Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Good idea I'll definitely give that a go. I've noticed since fitting the second hand turbo there is slight whistling sound that comes from the turbo when you initially start to accelerate, once it gets going it disappears and there isn't any loss of power. I just wondered if this is normal or something i should look in to further? The only difference with this turbo is that it was broken from an estate and mines a hatchback but i checked with the buyer beforehand and the engine codes were the same. He didn't have the car mapped or anything. I'm not expert on turbos but i did check the turbo shaft on both sides and there was no shaft play and the VNT lever was moving nice and freely too.

I know you always take a risk when buying used turbos but couldn't afford a brand new one so second hand was the only option i just hope it's gonna last and this is not the start of something more serious.
Should be alright if there was no play. Might be an air leak somewhere causing the whistling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Does anyone know the best way to remove a rounded off bolt head? I am trying to split apart my old turbo just curious to see the damage inside but one of the bolts for the exhaust housing is really hard to remove. I've used penetrating oil to try and loosen it up and even cleaned it up first with some degreaser as there was loads of grime build up on it. It's now gotten pretty bad i can't even turn it with an adjustable spanner or vice grips. Any ideas what to do please? I suppose i could use a blow torch to heat it up but i haven't got one at the moment.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Something like these should do it, if there's room for it: Bolt Grip Fastener Remover Base Set of 5 : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Hammer the right one on, then undo as normal.
These look like they could work i just wonder if they will fit a 10mm and 8mm bolt as the 8mm bolt on the intake housing has also rounded off now. The ones on amazon are good because you can remove the bolts using a ratchet, spanner or even vice grips which is great when there's not much space to get a ratchet on the end.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
These look like they could work i just wonder if they will fit a 10mm and 8mm bolt as the 8mm bolt on the intake housing has also rounded off now. The ones on amazon are good because you can remove the bolts using a ratchet, spanner or even vice grips which is great when there's not much space to get a ratchet on the end.

This one has a few more sizes, the 5/16 inch one is closest to 8mm and should do the job.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts