Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys seem to know your stuff on watches.

I will be buying a new one, narrowed it down to TAG or Omega. But which? TAG seem to be somewhat cheaper. Is there a reason for this?

Budget is about 1.5k but don't mean I have to actually spend that!!

Is there a big difference between the 2 makes? Any particular watch I should be looking out for?

I think I prefer the looks of the TAG's if I'm honest, seem a bit more chunky.

·
Registered
555 Posts
ive had a few tags,i got a couple of the f1s

but my brother inlaw has got the omegas,the sea masters are very nice,so jealous

id say if you budjet to omega get them[:D]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I know nothing about watches but my brother use to have a Tag, was very sexy and was bomb proof (it actually said something along those lines in the instruction booklet) Was ?500 which i thought was way expensive for a watch [:|]

But i know what you mean, Tags have something about them that stands out...and its not the price

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought an Omega, less common than TAG, less 'blingy' than Breitling or Rolex (and to be fair closer to my price bracket). I went for a Seamaster Chronograph Chronometer, lovely watch, highly recommended. 300m automatic (if you're going to buy a swiss watch don't buy quartz) chronograph, only gains a second a day, & looks good.

Hell, if they're good enough for Bond.......

DT

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have a look on this website http://www.replicahause.com/ the quality is so good even one of the guys at work who has several Omega, Rolex watches could not tell the difference. A friend of mine had an original Rolex and one from this site, we weighed them they were exactly the same, the quality looked the same the movement of the hand looked the same, and at a fraction of the price. There are some high res image on there to give you some example of the quality.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ive just bought an Omega Seamaster Chronometer and its a fantastic watch.

The highstreet price is 1200 but if you ask you will usually get 15% off that (well I did in the two shops I asked in)

Ive had a Tag before and it was a nice watch but I just feel the Omega is in a different class.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have a look on this website http://www.replicahause.com/ the quality is so good even one of the guys at work who has several Omega, Rolex watches could not tell the difference. A friend of mine had an original Rolex and one from this site, we weighed them they were exactly the same, the quality looked the same the movement of the hand looked the same, and at a fraction of the price. There are some high res image on there to give you some example of the quality.
Replicas are ok if all you want is to show off to your mates but you will always know its fake. but also the idea of buying an expensive swiss watch is that it will last a lifetime and is a true piece if craftman ship.

Amd those fakes are not exactly cheap you might as well save up for a bit longer and get the real thing.

·
Registered
808 Posts
You guys seem to know your stuff on watches.

I will be buying a new one, narrowed it down to TAG or Omega. But which? TAG seem to be somewhat cheaper. Is there a reason for this?

Budget is about 1.5k but don't mean I have to actually spend that!!

Is there a big difference between the 2 makes? Any particular watch I should be looking out for?

I think I prefer the looks of the TAG's if I'm honest, seem a bit more chunky.
Im surprise your so easily swayed buy brand names, even though you drive an R32 ;o)

I would personally go for either a Breitling or a tissot in that order, if you go for a Tag its because of the brand name if you go for the Omega its because you think your 007.

Pick what you want, but for your reasons not for others! Tag, Omega, etc etc

If it was down to those tw it would have to be Omega, Im just disapointed 007 made more ppl buy them as they are good on thier own credentials.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deffo want it Tag or Omega. Deffo want it genuine.

Seems theres no real 'definately go for Omega or TAG as yet. TAG is pulling me because of the way the watch actually looks. Won't be rushing out to buy though.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
TAG and Omega are nice watches, but a real watch enthusiast would steer away from anything made since, iirc, the '60s.

So, assuming that you don't want a genuine Omega from those days with its genuine Omega internals and that you (like me!!) can't afford the likes of a Patek, you must be after something that you are happy to have on your wrist and show off to anyone that shows interest. A fashion item. Choose the one that YOU like.

If I were after another decent watch I'd go for a secondhand Omega from 1963 (my birth year). That would be for me to know about and feel good about. And it would be the real thing, not a cynical piece of ........ I'll shut up!!

Tony

EDIT:

I stand corrected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Watches

but my sentiment remains.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The watch will be coming from Goldsmiths. I'm not daft enough to spend 1.5k on a watch. I have loads of tesco clubcard points which I been saving up. Converting them to deals and using them in goldsmiths gives me just shy of 1k. But willing to put some more towards it, or wait another 3 months, where I should have another 300-400 quid's worth.

Would like something thats noticed by the right people. Nothing bling, just something nice that can, like said above raise convo with the right person.

Think it will just be a case of seeing them close up and then deciding, again, don't look like theres much in it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
For me there is no contest between a Tag or an Omega! The Omega wins hands down! Who cares if its a James Bond watch, thats not a bad thing if you ask me [:)] I think Omega are a more classy and better looking watch and also I think the quality is superiour too. I personaly wear a Tissot at the moment but I will add either a Breitling or an Omega or both [:p] to my collection as and when funds allow [:)]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I like some of the TAG Carrera watches and the Monaco, but other than that they don't do it for me.

I agree with the other Omega fans, thats the better ownership proposition, it won't date.

Glad to see you've narrowed it down to those two brands, helps keep my IWC exclusive! [:p]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Right I own a Tag and have had a few... now to disagree with above if your a real connesier you get a breitling or tissot...

Weelon sorry but I cannot see how a tissot can be compared to a tag the styling is eithere way to bland like a low end seiko or just plain messy like a cheap replica I buy my watches for what they look like plus an ability to be worn all day everyday... The tag is the only watch that can be worn 24/7 no matter what you do.... an Omega looks really out of place on a when crawling round udner desks with patch leads and pc cases....

Also I have tried n a Breitling (one of the smaller ones) and although lovely they are way way too big for my wrists so I wouldnt be able to have one evene if I wanted.... In my eyes I would be doing the same as Graham Tag or Omega. (TAG seem to be a much better fit for those with very smalll wrists)

I have this currently without the chrono

Posted Image

The thing is a few mates have omegas and whilst I agree they are a few leaugues ahead of my Tag, you cannot where them everyday unless you are desk bound and suited and booted.... my Tag however is at home up ladders on MTB rides, climbing round under desks or when I am suited an booted at an interview or with the Bank manager.... (the omega is only really fit for the bank manager bit)

The f1 is an all occasions watch, a bit like the Golf, you see surf bums wearing them with animal straps or people with ?1000 suits wearing them, they are classless and a good all round watch that is not trying to make s statement about wealth etc

So in my eyes if your going to wear it every day rain or shine get the Tag or if its for special ocasions / nights out etc get the Omega

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like your watch Andy, nice and chunky. You've pretty much stated exactly what I was thinking about the Omega, which is why probably I liked the look of the TAG more. The Omega would look excellent like you say with a nice suit, but I simply do not wear suits unless on a special occasion.

Think it will be a TAG for me, which is cheaper anyway. Then possibly in a years time, with more tesco points will get the Omega, dunno.

It's not about wealth at all for me, it's about spending a shed load of points before they expire on something nice!

·
Registered
87 Posts
At the end of the day it just comes down to personal preference and what you want to have on your wrist!

I personally am looking at getting a Breitling, but either a Tag, Rolex or an Omega are all fab watches.

One of my mates is watch mad and has a Jacob a

nd

·
Registered
87 Posts
At the end of the day it just comes down to personal preference and what you want to have on your wrist!

I personally am looking at getting a Breitling, but either a Tag, Rolex or an Omega are all fab watches.

One of my mates is watch mad and has a Jacob an

·
Registered
87 Posts

One of my mates is watch mad and has a Jacob and

·
Registered
87 Posts

One of my mates is watch mad and has a Jacob and Co, Breitling and a Cartier!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts