Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 plate VW GOLF S TDI (ALH) 90BHP. I have just finished installing a new turbo in it as the old one was gone. Now everything is put back in and I thought Id take the car on a small test drive. After 1 to 2 mins the car starts to let out alot of white looking smoke from the exhaust. I came back home and checked the oil and water, everything seems to be fine. The car also seems to be pulling as it should. Could this smoke just be the oil that has leaked into th exhaust from the old turbo??? I have replaced the oil feed pipe for a braided one. The only dodgy thing I can hear is a whining sound which I think is the release bearing?? Please can anyone correct me if im wrong and what the best action to take to sort this out. Thanks,

Ozy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When was the oil last changed, does the white smoke smell of oil?!<o:p></o:p>

I had this recently on my 1.8t thought it was the Turbo oil seals....after an oil change and replacing a knackered breather hose it has been fine?!<o:p></o:p>

Was the Turbo new or 2nd hand from a good source?<o:p></o:p>

·
Livin&#39; by the sword
5,180 Posts
If your old turbo crapped itself (as I think it did) and dumped oil into the exhaust then the cat and suchlike will be soaked in oil. It won't show when cold, but as the exhaust gasses build up heat the oil will burn off as you can see it doing now. You can either run it to burn off the rest, take the exhaust off and clean as much as possible and then burn the rest, or replace the whole lot.

Did you remove the intercooler and pipework to clean any oil out of that? There's a chance that could be full of oil too and it's burning through the engine. If that is the case, then remove the intercooler and clean it out. Don't run the oil through the engine as if you get a slug of oil into the piston bores then you'll bend a couple of conrods (hydrolocking, google it if you don't know). Oil doesn't compress see, and the pistons will be hitting a solid block of oil if it happens. Very bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts