Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Hoping one of you people can help me shed some light on an issue I am having with my PD150 I was having issue with the coolant needing to be topped up every 4-5 days sometimes it would be fine for a week. Had a coolant flush done yesterday, but upon starting my car this morning it pops up stating STOP CHECK COOLANT. I pop the bonnet and see that the headertank is empty again but has lots of white froth, no signs of any oily resisdue though. Checked the oil cap no mayo there, no moisture coming through the exhaust either. I am thinking it is the headgasket but i cannot understand why it's only showing white froth/bubbles like washing up liquid except the oilly glimmer.

I am hoping it is not the headgasket considering it had it done from the previous owner about a year ago now. I did notice what seemed to be a lot of copper grease in the expansion tank also? possible from when the head was done? but why use copper grease its an abbrasive? I have had my dad take a look over the car who has been in the motor trade for a long time but he has never seen the issue which I am having. Thermostate is working as the water is circulating as checked all pipes.

All help greatful. If it is the headgasket and the head has been done previously would it be better to get a replacement head instead of skimming the same one again?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump
Pretty sure now it h/s as gone through 1.5ltrs of water on 2 small journeys :( looks like a big bill at the garage coming soon. Got dual mass to replace also :(

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
it does sound like the head gasket, if it is, ide just get a new/replacement head. tdi engines dont like the compresion ratios being altered. even after fitting a thicker gasket it might not be right.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
it does sound like the head gasket, if it is, ide just get a new/replacement head. tdi engines dont like the compresion ratios being altered. even after fitting a thicker gasket it might not be right.
Why would you fit a thicker gasket? Just replace the head gasket and carry on as normal, no need for a new head even.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
ALWAYS crack test the head when it's off for a suspected blown head gasket. It's a few tenners to do, but it's better than wasting all that money and work just replacing the gasket.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Why would you fit a thicker gasket? Just replace the head gasket and carry on as normal, no need for a new head even.
sorry, in my head i was thinking of the compression being altered if he skimmed his current head, it didnt quite make it into the post tho, very tired.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it booked in now with PSI Tuning in Stoke so fingers crossed by next sat all will be fine again, and i will be a large amount of cash lighter :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts