Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a free set of clock's the other day, so decided to do some experimenting with them.

I couldn't find anyone on the internet who has actually changed changed the colour of their clocks, doesn't mean to say that no one else has done it, but was quite surprised that no one else appeared to have tried it.

Anyways, this is an example of a white cluster, but I guess any colour could be done.

Not sure what I think about it yesterday, what do you all think?

Obviously the clocks werent in the best condition with the plastic being very scratched.

Opinions?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Yeah your right they do look a tad bright, think it could be the camera, but can always be turned down at the side I guess!

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
Good work and well done for trying something different,but I don't really like it as for me the normal blue backlight gave it some character,this just looks bland to me now.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comment, yes I do know what your saying, I think it's the blue on the standard clocks that seems to be bland to me now, I'm think that when my R clock's arrive that they will look better. Just thought it was something different and was willing to experiment since they were free!

·
Registered
465 Posts
If its matching throughout the car i think it can be pulled off. You may start a new trend lol how hard was it change the lights arent they soldered on

·
uk-mkivs
1,572 Posts
Good on you for giving it a go
, it has already been done by a member on here though (I think it was Aham UK but could be wrong).

I cant find the thread at the minute but will post it later, from memory OEM leds are 130mcd but these are not easily available to buy, he used 224mcd leds purchased from rs-online.

I'm in the process of modding a passat sport cluster to work in a mk4 & plan on swapping the leds to white in that also.

·
uk-mkivs
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No way, don't know why I couldn't find them before, perhaps wasn't searching for the right terms! Anyways, yeah love the look of it in the R clocks!

Vauxhall Corsa?

·
SMUJ
5,139 Posts
Mine are full FiS, I've used Passat Rev counter foils (no R32 logo), R32 MPH foils (180mph) Skoda (white) pointers ( I have modded ones with brushed TT centres also, but un-fitted), MK1 Audi TT brushed pins. All the SMDs have been changed for brighter ones, changed these twice as the first time it was done we used ones that were too bright. Both the blue back lite sections have been changed to red to match the centre one. All finished off with Anni rings. Pics on my B4D VW build thread in my sig...

·
uk-mkivs
1,572 Posts
[quote user="B4DVW"]

Mine are full FiS, I've used Passat Rev counter foils (no R32 logo), R32 MPH foils (180mph) Skoda (white) pointers ( I have modded ones with brushed TT centres also, but un-fitted), MK1 Audi TT brushed pins. All the SMDs have been changed for brighter ones, changed these twice as the first time it was done we used ones that were too bright. Both the blue back lite sections have been changed to red to match the centre one. All finished off with Anni rings. Pics on my B4D VW build thread in my sig...

[/quote]

Damn you Smuj, I just had to read all 40 pages of your build thread!

Cluster looks really good, what ever happened to the hybrid golf/passat cluster case?

I'm in 2 minds on doing the case mod myself or just black out the rings on the foils.

·
SMUJ
5,139 Posts
[quote user="Keyser-Soze"]

[quote user="B4DVW"]

[/quote]

Cluster looks really good, what ever happened to the hybrid golf/passat cluster case?

I'm in 2 minds on doing the case mod myself or just black out the rings on the foils.

[/quote]Cheers, Ray(aRd) coded then to my car whilst I was working in the clocks so I could still start it in case I needed to move it. If you want then and I can dig them out let me know, but they are stripped it. I have rings and some R32 foils somewhere too I think.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote user="B4DVW"]

[/quote]

That looks very good, no idea why I couldn't find your work before. A lot of time has went into those!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote user="B4DVW"]

[quote user="Keyser-Soze"]

[quote user="B4DVW"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Cheers, Ray(aRd) coded then to my car whilst I was working in the clocks so I could still start it in case I needed to move it. If you want then and I can dig them out let me know, but they are stripped it. I have rings and some R32 foils somewhere too I think.

[/quote]

So what do you have and what's for sale?

·
SMUJ
5,139 Posts
Thanks for going on the build thread guys, please feel free to leave a comment, helps bump it up...

And lol Keyser

I'll have to have a look at what I have bud, I don't keep much nowadays tbh, but PM me so the mods don't drop on us like bombs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.