anti-roll bar for a larger one increases the roll stiffness at that end of the car (Eibach kits contain front and rear bars). If the roll stiffness is increased so is the weight transfer. Although strictly speaking uprating the bar at one end reduces grip at that end the benefits in better geometry often mean grip is increased as well. For instance in a front wheel drive car you would benefit most from a rear anti-roll bar (makes the rear of the car work more and prevents understeer). If you bought front and rear you would tend to run the front soft and the back hard. In a rear wheel drive car you'd tend to uprate the front bar more than the back as you can steer with the throttle. Four wheel drive vary between these two depending on a number of factors including torque split.

Not all cars are the same though and therefore if you want a complete kit buy the Eibach ones as they have spent a lot of time and effort developing the parts to work together. The Whiteline bars which are available separately give you more freedom of choice depending on what you need from your car. That said you may find only one option is available because unfortunately the ranges are more limited than springs for instance.

Another big plus of the anti-roll bar is they are often easily adjustable. You may have spent a lot of time and effort setting up coilovers to ensure the best weight distribution, you then find for instance the front end is understeering on a tight circuit you?ve not visited before. It is much easier to adjust an anti-roll bar than the suspension stiffness."

Can't wait to get mine, hopefully this week!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
ok cheers for that mate. so what do most people have theres on soft or medium think ill put mine on medium all year..gona uprate the front too and mines dont 80K and sure i will gain from a nice new one. might put the from on soft and back on medium or would it be best to be even all round?

gray

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yes, mine is on the sofest at the moment and until the weather gets better, I will have a play then

Can only find one pic and not very clear at that, it was fitted at Midland VW when they did my coilovers

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
wow that arb sits low. does it catch at all when got the car really low?

also as i said above if i had these front and back would it be best to have the rear stiffer than the front as the back needs it more or would they be best even all round....

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
To be honest, the weather has not been the best lately to experiment with it.

Also due to having the coilovers fitted the handling improved so much anyway, the back end does feel very stable and it is still on the softest setting

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
sound good mate :) what coilovers are they anyway?

i cant decide if it would be better to have the same setting all round or have the back stiffer...hhuummmm

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Jamex, was a bit unsure when I took the plunge, as they are a lot cheaper than most makes.

The ride is superb and the build quality is exceptional

From the research I did on arbs the its a case of put it on and experiment until you are happy[:D]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts