Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and found loads of threads on this already but can't find the answer that I'm looking for.

I've replaced all of my bulbs with this white 'xenon effect' set of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72235&item=260041911896

The dipped and main beam bulbs are perfect giving off a nice bright white light, but the side light bulbs are too blue for my liking even though the packet thet they came in said extreme white. So I tried a set from halfords cause the bulbs looked alot less blue than the ones from ebay, even though they were sold as 'laser blue' bulbs. I was right they're not blue at all, but they're more yellow similar to the original bulbs, and don't match the main bulbs either!

So baically my question is has anyone found a direct replacement sidelight bulb (not leds) that will give off a white light?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help deadlock, i'm only staying away from leds cause I like to keep things legal even though I know there's not much cahance of getting pulled for having led lights, i don't want any added confussion come mot time. The first set of bulbs I tried were from autobulbsdirect, they're the ones that said they were exteme white but were much bluer than the main bulbs! Thanks again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Steve - Welcome to the forum!

I have the Phillips side lights and chromed indicators. Indies are good - look really well but the sidelights.....quite disappointing! I have the Osram SilverStars (from Powerbulbs...excellent guys and good value!) and they're nice a white and the sidelights let them down to be honest.

They're not cr4p - far from it but NOT white light at all. Would you like a piccie of the lights on?

Cheers

Michael

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Has anyone tried these phillips blue vision bulbs? http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16340&cat=597&page=1

Now that I've tried one set that were described as blue and they're not blue at all, I'm wondering if these will give off the white light that I'm after cause the bulbs don't look like theey're heavily tinted blue?
Fitted these to

my sister's new shape micra, and they looked nice and ****** blue

GF's lupo, and they looked ****** bluey

fitted to my previous Golf, and they looked ******, but not so blue.

They certainly won't look heavily tinted blue in anyway on a Golf (for some reason the reflector makes them look more white, but not that horrible yellow).

they are ok, and most of the time u can get these bulbs FREE when u buy matching H7 or H1 headlight bulbs at the same time..

try www.powerbulbs.com

they always give a free set away with h7's

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're not cr4p - far from it but NOT white light at all. Would you like a piccie of the lights on?

Cheers

Michael
A picture would be great, when you say they're not white, are they blue like they're name sugests or are they more yellow? maybee I'll get a pic up of mine with the ones I bought from halfords so that people can see what I mean. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Quite like the ones i've seen on shuiming's car - at least I think they are on his car!!!
yeah the ones on his car look really good, but i think they're leds and i think they were quite expensive too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the pictures michael, they help and I think I might try the phillips bulbs.

tried taking photos of mine as they are at the moment and i can't get a photo that shows they're true light. depending on whether the flash is on or not they look blue in one photo then white or yellow in the next!

·
Registered
273 Posts
No probs! I took the photos without flash - with flash they're not realistic at the distance I was taking them.

Powerbulbs through mine in for free ( as suggested) and I changed ALL the headlight bulbs at the same time when I took the bumper off. Got the bulbs at a car show for £45 all in (sidelights, mains, indies, fogs etc...) but I think it's still cheap from the website.

My experiences of Halfords bulbs have not been great and I've never seen a good set of cheap bulbs!

Cheers

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm in need of new bulbs too.....but how much hassle is it to change them over.

I recently changed my indies over for silver ones and there wasn't much room to move.

Are you best of removing the front bumper? Or is it possible with it on?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wilkie - Bumper off is SO much easier!

Sounds like a big job but it's really not. Will take 15mins tops to remove bumper and 5 mins to put back on...

Good guide I used (and millions others have too!)

http://home.nycap.rr.com/brandonc/headlight/

Headlights are then held in with a few torx screws. Pop the lights out and other than the sidelights being STUPID tight in their sockets it's an easy job!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi Steve

I have recently changed the OEM bulbs in my Bora for Osram Silverstars. Powerbulbs also through in some Phillips Blue Vision sidelight bulbs for free.

Overall, the Phillips bulbs are a definite improvment over the OEM bulbs. I posted a couple of pics here to compare the Phillips bulbs with the OEM variety.

As an aside, I did manage to change the bulbs without taking the bumper off. Taking the advice from the other guys, it's probably easier removing the bumper first !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like bora boy I recently changed all of my front bulbs. Main beam and fog lights to Philips Blue Vision, (with free Blue Vision side light bulbs), Full beam to Philips Vision Plus and indicators to silvered bulbs. I like the subtle change to a more white light but am probably most pleased with the silvered indicator bulbs. Total cost of the bulbs was ?70.00 and I'm not sure it was really worth it except for vanity purposes!

I managed to change the lot with the headlights in place but there was a fair bit of skin scrapeage in the process! With the newly gained knowledge about the front bumper, I think I would also take the bumper off next time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just changed my sidelights from Philips Blue Vision to Polarg M4 bulbs, found on ebay for about ?6 including postage from Malaysia, very quick delivery. Fitted them to my Mk5, havent had a chance to take any pics yet but took these pics from www.golfmkv.com. The bulbs give out a very white light, much like Xenon. You wont be disappointed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 21 Posts